Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Dead Pinto
nearly done

posted on 10/5/12 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
Dead Pinto

Evening all,
after taking advantage of a brief spell of dry and warm weather (showing of my P+J to some visiting American friends) we were just about turn back into our drive when the car just stopped dead. Easily pushed back in to the garage where upon further inspection nothing blatently obvious was amiss- no loose wires etc etc.Suspecting a faulty immobiliser connection I removed this and changed the ignition switch and still nothing. All the lights,horn and switches work but the starter does not turn at all, its as though no current getting to the starter motor (bearing in mind I dont posses a multi meter and my knowledge of automotive wiring could be written on the back of a very small postage stamp). Am I right as thinking if I run a wire straight from the positive terminal to the small connector on the starter this should turn the starter as long as the other circuits are ok?
Any other pointers greatly received before I call the auto electrician, the car is a 2.0 Pinto running a Bestek ignition system, factory wiring loom built by my good self, no thing to fancy due to my aversion of modern technology.

Thanks,Sean.

SteveMX5

posted on 10/5/12 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
Had something like this on my westfield just cut out on the way back from Stoneleigh one year, 80 miles from home

Have you by any chance shortened the sump and therefore the oil pickup pipe? It turned out mine had picked up some swarf which in turn siezed the oil pump this drive also runs the distributor so both were siezed which caused it to stop dead. Wouldn't cause the starter not to turn but just an idea.

austin man

posted on 10/5/12 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
does the engine turn over ? if not remove the starter then try I am thinking mor along the lines of your ignition switch failing seem odd to just stopm then not turn over. Make yourself a simple tester using a bul and holder with 2 wires. to test whether there is voltage where it should be coil, ignition starter etc. I trust you have looked at all the fuses

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

computid

posted on 10/5/12 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
Whip the plugs out and try and turn it over by hand. If it turns over then pop the plugs back in and manually put power on the stator solenoid. If that turns then engine over then its an electrical problem.

Good luck!

omega 24 v6

posted on 11/5/12 at 05:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Am I right as thinking if I run a wire straight from the positive terminal to the small connector on the starter this should turn the starter as long as the other circuits are ok?

Yes but don't leave it on when or if the car starts. Its only usually live when the key is at its sprung position.

ETA Also check the engine earth strap is not disconnected/worn through/ corroded inside its insulation ( if its not a braided wire). Do you hear the starter click?? If so then suspect the starter solenoid or wiring from it to the actual motor. ( although you'll struggle to sort this by yourself. Also do you have a relay in the starter circuit?? if so check it.

[Edited on 11/5/12 by omega 24 v6]

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

rallyingden

posted on 11/5/12 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
Another vote for earth strap

RD

nearly done

posted on 11/5/12 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
Ok just tried 12v direct to the spade connector on the starter and nothing but sparks from the battery,I take it that this means the starter is fubar. If so why would this cause the car to stop dead? I thought that once running the starter motor was largely redundant (or is that just a lack of my understanding of car electrics?). If I was to try and bump start the car would this work with the dead starter?
Thanks, in advance ,Sean

omega 24 v6

posted on 11/5/12 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
Ok your understanding is fine.
No it really should not have killed the car engine. ( if it was an internal dead short of the starter soleoid circuit you'd get a big bang or a fire
Yes the car should start with a bump start (as long as the starter is the only faulty thing.)
No there should not be sparks at the spade ( well not very big ones !! how bad did it spark was it like arc welding, or just a spark??). Did the wire get mega hot??

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

nearly done

posted on 11/5/12 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
The sparks happned as I toutched the croc clip on the battery not at the starter end, they were not massive but bigger than the ones you get when you connect up the battery when a circuit is open. Doubly depressed as its just cost me £133 to fill up the Discovery!!!!

Cheers,Sean.

AntonUK

posted on 12/5/12 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
If its sparking like that I would next check if the engine is seized

Build Photos Here

Not Anumber

posted on 16/5/12 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
A large spark like that would be expected, the starter would always draw a lot more current and therefore make a much bigger spark than the ancillaries would draw when you just connect a battery lead.

Have you tried push starting or tow starting the car in case it is just the starter ?

nearly done

posted on 16/5/12 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
Nope not yet, hopefully this weekend.Will keep you posted.

Cheers,Sean.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.