Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Buying Advice
Jodieshann

posted on 6/1/14 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
Buying Advice

Hi guys,

I'm after some buying advice. I'm looking to get into the scene and have about £6k to spend. I've been looking at MK and MNR cars initially but wondered if there were any other options around this sort of budget? There's nothing really around my price point at the moment either...most seem to be around £8-9k unfortunately. Additionally are the two I've mentioned good contenders?

I intend to use it for fast road driving on sunny days, and maybe the odd track day. The BEC's appeal more than a car engine at the moment but these are harder to find. I also wondering what performance will be like with things like MX5 engines and other common ones, that are commonly used in builds. As it's not going to get used that much I'd quite like it to be a 'special' drive if you know what i mean!

Any advice is appreciated, especially on the make of kit.

Ashley Jenkins

posted on 6/1/14 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
When I decided to buy a kit car, I made sure I drove both a CEC and a BEC as id read a lot on the internet about both and conflicting ideas on both. Both cars I test drove were MKindys. I drove an indy with a vauxhall redtop motor and an indy with a fire blade motor. This was the car I went on to buy. I like yourself, wanted something special for the weekends and a BEC feels just that. Unfortunately, it's now up for sale
Jodieshann

posted on 6/1/14 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
Help

Thanks for that. I'm currently looking at a mnr vortex with a turbo 1.6 mx5 engine. Not sure if it's got enough oomph though!! Anyone got any experience?
sdh2903

posted on 6/1/14 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
A bit left field but mine is still for sale, just needs a couple of bits sorting for the summer:

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/34/viewthread.php?tid=186609

Slimy38

posted on 6/1/14 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jodieshann
Thanks for that. I'm currently looking at a mnr vortex with a turbo 1.6 mx5 engine. Not sure if it's got enough oomph though!! Anyone got any experience?

A turbo 1.6 engine will have plenty of power to shift a lightweight car, but it will be 'peaky' which is considered by some to be at odds with the whole 'scene'.

May I ask what you're used to? You mention you want a 'special' drive, but if you've only ever driven heavy tintops you might find something like a 2.0 NA to be more than useful. These cars don't need the hundreds of horses to make them fun, indeed if the power delivery is wrong you'll find it almost uncontrollable.

pewe

posted on 6/1/14 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
The BEC v CEC has long been debated on here without being resolved.
FWIW my CEC feels a lot more solid/planted than my mates BEC - that's because mine weighs in at a lardy 650kg whereas his is 450kg.
Having said that he's onto his 3rd (or is it 4th?) engine whereas mine is still going strong on the original one despite similar use.
When making your choice bear in mind bike engines and clutches weren't designed to lug around a car's weight .
Also IMHO "heavier" cars can utilise their suspension components better but again there's debate on that score

As for MX5 turbo power, the 1.6 engine is arguably a better revving engine than the 1.8.
The engines are virtually bomb-proof (particularly the bottom end) as they were designed to power the 323 turbo.
However the long nose crank engines are better as the front pulley (IIRC 8 holes) is more durable.
In terms of power a decently set up 1.6 turbo should be producing c.200bhp at the fly-wheel which is more than adequate in an MX5, so in a Se7en type car should really fly. You might also consider a supercharged 1.6 as power delivery comes in from low down the rev range (again an never-ending debate - turbo v s/c).
HTH.
Cheers, Pewe10

beaver34

posted on 6/1/14 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jodieshann

what are you used to driving for that to worry you if its fast enough?

i run a 340bhp turbo 1.6 engine in my kit, and i kid you not its like time travel for the road its utterly pointless

daveb666

posted on 6/1/14 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdh2903
A bit left field but mine is still for sale, just needs a couple of bits sorting for the summer:

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/34/viewthread.php?tid=186609

Bargain IMO.

2007bc Photography - Commercial and Wedding Photographer based in West Yorkshire

http://www.2007bc.co.uk / http://www.huddersfieldcommercialphotographer.co.uk

Jodieshann

posted on 6/1/14 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks

Thanks for all of the replies guys.
A couple of nice cars there and i'm interested in any BEC that falls within my budget.

I'm used to a VW T5 Campervan!! I like an adrenaline rush though and don't trust myself on a motorbike so something with quick acceleration but sticks well to the road (appreciate it's all about how good the driver is!)

beaver34

posted on 6/1/14 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
alot come down to personal preference,

for what you have said i would be looking for a car engine, even one with 150bhp will do 60 under 5 seconds and 135mph

snapper

posted on 6/1/14 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
Most BECs run 130 to 150bhp with little more than 100FtLbs torque it's the light weight and no clutch sequential gear change that vets them going
CECs tend to run 150 to 180bhp and more torque
I would conciders a ride in both first before committing
On the road low down torque gives effortless acceleration

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

dhutch

posted on 6/1/14 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by beaver34
alot come down to personal preference

Never a truer word said.

When I was in a similar situation, five or so years ago I also looked at MK's and found for something I likes (aka, not a huge mess, and not a pinto/xflow due to the increased age) i found they went out of budget.

In the end I found a wesffield, which as much older at 1991 first reg, and although still not zetec (duratech was almost unheard of by then) had the cvh engine which is nothing else could be an easy swap for a zetec. It has a few minor issues, only some of which I knew about before the purchase, but that can be said about most things.

Not for everyone, but I have been very happy with it.

Daniel

daveb666

posted on 6/1/14 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
Where are you based? best way is to have a few passenger ride/test drives.

I had a terrifying passenger ride in "yellowcabs" busa powered car and I really could not get to grips with the savage down-shifting required on a BEC.

2007bc Photography - Commercial and Wedding Photographer based in West Yorkshire

Jodieshann

posted on 6/1/14 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
test rides

I'm based in Surrey - close to Woking. If there's anyone around with a BEC I'd love a ride...appreciate most are wrapped up for the winter season now!!

I hear what your saying about the choice of engines...like you said it's personal preference.

again, i really appreciate the help....great bunch of guys on this forum!

Jodieshann

posted on 9/1/14 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
Just wanted to say thanks to those who offered their advice and cars for sale. I've just agreed to buy the GDK Legend that's for sale on here from Steve (SDH2903). Looking forward to some fun now!!
daveb666

posted on 9/1/14 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
Congratulations, you'll have a whole lot of fun!

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.