Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: locost live rear axle - do they handle??
ed_crouch

posted on 4/11/03 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
locost live rear axle - do they handle??

Do locost live rear axle setups handle well?? Only the old capris used to hop around bends badly, and were generally regarded as a pile of shite in the handling dept. Just wondered whether the locost is any better, or whether IRS / DeDion is a must.

Cheers

Ed.

chrisg

posted on 4/11/03 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
A live axle Locost will handle in a different league to any donor car, It's a different suspension setup and a quarter of the weight. Try and drive a car with both set-ups, or even a de-dion, I find that in general use most people would be hard pushed to tell you which was which, on the limit the IRS has(ultimately) the better grip.

It depends what you're going to use the car for.

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

steve m

posted on 4/11/03 at 11:24 PM Reply With Quote
It also has a C of G about 9" from ground level, and apart from a car thats been squashed by big foot, that must be pretty unique
mackie

posted on 8/11/03 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
There is simply no comparison between a capri and a locost. The capri was heavy, had naf springs and dampers and poor axle location.
Now wrong with live axles. We are going with de dion because we wanted an LSD and the Sierra one is easily the easiest to come by.

One of the editors of Evo magazine has tricked out an old capri with a 5.3 Rover V8 and competely uprated the suspension and it looks pretty tight. I doubt it'll win against the other Ed's bike powered caterham though

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.