Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Suspension books - recommendations ?
clanger

posted on 17/2/08 at 01:03 AM Reply With Quote
Suspension books - recommendations ?

Hi,
Thinking ahead to my front ZX12 engined, RWD mini project and the rear chassis setup, I've been looking at buying a few books by Staniforth to get my creative juices flowing.
Race & Rally Car Source Book, and Competition Car Suspension.

I don't want to "re-invent the wheel" when it comes to my RWD setup and design from scratch, but want a good starting point in order to end up with a good handling car when its finished.

I'm planning a double wishbone IRS setup and was thinking of the following:

Using one of the book chassis designs and shrinking the track and associated suspension components down to fit Mini dimensions
or
Using the above books and alot of research to adapt some form of race car setup.

Any thoughts ?

Ta

tegwin

posted on 17/2/08 at 01:30 AM Reply With Quote
Buy the Kimini book....its good!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

kb58

posted on 17/2/08 at 02:29 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks, tegwin!

Also, check out my book list on my site.

Mid-engine Locost - http://www.midlana.com
And the book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/midlana/paperback/product-21330662.html
Kimini - a tube-frame, carbon shell, Honda Prelude VTEC mid-engine Mini: http://www.kimini.com
And its book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/kimini-how-to-design-and-build-a-mid-engine-sports-car-from-scratch/paperback/product-4858803.html

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
clanger

posted on 17/2/08 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kb58
Thanks, tegwin!

I did look at your book and website

Would it be of use to me with a conventional front engine RWD setup?
You seem to concentrate heavily on the mid engine setup?

Thanks

Echidna

posted on 17/2/08 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by clanger
quote:
Originally posted by kb58
Thanks, tegwin!

I did look at your book and website

Would it be of use to me with a conventional front engine RWD setup?
You seem to concentrate heavily on the mid engine setup?

Thanks

Buy the book, never mindwhat setupyou are going to build. I have it and the book learns you to think and find solutions, not just follow the instructions.
Comparing the classic "hot to build" books with the Kimini one, i would tell that the last one is the book for engineers ans the first for the fabricators.

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
MikeCapon

posted on 17/2/08 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
Get yourself the Competition Car Suspension book by Staniforth. There is a lot of good stuff and food for thought for your kind of project. Loads of real good ideas for all sorts of applications. You can never have too much knowledge of this subject.

www.shock-factory.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JEPY

posted on 17/2/08 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
I like " How to build & modify sportscar and kit car suspension and brakes ofr Road and Track" by Des Hammill.

Covers the basics of geometry and setup and is applicable to all vehicles. Once you know what setup you're after, you should be able to design a system to fit the dimensions of you project.

indykid

posted on 17/2/08 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
get down to your local library and see if they have a copy of race car vehicle dynamics by milliken and milliken.

i'd read various suspension design books, but i think that one covers everything most thoroughly. there's a lot of maths in it, but if that scares you, if you look around the equations, there's some good text too.

don't try buy it. it's over £100 if you can find a copy, but i'm on my 3rd renewal since i got it out of the uni library.

the 2 staniforth books have a lot of similar material

tom

JB
Senior Builder

Posts 436
Registered 20/5/04

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built: V8 Kitten, 2 litre Lada, Space frame Minor,

posted on 17/2/08 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
2nd vote for Milikin and Milikin.

The first viewing will scare you because of all the maths but read it and it tells you so much. If you can understand and apply everything in that book then you can work for car manufacturers, race teams etc!

I also like all of Carroll Smiths books.

JEPY

posted on 17/2/08 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
Indykid,

Is that the book that shows you how to mock up the suspension arms (I think it's referred to as a calclutor or computer) and show what happens to the camber/castor as the suspension deflects?

James

C10CoryM

posted on 17/2/08 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
For a first read I would highly recommend "chassis engineering" by Herb Adams. Well laid out, easy to read, and simple enough to figure out.

"Our watchword evermore shall be: The Maple Leaf Forever!"

clanger

posted on 17/2/08 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers All,
Will paying the local library a visit in the coming weeks / months.
Last time I was a member I was building my first car., should have seen the librarians face when I asked her to order the then current SVA manual

Plenty of bed time reading with that lot

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.