Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tyre pressures?
Dave Ashurst

posted on 18/3/03 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
Tyre pressures?

Title almost says it all...

1 What tyre pressures are people running?

2 How can I tell whether a tyre is over or under inflated without getting tyre wear first?

Any thoughts?

yours curiously
Dave

PS mine's a book locost on 185/60/13s

auzziejim

posted on 18/3/03 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
doesnt it usually say on the tyre?

James

Findlay234

posted on 18/3/03 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
well on my fiat tipo it mentions it in the car. as long as you get the recomended tyres. but sorry i dont know what to use on a locost. suck it and see, youll see uneven wear if your wrong so you can change it.
David Jenkins

posted on 18/3/03 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
I'm using a West-field manual for a guide - they use 20psi as a starting point.

DJ

Dave Ashurst

posted on 18/3/03 at 11:45 PM Reply With Quote
thanks guys

James,
If it says anything on the tyre it's probably max safe pressure / load isn't it?

Findlay,
true, uneven wear would show it ultimately - I hoped there was a better way like shape of contact patch or some such

David,
That sounds encouraging. Is that manual available online somewhere I wonder? Does it suggest a process to optimise tyre pressures for handling for a given car set up? Have you put it to the test on the road?

I'm running 22psi all round just now. Had 16psi at the front and stiffer damper settings all round until last month. Then I experimented with the shock settings to help keep the tail under control in the damp. Got that sorted and then worried the tyres might suffer at such low pressure so pumped them up to 22. Perhaps 16psi was ok after all. 30 was definitely too harsh and skiddy.

I found no guidance on setting optimum tyre pressures for handling, and safe limits, until now though. So any more advice would be welcome.

kind regards
Dave

Jon Ison

posted on 19/3/03 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
the best way to sort it is, (IMO) with a temp gauge, you need a constant temp across the tyre, if its cold on outside the press is too high, i run 16psi, front n rear, but thats in a BEC, a esier way maybe "dust" the tyres and drive the car in a straight line, see how much of the trye is actually touching the road, if the press is too high the outer edges will still have the dust on them, i know wot i mean anyhow.......

Dave Ashurst

posted on 19/3/03 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Jon, I know what you mean too. I'll give those a go. DA
steve m

posted on 6/5/03 at 11:51 PM Reply With Quote
I have done some expirements with tyrre pressure and have found for best comfort/handling I use 16 psi all round
my tyres are 13/205 (a bit to wide)
tyre wear so far has been zero on the front
and minimal on the back

carnut

posted on 7/5/03 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
It all depends where your driving it to what tyre pressures to put in for example on the track will be a little different.

Ill expand. Lets take Donnington for example. Its a clockwise circuit meaning more right-handers therefore the passengerside wheels will be more under load than drivers-side so will need less pressure. I would run 1psi less. The distribution between the front and rear will be different depending on the car. I find an easy way to set it all up is to take the car out on the track, bring it in and measure the temp of each tyre and adjust pressures acordingly

Spyderman

posted on 7/5/03 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by carnut
It all depends where your driving it to what tyre pressures to put in for example on the track will be a little different.

Ill expand. Lets take Donnington for example. Its a clockwise circuit meaning more right-handers therefore the passengerside wheels will be more under load than drivers-side so will need less pressure. I would run 1psi less. The distribution between the front and rear will be different depending on the car. I find an easy way to set it all up is to take the car out on the track, bring it in and measure the temp of each tyre and adjust pressures acordingly

I thought it was the other way round.
In every car owners manual I have seen it says to increase the pressure slightly for higher speed use.

As the tyre warms up it expands and so the pressure decreases.

I could be wrong tho'.

Terry

Spyderman

andyd

posted on 7/5/03 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
No. As air heats up it expands. The amount of air inside the tyre is constant (apart from leaks) so as the air heats up and expands the pressure increases because the tyre doesn't increase it's volume at the same rate as the air inside. Ultimately the tyre does increase in volume slightly but the rubber of the tyre is fairly think so there's not much of an increase.

Andy

Viper

posted on 7/5/03 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
On our 18" slicks the tyre pressure will go up by roughly 10 psi when hot, (i wouldn't expect road tyres to change anything like that much)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.