Board logo

Unknown device on water coolant.
Huttojb - 25/6/17 at 11:09 AM

Hey gents, as you may or may not know, I'm currently re-wiring my Tiger, the previous owner basically did a rubbish job and the wiring was a mess of wires constantly changing colours with 5-8 joins on a wire no bigger then 1000mm

Attached picture is on the water collant and seems to be o/c (open circuit) but my fan switch is attached to it. I believe it was the fan switch at a specif temp, and I would presume that at a specific temp the switch would close allowing the fan to switch, but the previous owner has manually wired the fan to a switch in the cockpit.

So this device seems to joined in parellel but not sure of true purpose.

Jason. http://locostbuilders.co.uk/upload/IMG_4615.JPG

cliftyhanger - 25/6/17 at 11:45 AM

The pic looks like a fan switch, used on VW and a bazillion other cars.
He has wired it so he has a manual over-ride that can fire up the fan early etc. Lots of classic car owners do that too, they really worry about temps.

Ben_Copeland - 25/6/17 at 12:07 PM

I have a manual over ride on my fan, just in case.

CosKev3 - 25/6/17 at 12:11 PM

Yeah I've got a over ride button too.

Handy if your sensor/controller fails,as mine did.

Also handy if you are using the car on a track etc,on your cool down lap just switch the fan on to help

britishtrident - 25/6/17 at 12:47 PM

These switches are a standard M22 fitting used by Peugeot, Fiat, BMW VW Reanult and Volvo before they changed to giving ECU control of the fan they are very reliable . You can get wide selection of cut in/cut out temperatures and also dual switches that allow 2 speed control of the fan using a resistor.

Ideally you should in wire the switch as using a manual switch as the only method of switching the fan is risky --- use the dash switch as a manual overide if you want not really required because these switches are reliable but some sort of after park-up cool down fan is a good idea -- really essential on turbos.

Huttojb - 27/6/17 at 10:59 AM

Thank you for all your answers, it's what I expected it to be. Just don't know what degrees it switches in and out at?

Jason

cliftyhanger - 27/6/17 at 11:12 AM

Usually stamped on one of the nut flats, or actually on the sensor on the bit inside the rad.