Board logo

Caterham F1 problems
theprisioner - 23/10/14 at 05:01 PM

I understand F1 it is part of the Caterham Group of companies see:

http://uk.caterhamcars.com/caterham-group

The admiration involves "Caterham Sports Ltd (CSL)"

"Caterham's new owners argue that CSL was effectively a service company that manufactured the cars and employed staff for Malaysian-registered 1Malaysia racing Team (1MRT), who own the entry rights."

I assume it is not good news for 7 style cars?

Mark Allanson - 23/10/14 at 05:31 PM

From a fiend of mine I used to work with, he work for Caterham F1 as a CF laminator - or did

"To all my friends.
I turned up at work today to closed gates at Caterham.
Thanks for all your well wishes. I'll be starting my job hunt today so if anyone has any ideas or offers......."

Sad day

scootz - 23/10/14 at 06:13 PM

My understanding is that the F1 Team 'Caterham Sports Ltd' has nothing to do with the 'Caterham Group' who make the Seven.

The 'Caterham Groups' motorsport division is 'Caterham racing' and they only service the Caterham branded GP2 team.

theprisioner - 23/10/14 at 06:43 PM

Business as usual apparently:

http://home.bt.com/lifestyle/motoring/motoringnews/business-as-usual-at-car-firm-11363939054984

britishtrident - 23/10/14 at 08:11 PM

Bernie is now "involved" ,.........,....

Dusty - 23/10/14 at 09:22 PM

If Bernie would just donate half an hours salary they would be safe for the next few years.

Doctor Derek Doctors - 23/10/14 at 09:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dusty
If Bernie would just donate half an hours salary they would be safe for the next few years.

Why should he? It's not his job to bank roll failing teams.

Marussia have done a much better job on less money with pay drivers. Fernandez paid for the Leafield facility, Renault engines and a good experienced driver but the car was another balls up. They have been beaten twice now by Marussia who have had Worse engines (Cosworth and Ferrari) a smaller base, less staff and Max Chilton (who actually got them 10th in the standings last year). They are now beating Sauber and close to Lotus and making genuine progress.

My empathy goes out to the staff as the situation has been handled terribly by all parties since Fernandez gave up but I think the closure is a reflection of the poor form more than anything else.

britishtrident - 23/10/14 at 09:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dusty

His daughter's shoe budget could buy the whole grid.

RK - 23/10/14 at 11:46 PM

Doing something for the struggling teams might be nice. If nothing else, it gives the other teams somebody to beat. It is a bit silly thinking there might only be 8 teams. On the other hand, the level of luxury they all roll in, is beyond ridiculous.

Alfa145 - 24/10/14 at 07:16 AM

Millionaires and investment companies only interested in profits playing God with smaller teams and their staff without a care in the world. They wouldn't give a flying monkies if Caterham went under, they'd just move onto their next victims

designer - 24/10/14 at 07:38 AM

quote:

Bernie is now "involved" ,.........,....

It was his mate Tony Fernandes who started all this. Shows how corrupt these types of men are with their wheeling and dealing!

russbost - 24/10/14 at 05:22 PM

Caterham/(Lotus as was) & Marussia were both conned onto the grid in the first place - they were given false promises of budget caps & cuts that would have allowed them to compete on something vaguely like an equal footing as the bigger teams - that never happened & surprise surprise with the playing field tipped at about 45 degrees & them at the bottom end of it they stood no chance - on that basis I think Marussia have done an incredible job. The guy who conned them has already received several mentions in this post, I'm sure you know who I mean!

Still sad to see another team go - never mind they have another lined up for 2016!

morcus - 25/10/14 at 12:11 AM

As mentioned above the bottom teams were misled to create bigger grids, the real question is will anyone buy the team having seen this happen?

carpmart - 25/10/14 at 05:38 AM

quote:
Originally posted by morcus
As mentioned above the bottom teams were misled to create bigger grids, the real question is will anyone buy the team having seen this happen?

Nope

designer - 25/10/14 at 08:21 AM

It is becoming more obvious that 'Bernie' only wants manufacturers on the grid, that's why he's chasing three car teams for 2016.

mds167 - 25/10/14 at 09:20 AM

Bernie has now 'allowed' the team to miss the next two races and 1MRT and CSL are one entity in the hands of the administrator to sell as a team.
The administrator has stated that there are interested parties...who could the be?!
Auto Express reckons that VW/Audi are in from 2016 and have hired Stefano Domenicalli?!

My thoughts are with the Catarham staff who will be wondering about their future, they've really been let down by these clowns.

phelpsa - 25/10/14 at 09:25 AM

Both Caterham Sports Limited (manufacturer of the cars) and 1MRT (Caterham F1 operations) are now under the control of the same administrator who is looking for someone to take on the two businesses together I believe.

EDIT: Got distracted halfway through and was beaten to it!

[Edited on 25-10-14 by phelpsa]

morcus - 27/10/14 at 03:58 PM

Marrussia Have joined Caterham it seems, such a shame when they're currently 2 from the bottom in the constructors championship.