Board logo

GRP Panels: Glue or Screw ?
Toprivetguns - 12/6/12 at 08:55 PM

Evening all,

Im just about to fit my side panels. Any suggestions on which you would prefer ?

At the moment its either sikaflex to bond the panels or riv-nuts with C/S allen key bolts for that neat flush look.

Cheers

[Edited on 12/6/12 by Toprivetguns]

[Edited on 12/6/12 by Toprivetguns]

Davegtst - 12/6/12 at 09:02 PM

Mine are bonded on. I used a few ratchet straps and bungees around the chasis to hold them in place until the glue went off.

Toprivetguns - 12/6/12 at 09:04 PM

Thanks Dave,

Im more keen on that route as well. Just curious about other peoples opinions. Thanks !

aka_shortie - 12/6/12 at 10:46 PM

If it was me i would be doing both, bonded and riveted

[Edited on 13/6/12 by aka_shortie]

renetom - 13/6/12 at 07:27 AM

Hi
definitely screw
We used stainless steel flange head self tappers No6
worked fine and glad we did after an accident when we had to replace a side panel.
Can you imagine the amount of work and mess trying to remove a bonded one.
Good luck
René

renetom - 13/6/12 at 07:39 AM

Hi Again
Further to my last post
As the panels rarely fit perfectly on the underside we cut strips of black plastic skirting (used on partitioning)
to pack out the gaps with longer screws.

Hellfire - 13/6/12 at 11:55 AM

We too bonded ours to the chassis. We clamped the panels using lengths of wood, both vertically and horizontally, to ensure the panel was flat. The only downside to this method is that the panels will be destroyed if they ever need to be removed to change the colour of the vehicle, or if the side panel is accidentally damaged and needed to be replaced.

I guess it depends what you intend to use your vehicle for and whether you want the structural rigidity offered by rivets, or resonance reduction offered by bonding...... or perhaps both.

Phil

Toprivetguns - 13/6/12 at 06:52 PM

Thanks Gents, again your honestly is appreciated.

GOJO - 15/6/12 at 06:13 PM

I used counter sunk stainless screws on the top edge and large flange rivets on floor edge and put tiger seal on the chassis trellis where it will touch 1 to keep the panel in shape and 2 to stop any vibrations.

Pezza - 15/6/12 at 08:56 PM

Like my dad said above, we've secured our side panels with screws. no hint of vibration but easy to remove in the event of a booboo.