Board logo

Steel for van ramp
Simon - 26/2/23 at 12:57 AM

I want to make a ramp for my van (Vivaro) so I can get my motorcycle and lawnmowers etc in and out. I keep looking on ebay/marketplace and nothing comes up (that ain't very expensive). Long, foldable and quite wide (so i can walk the bike up it).

It will be foldable and I may bolt to floor of van as a semi permanent fixture.

The bike weighs just over 200kgs and I'm another 120 (on a bad day). Ideally I want it to be about 8' - 10' long. It will be supported by bracing to the floor at mid/hinge point.

Just wondering what people think might be best size steel to use - I'm thinking 50mm x 25mm but wonder if 25mm x 25mm will be ok? Ought to clarify, it'll be 2 off box along the length with angle for the "footplates"

Thoughts/alternatives etc welcome please

[Edited on 26/2/23 by Simon]

Mr Whippy - 26/2/23 at 08:57 AM

these don't look very expensive but everything's relative...

link

gremlin1234 - 26/2/23 at 08:58 AM

the pics in this advert for a wheelchair ramp equiped vivaro may give you some ideas
l8AAOSwnLBj6P2C" target="_blank">https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165935490148?hash=item26a286a464:gl8AAOSwnLBj6P2C

motorcycle_mayhem - 26/2/23 at 02:15 PM

That length, I'd be happier with 50mm by 25mm than the smaller option. Stiffness (and other related attributes) goes up greatly with cross-section rather than wall thickness. I wouldn't want to wobble with my bikes, not at my age.
I use a long aluminium ladder to which I've bonded (Silkaflex) heavy duty plywood (that stuff with the brown cross-hatch on it, forget the name) down the rungs. Really does the job. It's long, strong and light.
My Transhit is a (elderly) RWD model, so the rear is quite high. Yours will undoubtedly be far newer, perhaps even FWD, so hopefully not such a terrifying height. I've never mounted a winch up front to pull the bikes up, but it's an option that is starting to look more appealing as age and decrepitude take hold of me.