Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: ally welding
Miks15

posted on 30/4/08 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
ally welding

Anyone close to me (grantham in lincolnshire) any good at ally welding? Need my sump welding back up and want to see what it would cost to get it done?

cheers

Mr Whippy

posted on 30/4/08 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
I used these kind of rods in the past to weld ali, they work very well and are easy to use and give superb welds.

http://www.aluminiumrepair.co.uk/index.html

[Edited on 30/4/08 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
BenB

posted on 30/4/08 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
Wow! Looks better than the old friction stick ali brazing stuff.....
Mr Whippy

posted on 30/4/08 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
Well to give you an idea how good these things are, one of my old jobs was making test rigs for offshore drills (casing drills). I would get a block of aluminium and use these rods to 'weld' in blocks of diamond (about 50 at a time) then I'd do drill tests against concrete blocks. The welded metal was as hard as the normal aluminium, it never ripped or peeled off, rather it actually mixed with the base metal and amazingly it melted at about 500 deg centigrade! i.e. lower than the aluminium’s melting point! there is another metal in the rods that does this trick, I forget which one. I've also used them to repair and mod inlet manifolds and Landys owners tend to be very familiar with them also.

The rods I used were called Techoweld but are the same thing as these.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

posted on 30/4/08 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
couldn't really tell by a quick look through, but what kind of heat does it need? looks like a standard blowtorch in the photo

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Mr Whippy

posted on 30/4/08 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
I just used a normal propane torch; the rod goes mushy then starts to melt the ali and then becomes a pool. There is a wide temperature range where the metal is semi- fluid so it doesn't all end up on the floor. 30mins practice and you'd be welding away no bother, piece of cake. I had about 1kg ‘obtained’ from work and used it all up welding new landys panels and stuff, still got a lovely mod I did on my v6’s manifold

blakep82

posted on 30/4/08 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
^ stunnin'
i'm needing to start making my intake manifold. i'm going to make a steel one as a test, then hopefully get a alloy flange and redo/'refine' (lol) it

need to find a flange though...

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

blakep82

posted on 30/4/08 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
oh, er, just seen the price... not a huge price tag, but more than i expected i think... might have a go at perfecting alloy mig welding instead...

er, i say 'perfecting'

BenB

posted on 30/4/08 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Well to give you an idea how good these things are, one of my old jobs was making test rigs for offshore drills (casing drills). I would get a block of aluminium and use these rods to 'weld' in blocks of diamond (about 50 at a time) then I'd do drill tests against concrete blocks. The welded metal was as hard as the normal aluminium, it never ripped or peeled off, rather it actually mixed with the base metal and amazingly it melted at about 500 deg centigrade! i.e. lower than the aluminium’s melting point! there is another metal in the rods that does this trick, I forget which one. I've also used them to repair and mod inlet manifolds and Landys owners tend to be very familiar with them also.

The rods I used were called Techoweld but are the same thing as these.

Isn't Technoweld the friction braze stuff? It was when I last bought some? This one says you don't need to use the stainless brush or stainless scratching stick? Unless Technoweld's changed....

Trev D

posted on 30/4/08 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Mike if you don't mind popping it over to Northampton I will weld it up for you. For a few beer tokens.
ATB Trev

[Edited on 30/4/08 by Trev D]

Miks15

posted on 30/4/08 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers trev, ill bare that in mind,

I still need to make the plate for the top of it (or modify the bit i chopped off.) I might be in contact soon.

Cheers

Mr Whippy

posted on 1/5/08 at 07:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB

Isn't Technoweld the friction braze stuff? It was when I last bought some? This one says you don't need to use the stainless brush or stainless scratching stick? Unless Technoweld's changed....

Yeah Technweld came with the stainless brush, TBH I rarely used or needed it (most disappeared into my garage ) it was only to get through the oxide layer, as was the reason for scratching the rod against the metal. It wasn't relying on friction to work and once started it just kept going. I used either a grit blaster or a rotary wire brush to clean the metal first, but this other rod seems to have an aggressive flux mixed into the rod so it should need less preparation.

02GF74

posted on 2/5/08 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Landys owners tend to be very familiar with them also.

i've used them with varied success. tried to fix a split in a tail gate but the repair tore apart as the metal cooled and shrunk.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.