Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Any problems using a Granada diff?
Andy W

posted on 6/1/08 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
Any problems using a Granada diff?

I know the granada has five stud wheels, does anyone know if it possible to use Sierra shafts and hubs with the Granada diff. Will there be any problems with the finished width of the diff & shafts etc i.e will it end up to wide (i'm not sure what width a granada diff is)

Thanks Andy

jollygreengiant

posted on 6/1/08 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
AFAIK there is only one main difference between Sierra and Granada rear ends (apart from the bulk of the sub frames they mount to and that Granada's had ONLY bolt on shafts) and that is, that the drive plates to which you mount the wheels had either 4 stud fixing OR 5 stud fixing.

Hope this helps.

Edit bit.
What I did is to is use Granada rear end, but, when assembling the outer hub, the outer drive flange (that the wheel bolts to) is replaced with a Sierra or later Scorpio (4 stud) drive flange.

2nd edit bit.
I'm using a late Granada Scorpio (still 5 stud model/pre smiley face 4 stud) this diff has slightly wider webbing for which I had to modify the mounting bracket on the nearside with an angry grinder. The drive shaft mounting bolts are heavier than the early ones from the Sierra's and Granada's.

[Edited on 6/1/08 by jollygreengiant]

[Edited on 6/1/08 by jollygreengiant]

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

Kev99

posted on 6/1/08 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
I beleve that the granada diff is a 7 1/2" diff not a 7" but dont quote me on that

Kev............

jollygreengiant

posted on 6/1/08 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
YOu could also refer to this link.linky

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

Andy W

posted on 6/1/08 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks, So it looks like it should all fit. I did a couple of search's but managed to miss that thread com[letely

Andy

delboy

posted on 6/1/08 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
You can use the granada diff with sierra shafts, the simple way to acheive this is to release the entire granada shaft from inside the diff casing by taking out the retaining clip. You can then install sierra 26 spline push in shafts.
t.j.

posted on 7/1/08 at 07:27 AM Reply With Quote
OK: subtitle for the LHDrivers in the EU

It is the Ford Scorpio >85 (IRS and ABS) and not the Granada < 85.

The last IMO ugly Scorpio >1994 had also 4 studs for the wheels. (and disc-brakes)

Please feel free to correct my bad English, i'm still learning. Your Dutch is awfull! :-)

JB
Senior Builder

Posts 436
Registered 20/5/04

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built: V8 Kitten, 2 litre Lada, Space frame Minor,

posted on 7/1/08 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
My car is designed to take the 7" and 7 1/2" diffs, both bolt on drive shafts. The only difference in the mountings is the top mounting is wider on the 7 1/2" diff.

The pinion flange is also further forward on the 7 1/2" diff by about 10mm. This means the sliding joint on the prop is 10mm further compressed or 10mm further into the gear box

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.