Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: About as low as you can get - Lotus 23 body based builds
leto

posted on 26/2/08 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
About as low as you can get - Lotus 23 body based builds

We are a few friends how are just starting build projects based on Lotus 23. We have acquired a set of good GRP-molds and at the moment we are looking for someone to make the bodies. We have also started to model a frame in 3d-cad after a set of paper drawings we bought a from Lee Chapman Racing.
At the moment we are talking about two builds with bike engines and VW-trans axles and two with engine and gearbox from some front wheel drive car, possibly Suzuki Swift, plus one more still to be decided. It is still very early in planing so expect changes.
Biggest problem at the moment is deciding on what front uprights to use. The frames will probably stray more or less from the original. I'm planing a build mainly for road use. with square tube frame, slightly longer and wider cockpit and a transverse engine. In time (likely looong), we hope to be able to release drawings for the frames.
23-frame01
23-frame01

“I'm gonna ride around in style
I'm gonna drive everybody wild
'Cause I'll have the only one there is a round”. (J. Cash)

Guinness

posted on 26/2/08 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
Cool!

My friend, Andy, bought a 23C last year. He races it in the HSCC.

Andy in a Lotus 23c at Cadwell
Andy in a Lotus 23c at Cadwell

Mike

stevebubs

posted on 26/2/08 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
Hmm...any plans to produce extra bodies?
andybod

posted on 26/2/08 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
hi i'm currently rebuilding a noble 23 which is lee noble recreation of the lotus23 but the body tub is a few inches wider the noble uses cortina front uprights and square box frame chassis if you wat any easurements off mine don't hessitate to ask hopefuly a picture before it was painted

kb58

posted on 26/2/08 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
The 23 is the only car that I thought, "No way I'd ever drive that on the street." Waaaay too low. Your head is about the same height as wheel hubs of trucks. Get any closer than 50ft behind a minivan and you're absolutely invisible.

[Edited on 2/26/08 by kb58]

Mid-engine Locost - http://www.midlana.com
And the book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/midlana/paperback/product-21330662.html
Kimini - a tube-frame, carbon shell, Honda Prelude VTEC mid-engine Mini: http://www.kimini.com
And its book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/kimini-how-to-design-and-build-a-mid-engine-sports-car-from-scratch/paperback/product-4858803.html

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Rogue Se7ens

posted on 27/2/08 at 01:53 AM Reply With Quote
I love the 23 and before getting into locost I looked far and wide for frame drawings but finally gave up.
I am currently developing uprights for my composite Mini and Locost projects, that use standard hub assemblies and hope to sell them aftermarket once I get them completed and tested.
Let us know if you think you will send anything stateside.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
leto

posted on 29/2/08 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
Guinness
Nice! I don't think we will get into more serious racing than a trackday now and then.

stevebubs
Well, yes. But the transport might be a problem, we are located in Sweden.

andybod
Lovely. A little wider on the “inside” won't hurt. The original is less then 36” wide, a 7-S2 is 37”.

kb58
A 23 is lower than a seven alright but not that much lower. About an inch or two, so the problem is about the same.

Rogue Se7ens
At the moment we are only producing dreams and we can make them here. When needs get more specific we'll let you know. Thanks!

kb58

posted on 29/2/08 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by leto
kb58
A 23 is lower than a seven alright but not that much lower. About an inch or two, so the problem is about the same.

Do you have numbers to compare? I stood next to an authentic Lotus 23, and it was very, very low. My impression was that it was maybe 25% lower than a Seven.

Also, "just a couple inches" is far more than just that. Those few inches are the difference between being really hard to see, and invisible.

Mid-engine Locost - http://www.midlana.com
And the book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/midlana/paperback/product-21330662.html
Kimini - a tube-frame, carbon shell, Honda Prelude VTEC mid-engine Mini: http://www.kimini.com
And its book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/kimini-how-to-design-and-build-a-mid-engine-sports-car-from-scratch/paperback/product-4858803.html

stevebubs

posted on 29/2/08 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
stevebubs

Ignoring transport costs, I'd be interested in knowing how much a bodyshell would be (will send U2U with my email address)

leto

posted on 1/3/08 at 12:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kb58
quote:
kb58

Do you have numbers to compare? I stood next to an authentic Lotus 23, and it was very, very low. My impression was that it was maybe 25% lower than a Seven.

Also, "just a couple inches" is far more than just that. Those few inches are the difference between being really hard to see, and invisible.

