Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: aero catch sticking
Steve Lovelock

posted on 20/5/08 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
aero catch sticking

I have a set of aero catches on my bonnet which were fitted about a year ago after which I removed the bonnet to store whilst I worked on other stuff. I have just fitted the bonnet again and discovered that one of the catches is sticking and wont close without help from a screwdriver. Has anybody encountered this before? If so how did you solve it?
chriscook

posted on 20/5/08 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
I had something similar when fibreglass dust was over everything in the garage. A clean up and some light lubrication (WD40) sorted it.
RazMan

posted on 20/5/08 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
There was a fault with some of the early ones. They were assembled incorrectly and were getting stuck at 'over centre'.

I phoned the manufacturer and they sent out some replacements without question. I then figured out how they were assembled, dismantled and reassembled them and ended up with TWO good pairs

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
sgraber

posted on 21/5/08 at 12:48 AM Reply With Quote
Well CRAP. I've got one that does that of late. I thought is was my fault, but maybe I need to contact the company directly.

Raz, you mentioned that you were able to take it apart and simply re-assemble it to repair it? Or did you have to file/ream some piece of it?

Being across the pond would make for an expensive replacement from the UK.

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RazMan

posted on 21/5/08 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Steve, After comparing a known good one to my faulty ones it was obvious that a moulding had been assembled 180 degrees out. I had to drill out some pin retaining goo, press out the pins, dismantle and then reassemble correctly - sounds more complicated than it really is.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

Steve Lovelock

posted on 21/5/08 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Razman, I'll look into that.
Steve Lovelock

posted on 24/5/08 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
WD40 did the job. Feel a little silly for not trying it before I posted on here. In fact, now that my SVA is approaching I seem to be losing my common sense!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.