Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Can you link two compressors together?
MikeR

posted on 28/10/08 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
Can you link two compressors together?

I've got two compressors, i'd like to run them in parrallel to give me a 3.5hp, 100l, compressor (ok, i accept it will have losses so it will be more like 3hp).

One compressor has just one output and the other has a restricted output and a "what ever pressure its got, you get" output.

A mate in the office says that if i just link the first compressor into the unrestricted connection on the second compressor i'll end up with two bust compressors. His argument is that the safety valve / on/off switch can't take pressure greater than whats in the compressor.

Does anyone know if this is true and therefore i need a check valve or if he's talking rubbish.

mark chandler

posted on 28/10/08 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like rubbish to me, they will both pump to their limits so the one with a cut off will stop when the pressure is reached.

The safety switch will take loads more pressure, before this goes, the emergency vent will be puffing out air long before this can happen.

The only problem I can see is if the unrestricted one cannot pump as high compressor with a cut off and the overload of pressure will cause it to stall burning out the motor.

[Edited on 28/10/08 by mark chandler]

clairetoo

posted on 28/10/08 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

His argument is that the safety valve / on/off switch can't take pressure greater than whats in the compressor.

So where's this `extra` pressure going to come from ? The pressure switch's of both compressor's will switch off at whatever pressure they are set to , so I dont see a problem !

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

MikeR

posted on 28/10/08 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
But they're supposed to switch from the tank going to the switch, not from the outside world pushing from the other direction - this is what he thought would brake them.

(Well at least thats how i remember it).

They're both rated to about the same psi so they should both stop about the same time.

Edit- also if i do need them, where is the cheapest place to get them?

[Edited on 28/10/08 by MikeR]

MkII

posted on 28/10/08 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
should be ok as long as both air receivers are rated at the same pressure .m.
austin man

posted on 28/10/08 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
why not come out of both with a line and connect the two lines with a y piece then ideally run on line throuater seperator and adjustable gauge thats what i do.
MikeR

posted on 28/10/08 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
How long have you been doing this for?

Have you had any problems?

What compressors do you use? (please say ones from Aldi)

austin man

posted on 28/10/08 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
Was I pixxed when i wrote that or all thumbs, note to self check spelling. Shouls have said run the one line through a water seperator and gauge
ballcock

posted on 28/10/08 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
If you connect them after their respective pressure switches it should not be a problem, if you set one switch a few psi above the other you may find that the system need only run the one compressor until it can't cope with the demand then the other should cut in. Two compressor will not increase pressure just supply volume.
Simon

posted on 28/10/08 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
Can't you run them though a common cutoff switch?

ATB

Simon

oliwb

posted on 28/10/08 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
I run 2 of the cheaper screwfix ones in parallel. They both got two outlets exactly as you describe. I've just got a short length of hose coupled between the two unrestricted outlets. I've had it like that for over a year now with no problems.
As mentioned though you do need to check that they're both rated for the same pressure or you could in theory blow one up - but the safety valve would have to be broken to let this happen as well! In my experience it works really well. I can run die-grinders almost continually and paint spray/impact gun/socket driver + drill etc readily with no problems....Oli.

If your not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeR

posted on 28/10/08 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
well as i only have one un-restricted outlet, i'll try running the smaller 1.5hp compressor into that and hope nothing goes pop.
hillbillyracer

posted on 28/10/08 at 11:36 PM Reply With Quote
You can get a compressor that runs two single phase motors & pumps as individal units on the one tank, it's to allow a capacity beyond what is possible with a single pump on a single phase supply. I dont know how they're switched, it'd seem logical to have them starting slighly staggered to avoid the high starting load which is the reason for running two smaller ones rather than one large in the first place.
What you're planning is a DIY version, if they can do it then it's surely possible for you?

JoelP

posted on 29/10/08 at 07:35 AM Reply With Quote
i used an aldi one and a clark one, linked both through a Y on the output, no valves or owt. Worked fine.
robinj66

posted on 29/10/08 at 07:44 AM Reply With Quote
Numpty question - but how do you tell the difference between the restricted and unrestricted outlets?j
maartenromijn

posted on 29/10/08 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
Like mentioned above, you can do this either way: connect the tanks via the outlet, or connect the hoses. As long as the ratings are more or less the same (say around 8 bar).

Be careful not to blow out the fuse of your garage power supply. 3,5HP = 2610W @ 230V = 11,3 A, with peak current during startup.

BLOG: http://thunderroad-super7.blogspot.com/

MikeR

posted on 29/10/08 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
the cunning plan for the fuse is to do what i do when welding full power - take a feed from the cooker socket in the house

Did you know that you can draw more than 13 amps through a 13amp socket and cable?

I won't tell you how much you can draw so you're responsible for your own demise but i occasionally push the envelop or what ever other phrase you want to use

dhutch

posted on 6/7/11 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by austin man
why not come out of both with a line and connect the two lines with a y piece then

Assuming the pipework is suitable gauge, and the regulator on the second compressor able to take the flow rate of both, it should make much diffrence.

As said, the only real risk is if with one compressor, you can put a presure into the other that is higher than it was designed. If they both have tanks rated to the same presure and both cut out at the same presure anyway, you wont have that issue.

Daniel

[Edited on 6/7/2011 by dhutch]

v8kid

posted on 6/7/11 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
the cunning plan for the fuse is to do what i do when welding full power - take a feed from the cooker socket in the house

Did you know that you can draw more than 13 amps through a 13amp socket and cable?

I won't tell you how much you can draw so you're responsible for your own demise but i occasionally push the envelop or what ever other phrase you want to use

30a fuse/mcb on a ring circuit. The wiring is rated for it and it's OK to wire a double socket into a ring and take 13A off each socket.

If you have wired your garage as a spur off a ring (one wire instead of 2 2.5mm wires) you are limited by the capacity of the wire. Air cooled its OK for two 13A sockets but if you insulated it by running it through insulation for example the wire will get hot - in some cases dammed hot.

Just make sure the garage is on a ring and tou can weld/spray/whatever to your hearts content!

Cheers!

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.