Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: mk indy st170 engine to what gearbox
toyney

posted on 16/10/08 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
mk indy st170 engine to what gearbox

hi can anybody help me got an st170 engine need to know what gearbox will fit the engine and what mods need to be done to get it to fit got a sierra d9? and a mt75 box which one will fit and what would be easier to convert

[Edited on 16/10/08 by toyney]

coozer

posted on 16/10/08 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
I've got one and it should bolt straight up to a type 9 as its essentially a zetec. MT75 should be the same bolt on job as the type 9 as well.

The exhaust side bolt holes for my engine mounts are missing tho, but that shouldn't bother you startign from sctratch, its just they are different to the zetec.

A huge piece of the sump needs cutting off. Flywheel needs changing as the ST one has a weird floating centre.

Good news is it should have a spigot bearing already in the crank. Thats probably to support the floating bit of the flywheel.

I'm hunting for a (free) Mondeo box to make a bellhousing with that leaves the starter under the inlet and removes the need to butcher the sump.

And welcome to the forum, where in the world are you?

Cheers,
Steve

[Edited on 16/10/08 by coozer]

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

toyney

posted on 16/10/08 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
st170 engine need to mate it upto a type9 box

i tried mating the box onto the engine it does that ok but need to be able to put the starter under the inlet manifold other wise carnt get the startermotor on because of the engine in the way
dave1888

posted on 16/10/08 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
If you use a t9 think about the power you are putting thru it i would think a H/D t9 would be better or use the mt75. I thought the starter went on the exhaust side (right side if looking from front to back) although if you have a ST150 that is a Duratec engine.

hearbear

posted on 16/10/08 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
Just seen this snippet of info on the totalkitcar website and it may be of use to someone out there

http://www.totalkitcar.com/home.php#1662

"SNIPPETS 2……So, you’ve got or are building a Ford Duratec HE four cylinder-powered kitcar and don’t find the Type 9 or MT75 gearbox particularly thrilling, especially for more potent applications. The answer? The Mazda 6-speed, as fitted to the current MX-5, bolts straight on and is well up to coping with 300bhp. It’s a relatively cheap option, too. Expect to pay around £700 from your local scrapster."

3.9Ltr SSC Stylus should be fun

toyney

posted on 19/10/08 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
st170 out of ford focus

hi guy thanks for the threads but if im looking at the front of the engine the starter motor is on the inlet manifold side so the d9 nor the mt 75 box will fit the starter on because the motor is in the way the gearbox or coversion needs to be on the left near the top of the bell housing ps wheres the mazda 6 speed starter fit on the box
coozer

posted on 20/10/08 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
Focus ST170 is a Zetec not a Duratec even though its badged as such.

Standard type 9 bellhousing fits with mods to the ali section of the sump. Removing the ali around where the starter will fit is straightforward.

I've not done it yet but it has been done with Blacktops which is what the engine esentially is.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

toyney

posted on 31/10/08 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for the info mate much appreciated

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.