Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: rose joints
oadamo

posted on 31/12/07 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
rose joints

mcgill sells 5 for £11 are these the ones that everyone uses for there cars. or do you have to buy the better ones.
adam

nitram38

posted on 31/12/07 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
Your description is as clear as my head right now!
A few more details like sizes would be a good starting point!

oadamo

posted on 31/12/07 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nitram38
Your description is as clear as my head right now!
A few more details like sizes would be a good starting point!

1/2 x 1/2 unf.heres the bay number 190185486791.
adam

cidersurfer

posted on 31/12/07 at 11:03 PM Reply With Quote
That does seem incredibly cheap. I paid about £18 each last year for mine, which I think were Aurora. The daddy are NMB which are about £45 each but they are proven by race teams and I've heard of the cheap ones being all done following a single track day. Depending upon what you're using the car for, you should spec the rose joint to suit. If you're using them in your suspension, then it's worth factoring in how much it costs to get the suspension properly set up if you're using cheaper bearings which could potentially fail more frequently. So, I went for a mid-range solution...

shimming solid lifters is a job for a friend...

nitram38

posted on 31/12/07 at 11:28 PM Reply With Quote
I have used Mcgill for the same size rod ends on the F1-2 with no problems after 1500 miles.
He is very good on price.
Just remember to check them regularly and you should be ok.

oadamo

posted on 31/12/07 at 11:40 PM Reply With Quote
ive just bought some so ill see what there like. i could always upgrade them later if they fail.
adam

Nick Skidmore

posted on 1/1/08 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
With rod ends (unless you are getting a known quality at a 'special offer' price) you get exactly what you are paying for.

Cheap = poor quality and durability.

Expensive = good quality and durable.

Buy the very best you can / can't afford they are cheaper in the long run.

[Edited on 1/1/08 by Nick Skidmore]

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
RazMan

posted on 1/1/08 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
As Nick says, you definitely get what you pay for.

£25 each is about right for quality PTFE lined rose joints that will last more than a few thousand miles.

My £12 cheapies only lasted 5K miles so I went for the NMB jobbies which have lasted twice that and still going strong.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mark chandler

posted on 1/1/08 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
Mine are the same as these and have done a bit of work now, still nice and tight, @ £3 each you cannot complain.

It keeps the build cost down, I recon you will need around 20 for a fully jointed system which is £60 for these opposed to £800 for some high range jobbies....

Okay they will expire earlier on but it then this cost becomes development and you know if the maths are right on the handling front.

oadamo

posted on 5/1/08 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
i had them come this morning. let me just say i can see why there £11 lol i wont be using these on my wishbones. theres slop in the balls already. if you shake them you can here them rattle.
adam

JB
Senior Builder

Posts 436
Registered 20/5/04

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built: V8 Kitten, 2 litre Lada, Space frame Minor,

posted on 6/1/08 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
Buy cheap buy twice.........

I am sure over a long time the cost of joints works out similar........ buy lots of cheap ones or expensive ones once, especially if you factor in the time taken to replace when you could be earning cash or having fun.

A cheap joint will not last as long and be weaker. Often you could buy a smaller, more expensive joint that will be as strong as the larger cheap one.

I bought NMB because I didnt want to change my joints after a few thousand miles, but theres 26 joints on my car at an average cost of £40........

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.