Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Dick Bear's Italo Bruin
Dick Bear

posted on 15/1/08 at 04:16 AM Reply With Quote
Dick Bear's Italo Bruin

While waist deep and often baffled by the issues surrounding the development of the McBearen there were many occasions when I found relief from the pressure to complete that project by exploring the accomplishments of others who had accepted the challenge of producing a unique vehicle of their own. Some of these were full-blown builds like the one I was involved in while others were creative journeys produced on bits of paper using pencils, pens, inks and markers in addition to the occasional PhotoShop rendering thrown in for good measure. Within these 2-dimensional forms of automotive adventures I witnessed the work of an extraordinary designer who’s designs quickly emerged from among the many. His technique, talent and seemingly unlimited imagination for creating original designs captured my attention and gave me many moments of pleasure. I knew that if the time ever came for me to begin anew, I would seek his permission to create, in full scale, one of his designs… and I did.

Last June, I blindly e-mailed Italo to request permission to produce a variation of one of his original designs and without hesitation he replied and agreed to work with me on the particulars. The Italo Bruin is a bit different from Italo’s original drawing due to the fact that I wanted a mid-engine, different hot air management (radiator exhaust), longer wheelbase and in general a mid-sized vehicle rather than the sub-compact the original drawing depicted. The challenge was to incorporate these changes without losing its’ obvious Italian heritage, two-tone (dark charcoal/burnt red) color scheme, polished stainless steel roll-bar accent and mesh appointed rear panel combined with a serious under bite grill opening that to me suggested speed without moving an inch. Further, the body panels consist of smooth flowing curves, unlike the relatively sharp planes of the McBearen, all of which are ideal for wheeling the aluminum panels something I’m looking forward to after first go-around.

The Italo Bruin will have BIG POWER capability due to the never installed, 1971 351 Cleveland Cobra Jet crate motor a friends grandfather bought new (but never used) from Ford nearly 40-years ago.

Currently (contrary to the recommendations of a couple detractors) I am planning to fabricate an aluminum monocoque tub for the substructure from the mid-engine firewall forward with an independent and detachable tubular space frame rear section. The result should be an extremely light but stout structure to support the lightweight body. The extreme cab-forward position of the enclosed cockpit will have more creature comforts than were incorporated into the stripped-down quasi-replica [McBearen] but will, I hope, possess the same agility as my first custom design build.
Although a lot of design work has already gone into the project there is still a lot to be done before any fabrication can begin. As with the earlier project I am planning to keep a running journal on MetalMeet however, the speed of the build will be less aggressive due to less availability of free-time, health issues and family obligations.

I hope you like the Italo Bruin.

Dick Bear

PS. Please, throw projectiles no larger than a quarter using hands that have built something of your own …

www.marketpointproductions.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 15/1/08 at 04:27 AM Reply With Quote
are u sure thats to scale? I cant see the guy standing next to it getting in its so small

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
sgraber

posted on 15/1/08 at 04:34 AM Reply With Quote
I for one think it will be exquisite.

I wish you the best of luck and am really looking forward to seeing what those crafty hands of yours can wring out of sheets of aluminum.

You made a wise choice in going with Italo. He is so very talented.

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

Doug68

posted on 15/1/08 at 04:57 AM Reply With Quote
Dick, I for one am very glad to see you back with a new project and wish you every success!

I'm sure the hard part in this process method is making the design work in the real world and still look as good as the original concept drawings. It's always too tempting for designers to draw wheels that are too big and a glass house which is too small (in general that is not referring to Italo's design specifically).

Doug. 1TG
Sports Car Builders WA

Dick Bear

posted on 15/1/08 at 05:34 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Steve and Doug

Italo seems to be one of those exceptions to the rule as far as understanding what can and what may not be able to be built. He was very accommodating and open to suggestions while always protecting his visuals, as he should.

Whippy... Granted, it will be small (100" wheelbase) and on days my arthritis is active I may have to watch it sit in the shop but here is that same simulated 6" tall figure sitting quite comfortably within the vehicle. I doubt whether I'll receive offers from any pro football or basketball players unless it is for their wife or daughter.

