Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Balancing propshafts
liam.mccaffrey

posted on 6/2/08 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
Balancing propshafts

what are people thoughts on putting wet newspaper in a home modified propshaft to balance it. Assuming the welding is good.

I just had a conversation with a guy who runs a pro street Camero with 600HP and he say he has done this for 20 years without a problem and never paid for a balance job on a propshaft

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

worX

posted on 6/2/08 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
It's probably better than nothing?!??!

I know my propshaft is NOT Balanced

Steve

welderman

posted on 6/2/08 at 03:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by worX
It's probably better than nothing?!??!

I know my propshaft is NOT Balanced

Steve

i agree.

short track 123

posted on 6/2/08 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
What happens when it drys out?

Jason

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
02GF74

posted on 6/2/08 at 03:40 PM Reply With Quote
Plain brown wrapping paper is better, I mean, how the hell are you gonna be able to read it at that speed?!?!!

but seriously, how is the meant to work? propshafts may be hollow but the ends are sealed so how do you get paraper inside it?

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 6/2/08 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
put it in before you weld it up!

well i asked him about drying out and he said that as it is seald inside the shaft, it will never dry out. He said he cut one up after 3 years and it was as wet as when he put it in there

[Edited on 6/2/08 by liam.mccaffrey]

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

tegwin

posted on 6/2/08 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
I dont know about you but the thought of putting an oxidising agent in an unbalanced propshaft that spins that close to my nutsack is not a wise plan!
02GF74

posted on 6/2/08 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
so how is this damp newspapar supposed to balance the shaft?
britishtrident

posted on 6/2/08 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
I think the tradditional jubilee clip method is a safer bet.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 6/2/08 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
I agree, oxidising compound inside propshaft, not good

what else could you soak the paper in that would protect the inside of the prop.

first thought was diesel, but welding a steel tube full of hydrocarbon vapour is like a recipe for death.

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

nick205

posted on 6/2/08 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
how much does it cost to have a propshaft balanced professionally?

Just a thought....!

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 6/2/08 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
BT is there a method for the jubilee clip or is it a suck it and see whats best deal?

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

Paul TigerB6

posted on 6/2/08 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
This might be Locostbuilders but there are certain areas i wouldnt skimp on - and balancing a propshaft is one of those.

How on earth are you supposed to balance a propshaft by putting newspaper inside it before welding it up?? Funniest idea i've heard in ages so i'd love to know how it works. For starters simply welding it will add an imbalance surely unless its got perfectly uniform welds and the ends are perfectly central (and in balance!!)

I'll stick with a professionally made prop myself with a TRT fitted and pay the financial cost, not the safety cost if it goes wrong.

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 6/2/08 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
i am by no means championing this as a solution, just a discussion point but i think the idea is that the shft imbalance will 'migrate' the wet newspaper to where it needed to bring the shaft into balance.

come to think of it i seem to recall a product which was specifically for this,a kind of gel or cream which you could put inside rotating objects and would balance them????

[Edited on 6/2/08 by liam.mccaffrey]

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

JonBowden

posted on 6/2/08 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
I think putting some sort of fluid inside an unbalanced rotating tube will only make it more unbalanced.
I guess you could work out an experiment using an electric drill to prove it one way or the other.

Jon

nick205

posted on 6/2/08 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
I once tried the green goo that you put in tyres to stop punctures. I was so fed up with punctures on my BMX I thought I'd givie it a try. It was crap at stopping punctures and worse than that it used to collect at the bottom of the tyre when the bike was left stationary. This produced a noticeable imbalance when you first set off again until it spread itself out more evenly.

I'm not convinced about wet newspaper in a proshaft myself.

02GF74

posted on 6/2/08 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by liam.mccaffrey
i am by no means championing this as a solution, just a discussion point but i think the idea is that the shft imbalance will 'migrate' the wet newspaper to where it needed to bring the shaft into balance.

come to think of it i seem to recall a product which was specifically for this,a kind of gel or cream which you could put inside rotating objects and would balance them????

I find that hard to believe.

Ask yourself why do quick fit and other tyre places have expensive wheel balancing equipements if all that is needed is somemonkey to shove some wet newspaper inside your tyre.

no - not aimed at you at all - sorry - just it is the pahrse of the moment - I am curious about the physicssicis on how this works.

[Edited on 6/2/08 by 02GF74]

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 6/2/08 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
bit strongly worded ain't it! is that directed at me?

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

Peteff

posted on 6/2/08 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
I've never heard of this method and can't see how it works. The washing in the machine at the moment is making a hell of a job of unbalancing itself and must work on the same principle.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 6/2/08 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
The reason I posted this was because i was suprised, i asked the guy with the Camero where he got his propshaft done and he went on to explain the newspaper deal

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

dhutch

posted on 6/2/08 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin
I dont know about you but the thought of putting an oxidising agent in an unbalanced propshaft...

But of cause, if the shaft is fully welded, and the papers not drying out, no oxygen is going to get in.
- Same principle with everything else that we weld up fully, and then only paint/grease/galv the outside of.

However, i cant quite get my head round how it will/would/could balence the shaft for you. And would deffonatly invest in geting the shaft balenced for me if i was building a car with a diy propshaft.

Daniel

[Edited on 6/2/08 by dhutch]

bobs bangers

posted on 6/2/08 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
go to www.vibrationfree.co.uk Steve Smith the proprietor is a personal friend of mine and incredibly knowledgeable on all propshaft and balance matters. He does work for some of the biggest names in the motoring manufacture.

Regards

Bob

JB
Senior Builder

Posts 436
Registered 20/5/04

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built: V8 Kitten, 2 litre Lada, Space frame Minor,

posted on 6/2/08 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
I have worked in the prop industry and have never heard the one about putting in wet newspaper to balance it. A lot of truck shafts have a cardboard tube inside the tube but this has nothing to do with balance.

My engineering knowledge can not see how the wet newspaper car balance it. The washing machine is a good example!

I would pay to have a prop built and balanced everytime unless you really know what you are doing.

If you insist on trying to balance your own shaft then you need a "clock" to find the low spot then experiment with the amount of weight. I have balanced hundreds of shafts so could take a guess at the amount required.

However I still would never try to do it myself.

02GF74

posted on 7/2/08 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by liam.mccaffrey
The reason I posted this was because i was suprised, i asked the guy with the Camero where he got his propshaft done and he went on to explain the newspaper deal

that is ok - it was useful to discus this sort of thing.

les g

posted on 7/2/08 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
prop balance

erm !!!!!
there is somethimg in this theory that is right, cant get a grip on why/how it works ,but when we get a wheel wobble on one of our trucks the tyre fitter will split the bead from the rim and pop a weighted bag inside and reinflate the tyre the wobble usually goes away i will ask him next time hes in,it does work honestly
it must be the same princile
cheers
les g

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.