Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Is this an alternative to a Vinyl Wrap?
snakebelly

posted on 27/11/13 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
Is this an alternative to a Vinyl Wrap?

Saw this on the frost site whilst ordering something else the other day. I know the Vinyl Wrapping question comes up regularly and just wondered if this could be a cheap alternative?

http://www.frost.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=liquid+wrap&order=relevance&dir=desc&x=0&y=0

[Edited on 27/11/13 by snakebelly]

corrado vr6

posted on 27/11/13 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
Someone on a mini forum I use used this but straight over primer, due to this it didn't peal off like it should and was a nightmare to deal with, had he of applied it over a top coat it would have been a great product from the replies of others.

Great tip only use over a top coat

http://r1indy7.wordpress.com/

posted on 27/11/13 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
Search for Plasti-dip, It's pretty much a paint-on semi-temporary coating. thin it's pretty tough, but you can peel it off from an edge. I guess it has pros and cons compared to paint and vinyl.
snakebelly

posted on 27/11/13 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
I've known about Plasti Dip for a while but wasn't aware that Frost now did their own pre thinned and some very funky colours, just adding it up even with buying the application kit and a gallon of base and a gallon of topcoat I reckon you should be all in at less than £300! Even if it only lasts a year I didn't think it was that bad and you still have the compressor and gun for a colour change in year 2 so the second re-colour only costs about £130.

I suppose it depends on if your a fan of matt finishes as I don't think Frost yet do the full range that places like Dipyourcar.com do with gloss topcoats and metallic finishes.

iank

posted on 27/11/13 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
Loads if video's on youtube doing this. Certainly looks good out of the gun.

e.g.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

bimbleuk

posted on 28/11/13 at 07:22 AM Reply With Quote
I've sprayed a couple of bonnets and pop-up light covers with mat black Plastidip. I treated it as a temporary finish on my track car but it's been on there for over a year and just needs an occasional blast with the power washer. I've found using a cloth can leave some fibres stuck behind.

There are various finishes and a glossifier for Plastidip for a less mat finish.

carpmart

posted on 28/11/13 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
I'm dissapointed with myself, as I really quite like what they did to that M3.

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.