Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: I've popped my cherry !!
zilspeed

posted on 4/6/04 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
I've popped my cherry !!

Tonight at long long last I got the locost out onto a race track and gave it some real serious beans. You have no idea how long I have been waiting to do this.
I know this is well known fact, but what a great environment a race track is for a locost.
I was at knockhill which has lovely smooth tarmac and well defined smooth kerbs.
I certainly wasn't the fastest thing out there by a long way, but was certainly able to really stand on it and was even able to get some decent heat into the tyres. Ran them at 18psi all round and they wore nicely across the surface - front and back. That was including a little bit of ever so slight sideways action at the hairpin. Deep joy.

If your car is on the road and you haven't got it onto a track, you have no idea at all - really seriously no idea what you're missing.

P.S. Wearing a full face lid helps the confidence immensely - don't know why, but it does.

Hellfire

posted on 4/6/04 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah we gathered as much - can't wait for the chance!

Once we've got the g'box sorted!

timcrasher

posted on 5/6/04 at 06:19 AM Reply With Quote
Trackdays

You can't beat letting your car and yourself loose on a race track.
I did my first trackday in my MK at Donnington 2 weeks ago. I thought my car would be seriously undergeared, but it was awesome.
My mates face, when we got back in the pits after his passenger ride, was a picture. We had just chased and passed a 416bhp Porsche 996 turbo through Cranner Curves like it was going backwards. And he was really trying.
Power to weight is the key, and they don't come much better than our beasts.
Can't wait for round 2 on the 5th July.
Everyone should have a go on the track, and the Donnington show is not very far away

ernie

posted on 5/6/04 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
cherry popping

glad to hear your up and running. with relation to track day, did they have any non road reg cars because i wish to run my race car to set up before entering into the 750 fray hopefully before the end of june, Ernie
timcrasher

posted on 6/6/04 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
trackdays

Ernie, Most trackdays allow racecars, the only ones that are not allowed at all circuits are open wheeled single seaters like formula fords etc.
So get out there and have some fun

Jasper

posted on 8/6/04 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
Yup - track days are the nuts - had such a great time at Donny last year for the kit car show, even with all the 20 min session muppets out there spinning off all the time!! I'd long dreamt of the Craner Curvers after playing TOCA and watching the bike racing, and going through them at full pelt was a great moment. Shame can't be there this year

I'd really recommend a few airfield days - loads of run-off and even more space for pracitising the sideways action!

ernie

posted on 15/6/04 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
track days

Jasper, do you know airfields dan sarf I could use? ernie

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.