Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How fast??
tombrod

posted on 28/2/04 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
How fast??

So how fast is my car actually gonna go, i am lookin at maybe a 1.4/1.6? is insurance gonna change a lot between these? (i am only 17)
madforfishing

posted on 28/2/04 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't worry about speed, Tombrod.
As fast as the donor car anyway.
I WOULD worry about insurance though.
Search the threads on here for the horror stories.
Large 3 figure sums were mentioned.
You may not even get a quote.

ps. mine is £125 fully comp, but I am an old fart with a clean licence for 12 years

good luck.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tom_loughlin

posted on 28/2/04 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
Insurance

i phoned adrian flux last year for a quote on a seven type car - i was 18 at the time with a clean license, but no no-claims, and the quote was £560 fully comp, and it didnt matter what engine i used, anything up to a 2L. i find with these cars, its not the top end spee that is the key, its how quickly you get there whch amazes me!
good luck
Tom

greggors84

posted on 29/2/04 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
The insurance doesnt differ too much between a 1.4 and 1.6, it goes up a couple of hundred quid for a 2.0l. You will be paying near the top end of the 3 figure sums for insurance, but i pay that for my normal car anyway (1.25 fiesta). Also by the time you have finished building your car it will have gone down a bit.

Talking of speed, i went in a tiger, and we did 90 down a country road (private of course!) and you wouldnt want to spend too much above 100 really because of the buffeting you get. Like tom said, its how you get to the high speeds, the cars i have been given rides in all had brilliant acceleration. I know i never get above 100 except on the motorway, and i dont plan to do too many motorway miles in my 7!

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

zetec

posted on 7/3/04 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
If this is your only car then insurance higher, if you have a everydaycar or access to one then all the better, also limited mileage policy brings the price down. Just have a good ring round.

Speed thing is all about the complete package. Even if straight line speed is less cornering and braking will beat nearly everything on the road, most people talk about the Elise as light weight but it rather lardy compared to even a Pinto based "7" with steel wheels/screen/iron uprights. Keep it light and it's real world speed will be very good.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.