oadamo

posted on 3/1/08 at 11:07 PM Reply With Quote
not locost at all

titanium chassis has it been done.
adam

Mr Whippy

posted on 3/1/08 at 11:11 PM Reply With Quote
good luck

read some articles on the SR71 and you'll see some slight issues, lightweight sure, easy to work forget it

personally I think the next step in 7 chassis design is a carbon tube version as per the fancy push bikes

[Edited on 3/1/08 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

posted on 3/1/08 at 11:25 PM Reply With Quote
Welding unobtainium is a very time consuming process.

Paul G

twybrow

posted on 3/1/08 at 11:29 PM Reply With Quote
For the relative cost and benefit, I just cant see why anyone would want to venture away from steel for a spaceframe like a 7. Surely you would be better looking at taking weight out elsewhere?

oadamo

posted on 3/1/08 at 11:36 PM Reply With Quote
the welding not a prob i could do it in my spare time at work. iam already making a steel chassis. but i got talking today and it came up about making it from titanium. so i might have a go at doing it. start from the ground up making everthing light brakes wheels the lot.
adam

Mr Whippy

posted on 4/1/08 at 12:02 AM Reply With Quote
Titanium is so last decade. Carbon nano tubes that's what you want. Or even create a nanobot workforce and get them to construct it atom by atom into a pure diamond honey comb

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
worX

posted on 4/1/08 at 12:34 AM Reply With Quote
Does Titanium have any fatigue issues like aluminium has?

Steve

oadamo

posted on 4/1/08 at 01:29 AM Reply With Quote
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanium

Fatigue limit is a property of ferrous alloys and titanium alloys[1]. It is the constant amplitude (or range) of cyclic stress that can be applied to a material without causing fatigue failure. Other structural metals such as aluminium, do not have a distinct fatigue limit and will eventually fail even from small stress amplitudes. In these cases, a number of cycles (usually 107) is chosen to represent the fatigue life of the material. The corresponding stress amplitude is then referred to as the "Endurance Limit". Typical values of the endurance limit (Se) for steels are 1/2 the ultimate tensile strength, to a maximum of 100 ksi. For irons, aluminums, and copper alloys, Se is typically .4 times the ultimate tensile strength. Maximum typical values for irons are 24 ksi, aluminums 19 ksi, and coppers 14 ksi.

02GF74

posted on 4/1/08 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
just curious but ...

1. what is weight of typical steel chassis?
2. what wold be wieght of one manufactured using Ti?
3. Cost of making from steel?
4. Same for Ti?

kikiturbo

posted on 4/1/08 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
if anyone has some free cash itching in his pocket, may I suggest some more exotic and much more expensive steel tubing.... like 15CDv6 seamless.... it is, oh, about 6x the price of 4130CrMo... or for the ultimate in steel coolness, CRW 1000N, cold drawn seamless stainless steel... with 1000 N/mm2 Tensile Strength.... just weld and polish..
nick205

posted on 4/1/08 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
Concentrating on using the best quality round tube and optimal chassis design would be far more effective than Ti IMHO. If you really wanted to go mad you could even specify double or triple butted tubes (as used on cycle frames) to reduce the weight even further.

Use TIG welding or possibly even TIG braising to join the tubes.

Design the chassis around a fully integrated full roll cage.

Use aero profile tube for the wishbones etc. (e.g. nitram38's Mota Leira build)

Kevlar full floor/underbody panelling.

Carbon fibre body work.

etc. etc.

twybrow

posted on 4/1/08 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
PDF with details of Cranfield Uni development carbon chassis

I have seen this thing up close, and it is some sturcutre! Certainly not at all locost, but a lovely route to go down if money is no object!

donut

posted on 4/1/08 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
Could you not poduce a kit of parts and bolt the titanium chassis together? No welding required

[Edited on 4/1/08 by donut]

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

Syd Bridge

posted on 4/1/08 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
Carbon Tubes......nahhh, been done!

Hexcel in between the tubes with a couple of layers of woven prepreg, forms a very stiff chassis. But, don't ask the price, as you could buy a very nice Cateringvan for the same cost.

Cheers,
Syd.

oadamo

posted on 6/1/08 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
ive ordered some sample tubes. to see what size i can use. i might get away with 0.5mm wall. iam going to test it to see how strong this stuff really is. before i even start to make anything out of it. we do a lot of this type of work at work but not out of tube. and i dont have to buy the wire as the gaffa said i could use what i needed. game on.
adam

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.