Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ZX9R Main Jet Size?
mackei23b

posted on 3/1/08 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
ZX9R Main Jet Size?

Hi there

I've got a ZX9R C1 engine with a TTS sausage air filter and an MK 4-2-1 exhaust fitted.

I've got a dynojet kit, but I'm after some advice, if you have a similar set up what size of main jet and needle setting did you use?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Ian

mistergrumpy

posted on 3/1/08 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
Roadrunners a good one to ask for this Ian. I think he had the same set up and ended up going back to the standard jets. I'll see if I can find the thread.
I think 155 seems to be the standard size. This thread is a good read for a start.

[Edited on 3/1/08 by mistergrumpy]

worX

posted on 3/1/08 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
I don't know the ZX9R jetting and would usually suggest going with what's been done before, but surely it makes sense that if you've increased the airflow by fitting a sausage filter and have a slightly better flowing exhaust, then it would be better to increase the amount of fuel fed in aswell?

Steve

mistergrumpy

posted on 3/1/08 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
In fact Roadrunner went back to the standard airbox but settled on 185's. With sausage filters I don't think that airflow actually increases, more decreases as the bike engines tend to like none disturbed air and with a sausage filter the air will be more turbulent as it will be drawing from around the engine bay area, Not to mention it will be hotter.

rj

posted on 3/1/08 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, I had mine down at TTS for a rolling road setup / install dynojet, I had already blocked off the air corrector holes,(that got it to run, but far too rich) and tts fitted the 140 main jets & dynojet needles (stage 1 dynojet kit )on 2nd grove from the top, that saw some improvements , then fitted 144 mains,and droped needles to top grove, not much difference save for a misfire at low revs,tts chap said needles may need to be put back to 2nd grove if bad at low revs, it was so I put them onto 2nd grove the next day. I intend to try the 140 mains again, as 144s didnt show any improvement but did give it a misfire at low revs. Probably could have done with a bit more time on tts rr, but it was 5.00pm by time we got as far as we did, so suggest 140 mains ,dynojet needles on 2nd grove from top and block of air correctors .
Mine is a C1 with pipercross sausage filter, Stuart Taylor manifold and std Honda fireblade alloy silencer, hope this helps

roadrunner

posted on 3/1/08 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
It is a can of worms really, mine was dynojetted, but missfired at 4500-5000 revs, so took it to Boggs, first thing he did was to remove the air correctors(Dave thinks that the Dynojet is'nt worth the money)then he went up to 190 jets, i still had a problem though, i swapped the carbs for a spare set, which improved things (i tried factory settings fist 160 jets i think)it back fired quit alot on overrun, so i was told to try bigger jets, i now have 185's in as Mr Grumpy said, it runs fine but another visit to Boggs is needed, oh and i now have the standard air box fitted, i know Marco has had his upto Boggs and Dave fitted 200 jets with sausage filter.

JoelP

posted on 3/1/08 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
i drilled my main to 165, left the rest, and it was a little rich. But i never set it up properly so a little rich was ideal really. I spent about £1.50 on a 1.65mm drill bit, job done.
matt.c

posted on 3/1/08 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote
Hmmmmm very interesting.

< ---------------

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.