Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Damaged eBay Item - seller doesn't seem too helpfull.
r1_pete

posted on 10/6/08 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
Damaged eBay Item - seller doesn't seem too helpfull.

Just after a bit of advice really, I bought an MG bootlid on eBay, it arrived today, but the corner is now badly bent, the damage wasn't there on the item photo, so I assume its been done in transit.

Phoned the seller who basically said 'try and claim off Parcelforce WW, but dont hold your breath cos you signed for it, well my wife did. Looking at Parcelforce website, it states the sender must initiate the claim, he effectively refused to help me.

I have now emailed him that information, my plight is: should I initiate a paypal claim for item significantly not as described?

I just don't want to apear the awkward customer here...
Cheers.
Pete.

[Edited on 10/6/08 by r1_pete]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
BenB

posted on 10/6/08 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
Have told him that Parcelforce say he has to initiate the claim?
If so and re refuses to do anything then go via Ebay / Paypal....

madrallysport

posted on 10/6/08 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
Had a very similar thing happen, but it was with an item from the states. I reported the item to ebay, which then directed me to a paypal claim, which did sort the problem out (after a few weeks).

A claim on postal service has to be started by the sender, which in my eyes is unfair. Try a few more emails and see if the sender will try and help, as it takes a few days before you can start the paypal dispute.

Goodluck, i hope you get it sorted out.

UNDERSTEER is when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
OVERSTEER is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
HORSEPOWER is how fast you hit the wall.
TORQUE is how far you take the wall with you.

smart51

posted on 10/6/08 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
The seller paid the courier. The courier's contract is therefore with the seller. It is the seller who has to claim against the courier.

If the seller isn't interested in helping, go through paypal. They have a reputation of siding with the buyer, fairly or otherwise. It might be enough of a prod to get him to talk to the courier.

Paul TigerB6

posted on 10/6/08 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
As above - its the sender who has to claim and he should have the receipt to do that.

If he wont help - well we've seen a few cases recently where Paypal seem to automatically side with the buyer, so start the claim if he's being awkward

zzr1100rick2

posted on 10/6/08 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
Iwould think that when you have signed for it it is now your problem as im sure it says on parcelfarce docket that you have recieved goods in good condition

even if it was the wife who signed

Paul TigerB6

posted on 10/6/08 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
Arent you signing for delivery only and not condition?? You never unpack the item before you sign for it so dont see how it can affect a claim for damage in transit
r1_pete

posted on 10/6/08 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks everyone, called him again and had much the same conversation, so Paypal dispute opened.

It will be interesting to see how Parcelforce and other couriers react in future when I unpack and examine items before signing, but, if thats the rules its the rules, and they work both ways.

Cheers.

Pete

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
001Ben

posted on 10/6/08 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
how do you know it was not damaged before transit? Its definately the seller who needs to resolve.
johnston

posted on 10/6/08 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
Don't a lot of the sign sheets now say damages or shortages need to be reported within xdays??
higgsti

posted on 10/6/08 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
when you sign for an item you are signing for its condition as well .i bought a full cage from caged which weighed 22kgs the delivery drivery from ANC used a sack truck to get it up my mums drive where it was being delivered and dropped it twice .my mum signed for it and when i got there looked at it to find the powder coating covered with deep scuffs from block paved drive .phone caged up to be told it was signed for they tried to claim on my behalf but we didnt get any joy
Paul TigerB6

posted on 10/6/08 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
Have a look at section 9

here

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.