Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Shot blaster advice needed
chrsgrain

posted on 28/10/08 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
Shot blaster advice needed

Hi all,

Latest project is a 1967 TR4 restoration - and not surprisingly there is a LOT of shot blasting to do At the moment I've got one of those 'syphon' blasters with a pipe into the bottom of the cabinet, and to be honest its a bit rubbish - really slow.

Anyone got any better ideas, preferably locost, on how to get better blastin'? What about the blast pots - though the ones I've seen are expensive....

Thanks

Chris

Spoing! - the sound of an irony meter breaking...

mr henderson

posted on 28/10/08 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
If it's just one project, and it's bits that will fit into a cabinet (in other words, not the chassis) then I would take the bits to a commercial outfit and let them do it. You need a big compressor and the right stuff, and then you still have to spend the time doing the actual work.

I bought one of those Machine Mart cabinets from someone on this forum, but have only needed to use it once so far. It works OK but I kept running out air which was a nuisance, I reckon you would need a 3hp 150ltr compressor as a minimum.

John

chrsgrain

posted on 28/10/08 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
The chassis is away being done - have got a big compressor (luckily - you're right, definitely need it). Sending things away is less fun, and also lots of the bits need cleaning, then welding, then a quick blast again, then painting... my stuff can do it, its just very (very) slow....

Thanks

Chris

MikeR

posted on 28/10/08 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a plan to do this using 2 cheap compressors (gives me 3.5hp, 100l and still probably sod all FAD).

Just need to fit a one way valve between the two compressors as i've heard if you dont the bit that checks for over pressure breaks.

MK chippy

posted on 28/10/08 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
went to a place in millbrook to get wishbones, engine cradle and front hubs done. Only 40 quid and they done them straight away! Can't remember the name of the place but could find out if you want?

Dave

ballcock

posted on 28/10/08 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
I made my own collapsible blast cabinet, using a wolf 2.5 hp compressor ( same one aldi was selling) with and aldi spot blaster gun. works reasonably well and doesn't take up much space when not in use.
corrado vr6

posted on 28/10/08 at 11:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MK chippy
went to a place in millbrook to get wishbones, engine cradle and front hubs done. Only 40 quid and they done them straight away! Can't remember the name of the place but could find out if you want?

Dave

K & N finishers as Dave said really good and also done the parts whilst we waited saved us a lot of time and definity gave a better finish really recommend them!!

K&N Finishers 02380 869 700
plus they do powder coating to!!

chrsgrain

posted on 29/10/08 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
OK - thanks guys - I'll check out the K&N people.

Chris

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.