Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: redex injector cleaner - any good?
02GF74

posted on 7/7/08 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
redex injector cleaner - any good?

trying to avoid removing carbs

<----- (mikuni bike carbs) and stripping them down so instead is the redex injector cleaner stuff any use? (as in has anyone had a carb blockage that was cured with redex stuff?).

I have used redex in the past for supposedly shifting carbon out of the engine - it seemed t o do no harm but since I did not examine the engine internals before and after, I have no idea if it did as it claims on the lable - all I saw it do was to produce masses of white smoke.

[Edited on 7/7/08 by 02GF74]

David Jenkins

posted on 7/7/08 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
You can get a can of carb cleaner - potent stuff, so don't use it in enclosed spaces!

It's probably best to use the correct stuff - designed to remove gummy deposits without eating the stuff carbs are made from. The cans usually come with a nozzle for squirting down orifices.

You will have to remove the carbs though... (he said rapidly, after reading the original post properly )

[Edited on 7/7/08 by David Jenkins]

smart51

posted on 7/7/08 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
Redex do a carb cleaning fuel treatment as well as a fuel injector fuel treatment. Secretly, I suspect it is the same stuff in a different coloured bottle but if faced with a choice in the shop, I'd buy the right stuff. I've no idea how good it is but I've heard stories of big clouds of smoke after the treatment. I used it on mine and it didn't seem to do anything.
Mr Whippy

posted on 7/7/08 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
it does work, sorted out stuttering fuel injectors on cars, even fixed a hard to start diesel cement mixer and use it on all the cars bar the Volvo (cos I don't like that car much). Noticed that the heads don't soot up as much as normal on the vw engines too (can't use shell optimax as they hate it). Just don't keep it in the car as no matter how tight you screw the lid on it always leaks out.

[Edited on 7/7/08 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeCapon

posted on 7/7/08 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
Stop messing about looking for miracle cures where they don't exist No "snake oil" will ever remove the layer of crud in the float bowls or unblock the main/idle jets.

Get the carbs off the bike, strip and clean them. It's the only way to do a proper job. I've just done a set on an old GPz 750 and it took me an hour and a half. That's doing the job real slow and double checking everything. The bike had been standing for 3 years and now it runs perfectly.

www.shock-factory.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 7/7/08 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
maybe just cleaning the float chamber and then the redex will be sufficient.

02GF74

posted on 7/7/08 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
I am living in denial - there is only one solution and that is to take carbs apart

even Richard says so.

Mr Whippy

posted on 7/7/08 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
I think you should take it all apart, just for the hell of it

that chassis looks even cruder than my bikes and thats saying something

I took mine apart and thought 'Damn thats one ugly thing!' what a pity it's not a nice alloy frame

[Edited on 7/7/08 by Mr Whippy]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.