Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 15" Tyres - options
Kriss

posted on 28/12/07 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
15" Tyres - options

Hi all, ordering my new wheels and tyres today. Was gonna go for Toyo T1R's but wanted to know if there were any other reasonably priced tyres that people are fond of and suit a BEC Indy well.

Will be sued for "spirited driving" and the odd track event. Do not want to pay loads for R888 first time round and would not like to be caught out in a change of weather with them fitted either

cheers

Aico

posted on 28/12/07 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
Goodyear F1.
Yokohama AVS Sport.
There are so many UHP tires in 15" which all cost about the same.

Hellfire

posted on 28/12/07 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
Personally, I'd go for the R888's. We've done a trackday in the wet (and I mean WET ) on R888's and they're actually not too bad. I wouldn't go so far as to say that they're great in the wet, they're just not as bad as you'd imagine. And besides, how often are you gonna be driving in the rain in an open topped car?

Phil

gingerprince

posted on 28/12/07 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
To be honest with a car this light, is there such a thing as ANY tyre that's "great" in the wet?

The BF Goodrich rubber I have on my car (which I will be changing for R888's) has what seems like it should be a very good tread for wet weather, but regardless it's still slippier than an oiled kipper in the wet - which is why I took it so steady at Cadwell There's just no weight over the rear wheels, so any hint of standing water and you're a boat...but at least we're made out of boat materials

[Edited on 28/12/07 by gingerprince]

higgsti

posted on 28/12/07 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
marangoni zeta lineas have had good results this year in wscc speed series in all conditions also scudo stunners and £29 a tyre.the zetas are as soft as my 048s
Aico

posted on 28/12/07 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
What tires are those? I never heard of those before. Is it a street tire or a semi-slick?
Hellfire

posted on 28/12/07 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
Marangoni Zeta Linea.

A road legal tyre but unfortunately not available in that many sizes.

Phil

gingerprince

posted on 28/12/07 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
Those Marangoni's do look like a really good cheap tyre, and obviously raved about by the sprint types. However I wonder how long they would last on a track? Remember a sprint is only a minute or so, meaning presumably the tyres are soft enough to get up to temp very quickly. However will this make them any less durable on track than say R888's or soft Yoko's?

One slight concern is that Camskill list them under the "MPV/people carrier" section

Paul TigerB6

posted on 28/12/07 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
I would have thought that as they arent specifically designed for a lightweight track car the durability would be pretty good compared to R888's etc. I think they are cheap enough also to consider replacing them every year if required - you should get a full set of 195/50/15's which will be an ideal size for under £150.
Kriss

posted on 28/12/07 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
cheers for all the options chaps.

going to see my Halfords head office guy who is ordering them for me at a great price. Wills ee what the differences in tyres cost across what he can offer.

Will let you all know

cheers again

Kriss

gingerprince

posted on 3/1/08 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
[Edited on 3/1/08 by gingerprince]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.