Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: GRP .... mishaps and how to fix 'em
paulmw

posted on 20/1/08 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
GRP .... mishaps and how to fix 'em

Through out the build my black gel coat panels have picked up thier fair share of scratches. Also, taking the car to MK engineering today I caught the side panel on the floor and a small piece cracked off

Whats the best DIY fix

Cheers Paul

JB
Senior Builder

Posts 436
Registered 20/5/04

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built: V8 Kitten, 2 litre Lada, Space frame Minor,

posted on 20/1/08 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
If the scratches are small they should polish out.

Or fill them with gel coat and sand back.

Or spray on high build primer flat and then spray on yur top coat.

Triton

posted on 20/1/08 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by paulmw
Through out the build my black gel coat panels have picked up thier fair share of scratches. Also, taking the car to MK engineering today I caught the side panel on the floor and a small piece cracked off

Whats the best DIY fix

Cheers Paul

Hi Paul,
Wet n dry on the scratches but be carefull not to rub thru !! With the broken bit, use a grinder/file or whatever you have to dig the area out to good material clean with acetone to remove any wax etc then use gel coat from CFS called topcoat. Then it's back to the wet n dry and polish up. If the hole is huge it might pay to build the gel coat up in layers to avoid air pockets.

Black is not just black though when it comes to the pigment...some look like dark chocolate!
Ask the lads at MK to ask their grp bods for the RAL number for the black pigment.....sure they will sort it for you.

Cheers,
Mark

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
COREdevelopments

posted on 20/1/08 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
i am in the same situation as my body panels some damage, some were done before i even got them!! anyway i was thinking of using gelcoat too. would anyone know the RAL code to the yellow that GTS use? its the standard yellow.

Rob

mistergrumpy

posted on 20/1/08 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
RAL 1004

Triton

posted on 20/1/08 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
Ring Alex at CFS...(sound bloke) ask if they can mix you up a kg of top coat already pigmented....and wee tub of catalyst then use it like a filler but only mix a small bit at a time.

Mark

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.