Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: what is the story here?
02GF74

posted on 11/12/08 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
what is the story here?

On my route home I join a ring road from a slip road.

There is a set of traffic lights for the slip road as well as one on the slip road, as shown.

Obviously at rush hour the traffic is choco so it is possible for 2 cars to be sitting in front of the white line on the slip road trying to get onto the ring road.

The lights on the slip road then go red and traffic flows on the ring road.

Now my understanding is that the traffic lights only apply to cars behind the white line. In this case, the cars in front. like the red boxter, are allowed to proceed onto the ring road when the traffic light is red.

True or false? Rescued attachment wline.JPG
Rescued attachment wline.JPG

hughpinder

posted on 11/12/08 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
I thought you weren't supposed to cross the line unless your exit was clear, therefore you'll never be stopped there.

Regards
Hugh

Benzine

posted on 11/12/08 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
If both sets of lights are showing all colours at once you're screwed anyway

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
02GF74

posted on 11/12/08 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hughpinder
I thought you weren't supposed to cross the line unless your exit was clear, therefore you'll never be stopped there.

I think that applies to box junction, which this is not.

... but highway code states:
[Laws RTA 1988, sect 22 & CUR reg 103]
DO NOT stop or park
* near a school entrance
* anywhere you would prevent access for Emergency Services
* at or near a bus or tram stop or taxi rank
* on the approach to a level crossing/tramway crossing
* opposite or within 10 metres (32 feet) of a junction, except in an authorised parking space

Ok, so you are not supposed to stop there but I have yet to see anyone stop at the white line and wait until they can join the ring road.

But that does not answer the question whether you are subject to the slip road red traffic light or not if you do happen to stop in front of the white line.

[Edited on 11/12/08 by 02GF74]

Humbug

posted on 11/12/08 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
Slight tangent re Box junctions... the rule is that "You MUST NOT enter the box until your exit road or lane is clear". This means in theory when the lights go green, each car must go individually across the box, and the next one can only leave the lights when the car in front has crossed and left enough space to completely go across the junction.

...yeah, right! If everyone (anyone?) followed that, the roads would be even more clogged than they already are.

oldtimer

posted on 11/12/08 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
I guess every conceivable permutation of road can not be covered. I thought you were only supposed to go forward over the white line if you could clear the junction safely. In reality we've all been there, over the line and not able to make the turn, hopefully not blocking any other lane in the process. If you've left a gap to allow others to go at the change of lights, safety wise I'm sure you should stay put as others now have a green light to cross...you may have crossed the white line but your traffic queue is under red light even if you can't see it?.. defo a grey area.
02GF74

posted on 11/12/08 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by oldtimer
you may have crossed the white line but your traffic queue is under red light even if you can't see it?.. defo a grey area.

hmmm, not sure I agree. I thought any vehicle is only subject to traffic control that is in front not what is behind it, apart from speed limit signs surely?

Rek

posted on 11/12/08 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
Does the answer not vary according to the prescence of a policeman....
02GF74

posted on 11/12/08 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rek
Does the answer not vary according to the prescence of a policeman....

why should the rules of the highway code change if an officer of the law is presnet or not?

As you may have worked out, my opinion is that since you have gone past the red light, you are not subjet to it regulation, and providing it is safe to join the ring road, you should do so.

Howlor

posted on 11/12/08 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
Looks quite snowy!
Dangle_kt

posted on 11/12/08 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
IMO, over the white line = in the junction. In the junction = right of way.

BUT, like all things on the road - you know if you are taking the michael. You might not want to admit it, but you do know if you shouldn;t have done something. Not nessisarily because it breaks the LETTER of the law, but becuase it breaks the SPIRIT of the law.

Not sure if that makes sence, but to me I wouldn't fancy being pulled out of a mangled mess, just so I can yell at another driver "Section 27b of the highway code states I had the right of way!!"

