Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: zetec timing - no marks
Fishface

posted on 23/4/13 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
zetec timing - no marks

Help!!!!
Im trying to set up my nodiz electronic ignition and it has a cool feature where you can do a basic set up with the timing by pressing the buttons on it. However ive just realised i dont have any markings on my zetec
How can i set it up??????

Thanks

big-vee-twin

posted on 23/4/13 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
I was looking at this for my Duratec.

I was going to stick onto the crank pulley a timing disc showing the angles, by downloading one and printing onto sticky paper.

Set engine to TDC on No 1 and then make a pointer to point at the disc at TDC mark with coat hanger wire etc.

You can then run the engine and use a timing gun to view the angle read off the wheel.

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

Fishface

posted on 23/4/13 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds good. How do you know when it's at TDC?
dave_424

posted on 23/4/13 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
You can make a dead stop for your number 1 piston from an old spark plug.

Tap out a spark plug and thread in a bolt enough so that it contacts the piston near TDC, have a crank degree wheel on your crank and rotate the crank clockwise until the piston hits your bolt stop, note down the number on the crank degree wheel. Rotate the crank the crank anticlockwise until it hits the stop again, note down the number on the crank degree wheel.

Half way between these numbers is where TDC is, set a pointer at that number. Rotate the degree wheel (Not crank) until the TDC mark lines up with the pointer and tighten the degree wheel to the crank.

Or if your pointer is within a bendable distance of the TDC marker, bend it to suit, or put the pointer in a different location for it to point to TDC

The same can be done with the head off and a dial indicator on piston 1 in a similar fashion.

redturner
Senior Builder

Posts 449
Registered 9/11/12

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Run 2 ltr Black Top in single seater race car.

posted on 25/4/13 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
You might find it more useful and accurate if instead of having a solid stop you have a rod which will touch the piston , say halfway up, then a controlled rotation until piston is almost at TDC, then put a dial gauge on the rod and you can find absolute tdc without any lag...
Fishface

posted on 7/5/13 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
thanks. I tried at the weekend with a dial guage and a steel rod and it worked a treat. Still couldnt get engine to run well. I was just wondering if i hadnt actually got the TDC. I marked it at the top of the stroke but then i thought on a four stroke it raises twice???? Have i marked it on the intake or exit? How can I check. It does tickover ok so maybe its just the bike carb balance that makes it sound so rough?
redturner
Senior Builder

Posts 449
Registered 9/11/12

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Run 2 ltr Black Top in single seater race car.

posted on 7/5/13 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
If you have used the rod and DTI to get rid of the dwell ,that's fine. Check cam's can be locked in this position with the slots at the rear and the timing will be right. However as you say, it does run so I would suggest that the carb's could be out. If you are using the Ford Eddis unit, and as I am, Megajolt then make sure that it isn't in limp mode. We got one wire wrong on the Eddis and it wouldn't rev. The R1 carbs were fitted fitted with Weber 180 jets at the outset and air corrections are plugged and re drilled. It now revs to just shy of 7k and it flies....

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.