Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Middy scratch builds roll call
Fred W B

posted on 24/4/08 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
I see some "stickys" popping up in other sections. How about we make this thread one so new browsers can see what we are all on about when they drop in?

I U2U'ed Fozzie to ask.

cheers

Fred W B

[Edited on 24/4/08 by Fred W B]

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

Fozzie

posted on 24/4/08 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
Apologies for the lateness of the reply Fred...... its been a very busy day!

ATB Fozzie

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

hughpinder

posted on 15/9/08 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
Well , I've been hanging around here for a while, so I thought I'd finally get my project on here.

It will be based on the mondeo as much as possible. The engine (zetec) will be inclined so the drive shafts will be horizontal in line with the wheel centres and the lowest part of the engine will be 120mm above the ground. I wil try to use the standard induction/ecu etc to keep costs down.
I want to use staight tube in the chassis (although the atom style cars do look good).
I will be using mx5 front uprights/brakes/hubs/wheels.

All the rest is partially designed, so get ready for some questions.

Hugh

m8kwr

posted on 8/10/08 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
Currently designing a single seater, for use on the road and track.

At present i am designing the wishbones, and then onto the chassis.

Learning to weld and use CAD.

Engine - R1 (unsure of year, as not brought it)
Rear Diff - sierra LSD converted for chain drive - there is a reverse module to be added later.

Chassis - tubular steel
Wheels :195/50/15
Suspension - inboard

Shell, hopefully will be fibre glass, and i am going to try and make it myself.....

eurokraft

posted on 14/1/09 at 07:19 AM Reply With Quote
new member...

Hello everyone, wanted to say hello, new here, from USA, california, and wanted to show a bit what I'm doing to you guys, the 2 minis pictured are built over an original early toyota MR2 chassis that has been shortened at the rear fire wall, the mini body is steel the wide body glassfiber design ed and built by me.
At the moment I am building a tube frame, based on "Graber cars" chassis plans, hope to have it done soon. the body will be all glassfibre, molds are already made, so things are looking good!

cheers, Tony

[Edited on 14/1/09 by eurokraft]

[Edited on 14/1/09 by eurokraft]

kb58

posted on 14/1/09 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
I remember a mid-engine Mini about 15 years ago in a kit-car magazine. It was from the San Francisco area and they did exactly that, basically put the shell over an MR2. It was yellow if I recall, with huge fender flares.

Are you the same guy and is the yellow car there the same one?

[Edited on 1/14/09 by kb58]

Mid-engine Locost - http://www.midlana.com
And the book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/midlana/paperback/product-21330662.html
Kimini - a tube-frame, carbon shell, Honda Prelude VTEC mid-engine Mini: http://www.kimini.com
And its book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/kimini-how-to-design-and-build-a-mid-engine-sports-car-from-scratch/paperback/product-4858803.html

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
eurokraft

posted on 15/1/09 at 06:58 AM Reply With Quote
yeap that's me, but...it was 1999 not quite 15 years yet lol, u got a good memory
the one in primer ahs just been sitting around, (very slow development).
congrats on your mini, looks cool! Tony
here's a link to that kit car article

http://www.kitcarmag.com/featuredvehicles/5642_toyota_mr2_mini_cooper_hybrid/index.html

kb58

posted on 15/1/09 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
Didn't realize it was 1999, mostly since I started my own car back in 1996 or so. I actually called you back then about possibly purchasing a shell.

And the book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/midlana/paperback/product-21330662.html
Kimini - a tube-frame, carbon shell, Honda Prelude VTEC mid-engine Mini: http://www.kimini.com
And its book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/kimini-how-to-design-and-build-a-mid-engine-sports-car-from-scratch/paperback/product-4858803.html

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
eurokraft

posted on 15/1/09 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
It's possible, after that article on kit car, I was inundated with calls, unfortunatly I didn't have much to sell, just recently I did the molds for the complete, body, actualy almost complete lol, still didn't do the roof!
At the moment I'm working on a chassis, based on Steve Graber's plans, you might have heard off him? I think his chassis is the perfect mach for my mini, it beeing based on the mr2 also.
Anyway, I'm hoping to have an all glass body w that chassis, soon!
Tony

cheapracer
Builder

Posts 156
Registered 29/11/08

Photo Archive Go!
Building: The Worlds next big thing of course!

posted on 21/1/09 at 06:20 AM Reply With Quote
Hey Guys,

I'm developing an Exo Sleleton car both for myself and later for sale in any form and would like to show you a couple of months progress report.

http://www.flickr.com/cheapracer

Yes it is Atom-ish but wait for the bodywork before you write it off as just that, I think it's a bit special!

Currently using Toyota 4AFE motor and trans and talking to some people about Z-Tec 1.8 and 2.0's as I write this steering towards the Toyota 2.2 5S-FE engine which people could also use the well known 3S-GTE Turbo in the same hole.

