Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Coal
Jon Ison

posted on 4/11/13 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
Coal

Was chatting with a local farmer (retired but still lives in farm house) he used to allow a local coal merchant to store coal, no charge in return he had use of the coal, anyhow local merchant no longer trades.

To cut a long conversation short he had just purchased and had delivered 1 ton of coal, he asked me to guess how much, I was miles off, it cost £245!!!

He then asked and "where do you think it originates from?" I guessed eastern Europe maybe Australia, no China I didn't realise we are importing house coal from China, feel free to discuss, personally I was surprised by both the cost and where it was from.

steve m

posted on 4/11/13 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
But If we produced it here in the UK it would of cost £2000 per ton

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Jon Ison

posted on 4/11/13 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
But If we produced it here in the UK it would of cost £2000 per ton

I think that's a tad optimistic don't you ?

whitestu

posted on 4/11/13 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
Totally bonkers. It was so short sighted to stop mining in this country.
nick205

posted on 4/11/13 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
Don't have a feel for price against how long a tonne of coal would last you TBH.

I wonder how many households still use coal domestically?

IIRC from Open University studies a few years back, we also import a lot of power station coal from South America. We visited Didcot power station outside Oxford where they used both coal and gas. Again IIRC 1,000 tonnes a day of coal was trained up from South Wales (Port Talbot?) off the boat from Brazil. The train never stops to load or unload, just keeps rolling under the loading spout and over the drop chute.

MikeRJ

posted on 4/11/13 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
Only a small amount of Anthracite (i.e. coal used for residential heating) is imported from China, most of it still comes from within the EU. Russia, Colombia and the US supply most of our steam coal for power generation.

Whichever way you look at it, it's a terrible position to be so dependent on other countries for our energy requirements. The sooner we offset this with modern nuclear power stations the better IMO.

[Edited on 4/11/13 by MikeRJ]

slingshot2000

posted on 4/11/13 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ

The sooner we offset this with modern nuclear power stations the better IMO.

Would that be "modern nuclear power stations", built by a company owned by the CHINEESE GOVERMENT and operated by a company owned by the FRENCH GOVERMENT ??

Regards
Jon

richardm6994

posted on 4/11/13 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
I bought half a ton at the end of august for £130 inclusive of delivery which will see us through winter. Although we have normal gas central heating / combi boiler, we also have the coal fire in the living room which is nice to have lit during the winter months (normally every weekend from october to end of march).

When the fire is lit, it takes the load of the central heating and helps keep our gas bill down. I've never worked out if the nett effect of this is cheaper or not but we just do it because we like the fire in the winter.

ceebmoj

posted on 4/11/13 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slingshot2000
Would that be "modern nuclear power stations", built by a company owned by the CHINEESE GOVERMENT and operated by a company owned by the FRENCH GOVERMENT ??

Unfortunately not building any new reactors for so long means that we squandered a lot of our technical know how in this area, hopefully some more sights will get the green light and we can build some of them ours selves.

PS where do you think the Uranium comes from for the power generation.

JohnH

posted on 4/11/13 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
We all have Mrs Thatcher to thank for that........ That's also why we pay so much for our electric, she didn't like the miners having a say....... The north east of England is still suffering from what she did up here. Most of the people up here still have open fire,or wood burners. Our village hasn't got gas so we don't have the choice,we have an open fire and oil heating......... Costs a packet.
scrappy_7

posted on 4/11/13 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
well said JonhH but it was not only the coal mining she did us for it was also steel & ship building She would rather help the Bankers & look what a mess they got us into
JohnH

posted on 4/11/13 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
+1, Scrappy. How can company's put there prices up by 10% when there costs have only gone up by 1% ? I'am selfemployed and if I put up my costs by 10% I won't be doing much work.......... This country's on its knees. We need to start and look after our own country. Charity starts at home, and if we have any left, then share it out.
six mad

posted on 4/11/13 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
UK Coal supply mainly power stations but i believe a small quantity goes to domestic customers.
nearly done

posted on 4/11/13 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
Funnily enough BBC 4 tonight documentary about the coal industry and its decline.
T66

posted on 4/11/13 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
Tyne Dock imports millions of tons of coal from Murmansk, Russia. At any one time there will be one ship docked & unloading with another 2 sitting outside the piers waiting to dock.

Coals to Newcastle, Yes ! as long as its Russian,

How about the Baltic gas import pipeline. We not only need thousands of wind turbines, tidal energy stations, but a few more UK owned nuclear power stations to get away from relying on the Ivans for energy.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d7/Major_russian_gas_pipelines_to_europe.png

mark chandler

posted on 4/11/13 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
Hmmm

Raging inflation, heavily subsided industry holding the country to ransom and your surprised that Thatcher closed down industry? She was voted in by the majority more than once so had the countries support.

The key to being successful is to remain competitive, I,m sure if money could be made out of our old industries in the modern world they would still exist today.

I agree its madness that it's cheaper to ship in from abroad but these mines are generally open faced not men digging expensive dangerous holes, however would you pay twice the Chinese or Russian price to keep our industry working?

it's our own reality, we all like shopping around for the cheapest insurance, mortgage rates, fuel prices so are all equally culpable for the closures if you think about it.

onenastyviper

posted on 5/11/13 at 07:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
Hmmm

Raging inflation, heavily subsided industry holding the country to ransom and your surprised that Thatcher closed down industry? She was voted in by the majority more than once so had the countries support.

The key to being successful is to remain competitive, I,m sure if money could be made out of our old industries in the modern world they would still exist today.

I agree its madness that it's cheaper to ship in from abroad but these mines are generally open faced not men digging expensive dangerous holes, however would you pay twice the Chinese or Russian price to keep our industry working?

it's our own reality, we all like shopping around for the cheapest insurance, mortgage rates, fuel prices so are all equally culpable for the closures if you think about it.

Thatcherism = "believe in the free-market and all will be well".
First flaw in that logic was that there is no such thing as a free market.
Second flaw was that people assumed that it would be done for the good of the nation - it wasn't.
Third flaw is the mistaken belief that "everyone is equal" whereas the reality is more like "everyone is equal, it's just that some a more equal than others".

The "free" market commanded "services" so that was where focus was paid - at the expense of other industries.
We had plenty at the time so "didn't have to worry about it" - the market would look after us...b0ll0ck$

"If I knew what I was doing then it wouldn't be called research would it?...duh!"

clanger

posted on 5/11/13 at 08:10 AM Reply With Quote
we're all guilty..................

we all want cheapest this and cheapest that, then moan because local industry and companies cannot compete. whens the last time you said "i'll take that one, as its made in Britain"................not likely if Johnny foreigner's offering is 100quid cheaper !!

many of the coal consuming industries are owned by foreign interests. they don't care if local / Uk suppliers cannot compete, as long as they keep their profit margins. (I live and grew up in the middle of the South Wales coalfields and have seen the decline since I was knee high to a grassshopper!!!)

six mad

posted on 6/11/13 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by clanger
we're all guilty..................

we all want cheapest this and cheapest that, then moan because local industry and companies cannot compete. whens the last time you said "i'll take that one, as its made in Britain"................not likely if Johnny foreigner's offering is 100quid cheaper !!

many of the coal consuming industries are owned by foreign interests. they don't care if local / Uk suppliers cannot compete, as long as they keep their profit margins. (I live and grew up in the middle of the South Wales coalfields and have seen the decline since I was knee high to a grassshopper!!!)

Yes Ive got agree, I often check to see where the things i buy are made, i wouldn't mind paying a little extra
if its made in England, chances are the quality will be better anyway.

We should all use this more

http://makeitbritish.co.uk/

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.