Board logo

First big trip. Unexpected incident!
alister667 - 8/7/04 at 09:53 PM

I took the car for her first long run - a 200 mile round trip to Dublin. She behaved impeccably - no problems whatsoever, and my ex-workmates who I showed her to couldn't believe how good she looked - and the lucky 3 I gave a lift too - how fast she went. The day stayed dry and the journey was incident free except for 1 brown trouser moment I thought I'd let you know about.
Travelling up the N2 towards Monaghan I took a wee back road to bring me over the border to Armagh. It's a small road, but straight, and as soon as I got onto it I could see something up ahead.
It was a bull. A big, brown, dirty, ignorant, bad-tempered looking bull. Behind it was a guy in a tractor driving behind it forcing it up the road.
I stopped hoping he would direct it into a field long before it got to me, but he didn’t. I looked down at myself, and my bright red windproof coat I was wearing for the journey. Hmmm, I thought to myself, that bull and red rag thing is an urban myth right?
All of a sudden I felt very, very exposed in my wee MK and looked enviously at the folks going past me in a big enclosed people carrier.
What to do? Well I decided to approach with caution in 1st gear. If the bull did make a run at me I’d floor the throttle and with any luck I’d be past it before it could react. I took a deep breath and moved forward slowly.
As I approached the bull it was thankfully too busy being harassed by the bloke in the tractor to pay me much heed, and I managed to get past without incident. Up close it was clear it could have made a total mess of my fibreglass – or indeed me - very easily had it taken the notion.
I’ve read a lot of issues with these great wee cars, but that’s one I’d never considered.
It turned out to be a great day all round as I also got a job offer when I returned home! Bye-bye dole office! Now I’m going to have an income again, I can plan my next build!

JoelP - 8/7/04 at 10:08 PM

nice one Al, just drop the red coat - it'll bump up the premiums!

alister667 - 8/7/04 at 10:54 PM

I just noticed - it's the same damn coat I'm wearing in my avatar!!

Benzine - 8/7/04 at 11:06 PM

Something similar happened to me, i was on my way back from picking up powder coated parts and a load of cows walked in front of me. they were there for ages so i took a piccy

nicklondon - 9/7/04 at 06:04 AM

works better than a speed camera

Peteff - 9/7/04 at 08:30 AM

That's when you wish you had a reverse gear, eh Ali.