And please don't tell the Atom Forum, I just wouldn't feel safe at night Wink

Mark

[Edited on 21/1/09 by cheapracer]

It's coming....

eurokraft

posted on 21/1/09 at 07:12 AM Reply With Quote
cheapracer....

congrats man, I think you are on to something, I think the body will make waves cheers, Tony

suparuss

posted on 22/1/09 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
its been a long time but im back now so everything is going to be ok! my project as some of you know is a 2 seater scratch build with an audi 5pot from an '86 coupe gt.
i decided building the bodywork in a single garage was just plain stupid, crazy and impossible so dropped the project for a while. since then ive done my loft conversion, landcaped my garden, got married and finally built a nice big slightly oversized double garage yippeee. so here we are again, ive got bit more work to do round the house and then im back to the car full time again! heres a pic of where it is now-

recent bodywork
recent bodywork

Fred W B

posted on 23/1/09 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Russ

Nice to see you back, was wondering what happened to you!

quote:

building the bodywork in a single garage was just plain stupid, crazy and impossible

ain't that the truth!

Photo looks good, look foward to seeing further progress

Cheers

Fred W B

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

Doug68

posted on 24/1/09 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
Suparuss,

Good to see you back! I'd thought you'd fallen off of your perch.

Doug. 1TG
Sports Car Builders WA

suparuss

posted on 25/1/09 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
cheers, its nice to be back! and nice o see some familiar names and lots of interesting projects
andygtt

posted on 2/2/09 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
Hi all... after a year out im finally in a possition to get back on my project...

Andy

please redefine your limits.

Joe T

posted on 6/4/09 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
Hello Andy

Nice to hear your back on your project, still looks very cool

Got a stand at Detling next weekend, come and say hello if your about.

Cheers

Joe T
Costin Roadster Project
Work in progress

Mad Dave

posted on 6/4/09 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
I thought I'd join in and show you my build.

Its going to be a road legal buggy powered by an Aprilia RSV engine. Its based on an Edge Barracuda

I'm well into the build and so far I've fabricated all the chassis, wishbones, uprights etc. I taught myself how to use a lathe and have made virtually every part myself.

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

More pics in my archive in 'Buggy build' folder. Hope you like it!?!

Dave

nitram38

posted on 6/4/09 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
Very nice work!

kb58

posted on 27/4/09 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
My next project is a mid-engine car combining the best of the Locost and being mid-engine, and called "Midlana." Another book is in the works, this one with plans.

[Edited on 4/27/09 by kb58]

Joe T

posted on 28/4/09 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
Finally got the screen sorted on the Costin Roadster and a roller built up for some shows this year, 2 other cars in build.

[Edited on 28/4/09 by Joe T]

Cheers

Joe T
Costin Roadster Project
Work in progress

Dinoman

posted on 27/5/09 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
My Attempt at Building a Middi so far

quote:
Originally posted by m8kwr
Currently designing a single seater, for use on the road and track.

At present i am designing the wishbones, and then onto the chassis.

Learning to weld and use CAD.

Engine - R1 (unsure of year, as not brought it)
Rear Diff - sierra LSD converted for chain drive - there is a reverse module to be added later.

Chassis - tubular steel
Wheels :195/50/15
Suspension - inboard

Shell, hopefully will be fibre glass, and i am going to try and make it myself.....

Hi I am trying to keep going building my Mid Engined Track car from scratch this is as far as I have got sofar, got bogged down doing Pullrod suspension , so engine and box is vauxhall 20XE on Bike Throttle Bodies and Megasquirt ECU, body shell is already made in mould and is the lovely Ferrari 308 GTS so should at least look very nice ,Regards DM Rescued attachment Track Car with wheels.JPG
Rescued attachment Track Car with wheels.JPG

minitici

posted on 27/5/09 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote

Sports Libre middy (ZX12R)

Dinoman

posted on 28/5/09 at 04:47 AM Reply With Quote
4130 Tubing

quote:
Originally posted by kikiturbo
Project : x1000
Builder : Vladimir aka. kikiturbo
Chassis : Scratch built spaceframe, 4130 tubing
Suspension : Double A arms, using custom uprights, pushrods and probably AVO coilovers
Brakes: Wilwood 4 pot powerlites front and rear, non vented discs, inboard discs at the rear
Engine/gearbox : 2006 GSXR 1000 and box running OE ECU and possibly DTA S60 later on, chain drive, Lancia delta integrale Torsen LSD diff, running in a custom enclosure
Body : minimal, nosecone, and one sidepod with the rad
Wheels/tyres : Compomotive CXR, Front 6x13, rear 6x13, 175/60 or 185/55 13, Avon or yokohama road legal trackday tyres.
Build Status : Most of the components allready bought... waiting for some more tubing to come to weld the chasis togeather, design of the chasis at 90%, suspension design finished, wooden mockup of the chasis made.

Hi just wondering how are you going to heat treat your tubing once you have it all welded together and also what rods will you be using, Regards DM

TPG

posted on 9/7/09 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
I've been chipping away at this slowly, (and will continue to do so....).This is only the start,theres lots of tubes missing still!I'm fitting/allowing for a 'screen.Zetec from a mondillyo in the back or middle if you like and a canvas roof,and the biggest thing, 2+2 seating arrangement. All this because its an ar*e only 2 people going anywhere at once and our weather (Hence screen and roof allowance).Going for the exo style of look, a few panels here and there..... Rescued attachment nsf fnt and rear hoops and roof small.jpg
Rescued attachment nsf fnt and rear hoops and roof small.jpg

..Which was nice..

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.