Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: HiSpec Rear Handbrake Calipers
Dave Bailey

posted on 29/12/11 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
HiSpec Rear Handbrake Calipers

Hi All,
Just checking over the brakes before I go to IVA and I am pretty sure that I will have low effort on my handbrake.. I have the wilwood handbrake calipers and I know they are suspect in this area.... I was thinking of getting a set of HISpec replacements.. Anyone experience of these calipers? I plan to use solid 253mm rear disks and the two pot calipers with built in mechanical hand brake.... fitted behind 15" whels....

thanks
Dave B...

Coopz

posted on 29/12/11 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
The wilwoods are capable of getting through, I failed on these first time round and adjusted them so they were near enough binding and easily passed on the re-test no modification or pivot lever used and now the brakes are bedded in as well they work fine. No experience with the HI-Specs i'm afraid.
blakep82

posted on 29/12/11 at 11:16 PM Reply With Quote
as coopz says, bedding in. are these new unused brake pads? try and get a drive of the car, up and down the (private, of course) road, or wheels off the ground running and braking to bed them in a bit. should improve them a lot

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

PAUL FISHER

posted on 29/12/11 at 11:16 PM Reply With Quote
I had hi spec rear calipers on my old Indy, great caliper, hand brake was efficient enough, its a few years since I last delt with Hi spec so they may have got better, but service was poor back then.

[Edited on 19/05/04 by PAUL FISHER]

ali f27

posted on 30/12/11 at 08:19 AM Reply With Quote
Hi have a look at adithorps solution not hard to do and works perfect did it to my willwoods
Cheers Ali

Stuart_B

posted on 30/12/11 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
Hi there, I got the hi spec rear brakes on my Mk, because of the handbrake issues with the willwood cailpers, they are lovely cailpers and the handbrake works well, have got my first mot due soon. So will find out if the handbrake is good enough.

Cheers

Stuart

black mk indy, 1.6pinto on cbr600 bike carb's.

fazerruss

posted on 30/12/11 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z282/adrianthorp/handbrakelinkage001.jpg

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z282/adrianthorp/handbrakelinkage003.jpg

Taken from adithorpes post

"if assholes could fly this place would be an airport"

Dave Bailey

posted on 30/12/11 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys... I will see what I can dop to bed them in a bit.... I have made pretty much everything work against me.. I have a shortened handbrake lever in addition to reduced leverage at the heel of the lever...

Dave B

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.