Dick Bear

[Edited on 15/1/08 by Dick Bear] Rescued attachment 123.jpg
Rescued attachment 123.jpg

RazMan

posted on 15/1/08 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
The proportions look good to me Dick - quite similar to my own car in fact. I think your choice of engine might be a bit of a squeeze though - I am planning on the 4.2 Audi V8 for my next build and my engine bay is going to have to be stretched by 150mm to accomodate that!

You can always drop the floor a little to get a little more headroom and a 'laid back' seat will help too.

I am very interested in seeing any other angle views you may have - I am not too sure about the upper bodyline where the door meets the rear section but it might just be that view. Also, what style of door are you planning? Gullwing or scissor?

I will be glued to this thread from now on

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

crafty

posted on 15/1/08 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
Nice one... Ive seen his sketches all over the net and most of them look good.

I have an Ultima GTR. The wheelbase is 100.7".

The cabin is tight, and quite far forward.

Ive got an LS2 and a G50 in it, there's little room to the firewall.

Ive drooooled over your aluminium fab work..... I am in the planning stages of a scratch build, have bought an English wheel kit and had a little play with it.... I plan on learning to use it properly on the new build.

If you need any geometry off an Ultima, let me know.

Ultima GTR - 600hp Magnacharged LS2
MNR Vortx - Supercharged R1
Porsche 356 - midmounted Audi V8

Dom9

posted on 15/1/08 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
The car looks fantastic, Dick. I have been following Italo's work around the web for sometime and he definitely has some talent! I look forward to seeing this project progress!
iank

posted on 15/1/08 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
Looks good to my eyes.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

roverttt

posted on 15/1/08 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
Veery Preety
cloudy

posted on 15/1/08 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
lluuuurvvely
Puk

posted on 15/1/08 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
The dogs - where can we see more of Ital's work?

Before you judge a guy, walk a mile in his shoes. Then when you judge him, you're a mile a way and you've nicked his shoes.

RazMan

posted on 15/1/08 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
Mostly on Pistonheads

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

FUORISERIE

posted on 16/1/08 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys for the kind comments......

I accepted to work on this very exhiting project, because of the amazing metalshaping skills shown on the Mcbearen by Dick.

I admire Dick greatly, for what his hands can do with a sheet of metal, and gladly accepted to collaborate with him on this project.

I'm in the process of sending Dick final renderings of the new sportscar, so he will be able to show them here in the coming weeks.....

Cheers guys

Italo

[Edited on 16/1/08 by FUORISERIE]

Dick Bear

posted on 16/1/08 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
Italo Bruin build

Raz... Interesting that you asked about the doors. I had just finished P'shoping an illustration to see what different types of doors would look like (see attachment). And, you may be right about the 351 Cleveland but until I get all the bits together I won't know for sure. I'm hoping it will work and all the info I've collected indicates that it will but stacking up the components will ultimately be the proof to the pudding. If I find its futile there are many combinations that will work but the sinfulness of having that collector's V8 directly behind me is just too irresistible not to try.

I'm not sure what you mean about the "upper body line where it meets the rear section..." Is there an issue I haven't notice?

Crafty... thanks for the offer of the Ultima's geometry. For the last several months while Italo and I were making adjustments to the design I have measured every production sports car I found parked in malls and at dealerships. It seems that the 100" range is about right for what I'm trying to accomplish.

While I had the door raised I took some time to explore some interior appointments realizing that what is designed today may be a far cry from what is finally installed or fabricated. For now anyway the canvass is unspoiled so it's fun to see what could be. If I've figure right I should have a 4-5 inch (forward/backward) seat adjustment depending on what items I can legitimately eliminate from the front of the engine (fan, belts and pulleys etc). It all becomes a game of inches at this point as most of you have experienced.

Dick Bear Rescued attachment Sm Lambo.jpg
Rescued attachment Sm Lambo.jpg

crafty

posted on 16/1/08 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
Dick,

I was more referring to dimensions of suspension, engine+trans etc etc.