If you count the windscreen you are right, considering how visible the windscreen of a seven is I don't think that's a fair comparison. The 23 is listed at 26” here. The body of a “by the book”-locost with a 5” ground clearance is just over 26”. The only listing of a seven's body hight i found is for S1 at 27.5” lhere. A S2 with 5” ground clearance will also land at 27,5” according to George Cushing's drawing.
We got a body and most parts for a rolling chassis together with the molds so I have a pretty good idea what a 23 looks like beside a seven. I believe the narrow body of a seven makes it look higher than it actually is

leto

posted on 1/3/08 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevebubs
quote:
stevebubs

Ignoring transport costs, I'd be interested in knowing how much a bodyshell would be (will send U2U with my email address)

We don't know any prices yet and it will be some time until we do. I'll return when I have some answers. We hope to beat these guys: link-1, link-2

The 23 is not that rare, if you ask around some, especially in historic racing circles, theres a good chance you can track down someone how has a set of molds. That's what we did and “someone” was in the mood to sell, lucky us

Andy S

posted on 3/7/09 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
Resurrection of an old thread I know but I have just popped onto my local industrial estate to see if i could get some glass fibre resin and mat from a local moulder - Guess what - Yep Lotus 23 mold in the back of the shop and yes he would build one if you wanted and even had plenty of Racing green gel coat - price is very reasonable.

Hmmmmmmmm.

Andrew

iank

posted on 3/7/09 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
Having been in Guinness' mates garage I can say with certainty that the 23c is at it's highest point (back end) roughly the same height as a Lotus 7 mk4's bonnet.

You do sit a lot more reclined in it though so your eye height is lower.

It looks a lot lower because the front end is very very low, and considerably shorter than a 7. So low it will be difficult to get the lights legal for a road car I'd have thought.

Wasn't there someone here rebuilding a Noble replica?

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

andybod

posted on 23/12/09 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
i'm still building the noble and at it's highest point i think it's 32 inches now all in paint and slowly being rebuilt hopefully there should be a picture atached Rescued attachment nokia 015.jpg
Rescued attachment nokia 015.jpg

Ivan

posted on 23/12/09 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
A local race workshop has a full set off blue prints measured off an original Lotus 23 - made when he did an exact copy for the owner of an original who wanted to race the copy and preserve the original - I am sure he would be happy to make a copy for you. (The copy has a Toyota 20V in it.

U2U me and if there is interest I can talk to him.

designer

posted on 23/12/09 at 11:34 PM Reply With Quote
Like most early Lotus and Brabhams, the 23'S front uprights were from the Triumph Herald.

I have forgotten the company that made them.

iank

posted on 24/12/09 at 12:03 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by designer
I have forgotten the company that made them.

Alford & Adler

See this thread for more
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=87851

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Angel Acevedo

posted on 24/12/09 at 06:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kb58
quote:
kb58

If you have any doubts, ask James Dean.

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

Alan B

posted on 24/12/09 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Angel Acevedo
much snipped......

But that was a Porsche right?.....but I think I get your point

iank

posted on 24/12/09 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alan B
quote:
Originally posted by Angel Acevedo
much snipped......

But that was a Porsche right?.....but I think I get your point

Yes a 550 spyder, and a silver one at that.
If you have a small low car don't have them painted in difficult to see colours.

--
Anonymous

Ivan

posted on 8/1/10 at 08:08 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ivan
A local race workshop has a full set off blue prints measured off an original Lotus 23 - made when he did an exact copy for the owner of an original who wanted to race the copy and preserve the original - I am sure he would be happy to make a copy for you. (The copy has a Toyota 20V in it.

U2U me and if there is interest I can talk to him.

Have subsequently spoken to them - can't let you have copy of plans as plans don't belong to them, they say plan isn't an exact replica but substantially the same and suspension pick up points are as per original.

Off the cuff he thinks he can make a chassis for around 3500 pounds + transport to England from SA

dmulally

posted on 14/1/10 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
I have done some testing of my 23 on the road.

I could write war and peace but the bottom line is that its a death trap.

A fun one though.

Neville Jones

posted on 14/1/10 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
I was a young boy, and present at Lakeside, when a mate of my father was killed in one of those. They went to school together, and were very close friends.

A traumatic day which I still remember vividly. It went under the armco, just exiting the downhill onto the straight.

I can still see the state of the car, as it sat on the recovery truck. Not a pretty sight.

Circuits now have better safety, and I'd like to think this would never happen again. But, armco on some roads and highways is still too high at the bottom edge.

Nev.

[Edited on 14/1/10 by Neville Jones]

ettore bugatti

posted on 14/1/10 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
The current Caterham upright is improved over the older Triumph design, just search on trunnion here.

Geometry should be better then the Cortina ones.

designer

posted on 15/1/10 at 01:54 AM Reply With Quote
Lotus 23 drawing

/http://enderw88.wordpress.com/drawings/

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.