02GF74

posted on 11/12/08 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
I didn't say you had right of way, traffic from the right on the ring road has. You would obvioulsy drive forwards when it is safe to do so.

Hellfire

posted on 11/12/08 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
There should be another set of traffic lights in front of you across the road. Even though you have crossed the line at the first set of lights, the ones opposite will be showing red. Common sense tells you that the traffic on the ring road will now have right of way and therefore you must give way to them. I reckon it would be illegal to proceed in that instance.

Phil

Rek

posted on 11/12/08 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
Here Lies the body of Roger Clay
Who died, defending his right of way
he was in the right as he went along
but he's just as dead as if he'd been wrong!!

02GF74

posted on 11/12/08 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
There should be another set of traffic lights in front of you across the road. Even though you have crossed the line at the first set of lights, the ones opposite will be showing red. Common sense tells you that the traffic on the ring road will now have right of way and therefore you must give way to them. I reckon it would be illegal to proceed in that instance.

hmmm, cannot recall is there is one on the oppsoite side.

My understanding is the white line is where you are meant to stop when the light is red. Once you are past it, you do not need to stop.

And it is not about common sense, I tought here in UK it was the law that we give way to traffic from right at junctions?

Howlor

posted on 11/12/08 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
The highway code states the following that is applicable.

You MUST NOT move forward over the white line when the red light is showing. Only go forward when the traffic lights are green if there is room for you to clear the junction safely or you are taking up a position to turn right. If the traffic lights are not working, treat the situation as you would an unmarked junction and proceed with great care.

Therefore you should not move over the white line unless the junction was clear.

Steve

02GF74

posted on 11/12/08 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
ok, that is useful but for the fact that I have yet to see anyone stop at the line if the junction is not clear. If you did that, then either you'd get rear-ended or subjected to hooting or a good kicking.

but still does not answer what happens if you are past the white line?

Howlor

posted on 11/12/08 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
The law also states this:-

You MUST stop behind the white ‘Stop’ line across your side of the road unless the light is green. If the amber light appears you may go on only if you have already crossed the stop line or are so close to it that to stop might cause a collision.

Therefore I would interperet this as: You should not have crossed the white line if the junction was not clear even though it is on green, but if you have crossed it for a good reason then you can proceed with caution.

oldtimer

posted on 11/12/08 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
So, I think we can agree that you should stop at the white line if your exit is not clear, therefore you should never be in a situation where you are stopped having gone over the line. I also agree somewhere above that there should be a set of lights on the far side of the junction??This, is of course theory only, and your fellow travelers behind will be wearing their horns out if you don't turn on green untill all is clear.
Howlor

posted on 11/12/08 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
Agreed end of the matter!
02GF74

posted on 12/12/08 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
Not yet.

I took a minor detour this morning and although there is a traffic light opposite the slip road, it is facing towards traffic on the ring road hence would be in sync with the lights on the right.

It is all fine and danday saying you should not find yourself in that situation but let me describe what happens.

Lights for the slip road turn red and traffic queues up at the white line.

The lights turn green. Now what you are saying is the first car should move forwards and proceed onto the ring road, the one behind it come to a stop at the line and then proceed when the road in front of it is clear. This is repeated with the car in front.

Well you know that just does not happen, if it did, probably about 1/3 of the number of cars would get past the lights.

Anyway getting into that situation is neither here nor there as the question was: Ddoes one drive forward if one finds him/herself in front of the white line and the lights turn green?

My opinion is that you should drive forwards, if it is safe to do so, and as yet I have not seen anything saying otherwise.

I dug out my highway code booklet, now I am not saying I am old but this is the version that has horses and carts and was illuminated by medieval monks, to show:

Red means "STOP". Wait behind the stop line on the carriageway.

I interpret this as saying do not wait in front of the stop line when the lights are red. Rescued attachment tlight.JPG
Rescued attachment tlight.JPG

02GF74

posted on 12/12/08 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
... I suspect we now have reached the point where ....

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.