If you need anything let me know.

crafty

posted on 16/1/08 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
With photos scaled to same wheelbase, the seats are indeed far enough forward to fit a V8... more room than the Ultima.

ettore bugatti

posted on 16/1/08 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
Has the same atmosphere as Bugatti Veyron.

Bruin means in Dutch brown...

sgraber

posted on 16/1/08 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
One item of note. Ok actually 2. sorry

Headlamps. Before you go any further please decide on your headlamps, then measure them from behind and determine if they will fit where they are pictured.

Wheels. Looking at your scaled comparison to the Ultima I have to assume the ultima is running on 18's? Even if they are 17's - Does that mean you will be running 24's? If not, then size those wheels down to the appropriate scale to see where you really stand.

Those are my quarters/// from a guy who has really truly been there.

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

Dick Bear

posted on 16/1/08 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
Those are some BIG wheels

Steve, Crafty was kind enough to do that scale attachment. I'm not sure I totally agree with the technique used for the reason you point out (tire size) but as I said before the proof for whether the 351c will work is in having everything on hand. I know it works on paper but ....

Bruin is originally Dutch meaning brown and had something to do with a small brown bear in a childs story. I've always been told it means "a small bear" which I thought appropriate for the small size of the car and, of course, my last name.

Dick Bear

Delinquent

posted on 16/1/08 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sgraber
One item of note. Ok actually 2. sorry

Headlamps. Before you go any further please decide on your headlamps, then measure them from behind and determine if they will fit where they are pictured.

Wheels. Looking at your scaled comparison to the Ultima I have to assume the ultima is running on 18's? Even if they are 17's - Does that mean you will be running 24's? If not, then size those wheels down to the appropriate scale to see where you really stand.

Those are my quarters/// from a guy who has really truly been there.

Yep, they were my two concerns as well, and the wheels an obvious problem with simply scaling up a design. Comparing the overall height / wheel size etc to my design (same wheelbase as ultima) I think there is going to be some serious remodeling needed - the wheels are > 30% bigger in the sketch than they would really be - which is going to drastically alter the appearance - I've had to radically rework my bodywork just going down 5% in size!

[Edited on 16/1/08 by Delinquent]

ettore bugatti

posted on 16/1/08 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
Please note also that 17" wheels measure about 18" in sight. Since 17" apparantly is about the inner part of the wheel.

I put bruintje beer as an overlay over the Ultima.

Bruintje Beer
Bruintje Beer

[Edited on 16/1/08 by ettore bugatti]

RazMan

posted on 16/1/08 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
Dick, Looking at the overlay I still think that the engine bay will have to be stretched slightly for your chosen powerplant - is that engine in your drawing to scale?

Also, the Ultima is really quite cramped in the cabin area (makes mine look enormous anyway) but the Bruin looks as though it's even smaller. I had lots of sleepless nights trying to make the most of my cabin space, trying 4 different designs of seat (eventually choosing the Ultima version) and I dropped the seat pan by 50mm to gain another scrap of headroom. It's only JUST right for me now. I had also forgot that solid doors have a finite thickness which intrudes further into the cabin area than I had realised. Hinges, catches, gas struts etc all demand space so watch out for some surprises later.

One last point, I agree with Steve's comment about ensuring you have sufficient room for the headlights when the steering is on full lock & bump - I had to radically remodel my front section buck at the last minute for this reason which was rather frustrating.

Just another quarter (or 12.76p this side of the pond) gently tossed into the hat

[Edited on 16-1-08 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

Delinquent

posted on 16/1/08 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RazMan
Dick, Looking at the overlay I still think that the engine bay will have to be stretched slightly for your chosen powerplant - is that engine in your drawing to scale?

Another minor thought on those lines... what gearbox are you thinking of using?

A very squat rear end can lead to a few problems with choice there, worth getting the tape out if you have a decision.

goin2fast52

posted on 16/1/08 at 11:12 PM Reply With Quote
Regarding vertically opening doors:
One problem I notice with aftermarket LSD kits are that the doors look wierd because of the vertical doorcut most cars have. Try to make the forward doorcut curve more. I think this is what makes those doors work on Lamborghinis.

[Edited on 16/1/08 by goin2fast52]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.