Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Your advice please - imported SVA'd car
smitht82

posted on 7/6/12 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
Your advice please - imported SVA'd car

Hi All,

I'm new to the Kitcar world (and locostbuilder) and have justed purchased a BEC MK Indy. The Car was imported from Guernsey last year were it was already registered on the road. I'm unsure what i need to do now in the UK? is it a simple case of just getting a UK registration and MOT or do i still have to get an IVA carried out?

I've got the HM Customers Import charges confirmation and also a UK MOT.

The car is currently has no reverse gear or centre mirror :-(

Thanks in advance!

Tim

Hellfire

posted on 7/6/12 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome to the forum and the bestest resource on the www for all things kit car related and congratulations on your new purchase. Good choice of engine With regards to registration, have a read of this. I suspect that it will need an IVA before it can be registered in the UK. How did it manage to get a UK MOT without a centre rear view mirror? Did you buy it from a dealer in the UK?

Phil

[Edited on 7-6-12 by Hellfire]

smitht82

posted on 7/6/12 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Phil,

Thanks for the welcome. I've added below the UK MOT cert which is for the Guernsey plate:

The car has no V5 however, so i'm completely unsure as what to do.

[Edited on 7/6/12 by smitht82]

[Edited on 7/6/12 by smitht82]

Davg

posted on 7/6/12 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Tim

lools like you will have to put the car through an IVA test (possibly the reason why the previous owner sold it- hope you got a good deal).

Cheers
D

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hellfire

posted on 7/6/12 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
Have you checked with your local DVLA? If not, it may be worth a quick phone call for their advice and/or assistance.

Phil

Gti6boy

posted on 7/6/12 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
I've just imported a car too and spent the last 6 months getting it ready for iva. Spoke to vosa Wednesday to be told I cannot iva the car as an amature builder as I did not build the car. Looks like your gonna have fun also with iva
Davg

posted on 7/6/12 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
Have you checked with your local DVLA? If not, it may be worth a quick phone call for their advice and/or assistance.

Phil

Always good for a laugh though

------------------------------------------------------------------------

chris-g

posted on 8/6/12 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gti6boy
I've just imported a car too and spent the last 6 months getting it ready for iva. Spoke to vosa Wednesday to be told I cannot iva the car as an amature builder as I did not build the car. Looks like your gonna have fun also with iva

I am in a similar position, the builder of my car passed away. I spoke with VOSA and they are able to look at it on a case by case basis so go back to them and ask about this, you may need to speak the main technical people. This is the relevant legislation, I am still going through it but am yet to find where it says that only the builder can apply for approval. http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi?title=vehicle%20approval
So far I have only found a reference that the owner is the person who applies for approval.

Good luck.

wilkingj

posted on 8/6/12 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
Is it worth applying to the DVLA for a V5 as an import, it was legally on the road in Guensey?
ie say nothing about a IVA etc.. Just say you have imported this car and its guernsey reg was XXXXX and you want to register it in the UK as an import.You might neex some sort of export docs from GU or the previous owner.

You could be looking too deeply at this.
I would certainly try this angle first, as its not a lie or scam etc.
You have imported a "legally on the road" (in Guensey) car, and it might just be a case of getting it registered as an import.

I would try that first.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Not Anumber

posted on 8/6/12 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
Search the forum for similar IVA issues. Start finding a few receipts and references to the donor car just in case. Ask the seller straight out whether the car has already been through the IVA/ SVA - if not why did he pass it off as a road legal kit car.
INDY BIRD

posted on 8/6/12 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
Must be thIs car for sale or now sold, said selling as a Track car so fair enough in the advert I would say,

Link
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3961463.htm

[Edited on 8/6/12 by INDY BIRD]

contaminated

posted on 8/6/12 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
I was in his situation when I imported my Tiger from Northern Ireland. It had an NI log book, MOT and Tax. I overlooked all this until I went to re-tax it a few weeks later and realised I couldn't!

When I registered it back here I was worried about IVA. Because mine had originally been registered here and I was exporting it back I just applied for re-registration and the log book came in the post

I think you will need an IVA, but I would absolutely try your luck first. Fill in the form and see what happens I would say.

Tiger Super Six Independent
www.southernkitcars.com

smitht82

posted on 8/6/12 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
I've just spoken with the DVLA and they require the following docs and will process:

V55/5 Form
a Cheque for £55
My ID
Insurance with chassis number
MOT
HM Customs Import Duty paid form
Guernsey Registration Form (V5)
Or Guernsey Export Certificate

The lady at the DVLA is sending me all the forms out in the post tonight.

Fingers crossed

:-)

RIE

posted on 8/6/12 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds promising, good luck.
Gti6boy

posted on 8/6/12 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
I had the same buddy, the problem is you can't fill out the v55/5 as 90% of the stuff on there does not get filled out so you are to include the iva form.

In guernsey when someone has built a car they just phone up and receive a log book in the post just like that

Not Anumber

posted on 8/6/12 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
could this indeed be an IVA loophole ?
Hellfire

posted on 8/6/12 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Not Anumber

I somehow doubt it. The V55/5 form (No 10 if I'm not mistaken) asks for the Type Approval Number/Category. This is the number from the certificate issued after passing IVA. If you don't have this number, the vehicle will require an IVA, otherwise the form cannot be completed.

Guess it's worth a try though, you never know your luck with DVLA. Worst case, you'll need to get it IVA'd.........

Phil

[Edited on 8-6-12 by Hellfire]

clairetoo

posted on 8/6/12 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
quote:
Originally posted by Not Anumber

I somehow doubt it. The V55/5 form (No 10 if I'm not mistaken) asks for the Type Approval Number/Category. This is the number from the certificate issued after passing IVA. If you don't have this number, the vehicle will require an IVA, otherwise the form cannot be completed.

Guess it's worth a try though, you never know your luck with DVLA. Worst case, you'll need to get it IVA'd.........

Phil

[Edited on 8-6-12 by Hellfire]

Wouldnt that be on the MAC , which you dont get to keep ?

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

steve m

posted on 9/6/12 at 06:42 AM Reply With Quote
"Type Approval Number/Category."

I would find out what the format of this no is, and make one up, doubt the fuckwits at DVLA can read let alone realise it was wrong

I would also have tucked away in all the receipts a slip of paper with this magical no printed on, all offiical like, and if questioned, produce said paper, as evidence, that was always in the paperwork

but i am a devious little runt !

steve

rusty nuts

posted on 9/6/12 at 07:48 AM Reply With Quote
If it all goes wrong as a last resort you may be able to use the car on Guernsey plates but you may have to have a address on the island ? One of our customers has 2 Mercs on Jersey plates but he does work in the Channel Islands , I believe he taxes them in Jersey due to the low road tax?
smitht82

posted on 11/6/12 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
Well on the weekend i got some bad news and therefore the BEC dream for now is not happening. Maybe once things are sorted i can look into it again :-(

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.