Board logo

Whats the crack with the shocks?
craigdiver - 2/8/17 at 07:44 PM

Looking to get some shocks soon, thinking of the gaz ones from rally design. Questions are; can I choose springs 1" longer to give me an extra 1" clearance?

Angel Acevedo - 2/8/17 at 10:37 PM

Extra length may give you extra travel which may translate on extra comfort.

hearbear - 2/8/17 at 10:43 PM

Make sure the springs won't bind under compression which they may do if they are to long for the correct damper on your set up.

Ben_Copeland - 3/8/17 at 06:42 AM

If you can make the stretch. Go for protech shocks.

Longer springs might bind up. You can adjust the shock collars to get a little more height

[Edited on 3/8/17 by Ben_Copeland]

turbodisplay - 3/8/17 at 07:45 AM

Whilst the gaz shocks I bought are 10+years old, mine stared to leak with no road miles. Others have had problems with leaking.
Another one has a small pit of corosion on the stem.
They may be better now.

pewe - 3/8/17 at 08:01 AM

As above ^^ go for Protechs but speak to Matt at Procomp Motorsports.
He's generous with his advice and knows our cars requirements back to front.
If they require fine-tuning he'll even do that for you.
BOL.
Cheers, Pewe10

adithorp - 3/8/17 at 11:39 AM

quote:
Originally posted by craigdiver
...Questions are; can I choose springs 1" longer to give me an extra 1" clearance?

It's not as simple as that. Ride height is adjusted by altering the height of the spring platform/collar ant not by actual spring length. How high it can go is dependant on shock length and suspension design and only if the platform reach the end of their adjustment, spring lenth. Spring length will depend on poundage and shock length. Poundage will depend on design, weight and usage
Also keep in mind by just adjusting for extra ground clearence, that might not be optimal for the design and affect handling. I'd stick to shock length, spring length/poundage and ride heights that have been tried and tested by others (I can'thelp with that as mine is a Fury).

As for shock make, I had Gaz shocks for +20000miles and had no real issues with them. One initially leaked but I was advised (by Gaz) it might be a result of an over fill and would stop (it did) and one started a slight weep from the adjuster just before I changed them anyway. I've been using Protechs for +10000miles and no complaints about those. I know people recommend Procomp but I would add, I got superb service when dealing direct with Protech.

AlexXtreme - 3/8/17 at 12:50 PM

As Pewe said go to Matt at Procomp and he will customise the protech shocks to suit your requirements!

Alex

craigdiver - 3/8/17 at 02:45 PM

Thanks for the advice all

Cheers

Craig

procomp - 4/8/17 at 11:05 AM

Hi. Just been pointed in direction of this post.

What i offer is the dampers custom built to the specification for the car. Most damper manufacturers will supply dampers with a common valving ratio in them ( usually 3 -1 ). However on cars such as the type used mostly on this forum that ratio is rarely correct and doesn't take into account that the front and rear of car requires differing ratios.
Also if running with inboard front suspension as apposed to the more common outboard setup the wheel ratio is hugely different and requires valving completely different to an outboard setup which is something that not one off the manufacturers takes into account.

If you would like discuss any problems or setup issues feel free to Msg on the FB Page as i very rarely get on here these days.
The results we achieve with the PROCOMP Motorsport Dampers speak for them selves and we are proud to supply companies such as AB Motorsport, Mittell cars in the RGB championship and many other privateer racers in many of the other kitcar related motorsport championships in the UK USA and Spain.

A quick view of dampers in action.
https://youtu.be/oTbVYaUZVno

https://www.facebook.com/Procomp-motorsport-376574512390043/

Cheers Matt

[Edited on 4/8/17 by procomp]

craigdiver - 4/8/17 at 11:25 AM

quote:
Originally posted by procomp
Hi. Just been pointed in direction of this post.

What i offer is the dampers custom built to the specification for the car. Most damper manufacturers will supply dampers with a common valving ratio in them ( usually 3 -1 ). However on cars such as the type used mostly on this forum that ratio is rarely correct and doesn't take into account that the front and rear of car requires differing ratios.
Also if running with inboard front suspension as apposed to the more common outboard setup the wheel ratio is hugely different and requires valving completely different to an outboard setup which is something that not one off the manufacturers takes into account.

If you would like discuss any problems or setup issues feel free to Msg on the FB Page as i very rarely get on here these days.
The results we achieve with the PROCOMP Motorsport Dampers speak for them selves and we are proud to supply companies such as AB Motorsport, Mittell cars in the RGB championship and many other privateer racers in many of the other kitcar related motorsport championships in the UK USA and Spain.

A quick view of dampers in action.
https://youtu.be/oTbVYaUZVno

https://www.facebook.com/Procomp-motorsport-376574512390043/

Cheers Matt

Thanks Matt, ill be in touch when I'm in a position to purchase the shocks