Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Dans MK Seven
RK

posted on 2/2/14 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
Regarding gauges: regular gauges like you have are easier to see, but harder to wire up, than the digital/bike gauges. If you hadn't started with them, I would leave as is. Nice looking work you have done on the car though!
Matt21

posted on 5/2/14 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
They're nice wheels in the first pics.....

Here they are now

Your mk is looking smart too!

gavink

posted on 5/2/14 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
Looking very good
DannyScarbro

posted on 5/2/14 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
Nice job on the wheels! If I didn't want to go down to 13" it was the plan to spray them black.

Dan

Not Anumber

posted on 5/2/14 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
Have you found out what lead to the front wishbone failure ? Were they aftermarket ones or were they made by MK's own fair hands ?

Davey D

posted on 6/2/14 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
Thats an awesome transformation youve done there. Gone from a drab, average looking car to a real head turner
DannyScarbro

posted on 6/2/14 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
In reference to the broken arms, I spoke with MK and they claimed never to have made them like this.

I assume they are either some ebay jobbies or some that someone has made in there back garden. Either way dangerously flimsy and thought out.

I would recommend everyone go and just check the quality of there arms too.

Thanks for the kind words Dave, I see your fairly local. Blyton park on March 15th?

Dan

Davey D

posted on 6/2/14 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah I'm quite interested in 15th march. Need to get back on the track as soon as the weather brightens up a bit as my last outing was October last year at Blyton. I've had a look on javelins site, and there aren't many signed up for that day yet. Have you signed up for it yet? Where abouts in Lincolnshire are you?
DannyScarbro

posted on 6/2/14 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
Have not signed up yet but will be booking in next few weeks.

We're booked in on the. 23rd of feb but that's in the mx5.

Then will be trying to hit cadwell once a month from April through to October.

I've put a thread up for blyton mate.

Dan

Jimmy-boy

posted on 9/2/14 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
Nice build thread, i will try and get some vids of my 106 up some how!
DannyScarbro

posted on 30/5/14 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
It's been a while since I'd updated this thread but don't think the work has stopped;

Next on the agenda was to sort out some chassis modifications...

So what to do, Matts had so much success with having the mx5 professionally set up and it really does make that car a joy to drive..

With this in mind I had a word with a few guys on the 'locost' forum and concluded 'procomp' in Birmingham were the guys to go and see.

So after a few calls to Matt I booked it in and went down to see them.

The current shocks are mismatched and adjusters don't work so they were the first port of call. They suggested a set of pro-tech adj coil overs and Faulkner springs, then having the shocks re-valved to the weight of the car.

I got them to fit these along with a full ego set up and corner weighting.

The transformation was superb! Makes so much difference and credit to Matt he knows so much about these cars and how they should work.

So after having some work on the chassis it was time to take it out properly;

Blyton was booked, the weather looked optimistic for March and we were off, I now know how Matt feels getting out into the mx5 with a poor heater and loud exhaust at 7 in the morning as I normally jump into the BMW luxury wagon with a smug look! I tried the 'did you want to drive the kitcar to familiarise yourself before getting there' but to no avail!

After a tiring cold journey we arrived and got all set up, we were joined next to us by a lovely old Porsche that was jugs beautifully and looked serious too.

Sighting laps done we strapped in and went for a blast, the car is quick, no doubt about that and has some great levels of grip available. At first the brakes felt a little weak until we realised that we were not driving a new car with a servo, que standing on the brakes!

First drive had some good action with a track oriented m3 until I jumped onto the accelerator instead of the brake going into the chicane! Needles to say swung round and left me with this new feeling of terror (it's the first time I've ever spun!)

Confidence knocked and it Matts turn, considering bar a 2mile jolt one afternoon this was the first time he'd been out in it he drove the pants of the thing....and continued too all afternoon.

We had a great day exploiting the car and finding little niggles that need addressing!

The day was a little bit disheartened by a miss judge turn in on the wiggle, clipping the apex cone with the front left and seeing it propel up at the rear arch smashing it to pieces! Nothing a few cable ties didn't sort for the afternoon mind :lol:

All in all a great day and nice to get some time in the seat.... Just plenty of learning to go!

Some pictures from the day and a quick clip;

Whoops...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=I--FIGa6KBE

All tips and feedback greatly taken..

Dan

DannyScarbro

posted on 30/5/14 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
So after the minor misunderstanding with the cone at Blyton I needed some larger stronger rear arches, after abit if hunting around I found a nice set with heavy duty stone guards, ideal!

One of the old and one of the new;

And both fitted;

Really pleased with the looks of them giving a more purposeful look but more importantly allowing the wheels to tuck under for a better track ride height.

I then met a chap in a caterham r300 superlight and after abit of a spirited drive we pulled over and had a looks around the cars and a chat, both Him and I were really impressed with how quick mine was especially around the corners. However I couldn't help but think he had a few neater touches.

So cue the next few modifications;

One of the nicer bits was how clean and tidy the rear end was with the caterham rear lights, so I bit the bullet and ordered a set of genuine caterham rear lights.

The other main difference was he had some nice small black headlights, after abit of research I found that everyone recommended the dominator lights from svc. They are very nice quality I must say.

Before;

After;

Dan

DannyScarbro

posted on 30/5/14 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
Getting really pleased with the way the car looks now but can't help but think it's missing something;

A SR Motorsport fabricators rear diffuser,

My diagram;

The finished article;

And a demo run;

Win.

Since owning the vehicle the leather dashboard and white dials have never really been to my taste or the track oriented look of the car.

So I set about making my own dashboard with some more race car styled gauges. A £10 plank of mdf and £600's worth of dials later I started planning; ( I can't believe how expensive they are but wanted good quality gauges especially the fuel gauge!)

Before;

The plan...

The cutting;

Test fit;

And the finished article;

Fitted;

Am so pleased with how it's turned out. Love it.

Also had a chance to fit a new fuel pump and clean up the rear drums and re-hammer the rear arms.

Old and new;

And a nice picture I like;

Dan

djaques

posted on 30/5/14 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
What did you paint your dash with? I really like the look of it.
stevea

posted on 6/6/14 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
Looking great Dan!
DannyScarbro

posted on 9/6/14 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
In preparation for the sale I had some photos of the Seven taken by a friend who's abit special with a camera....

The results;

Hope you like,

Dan

Proby

posted on 10/6/14 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
Great photos Dan, car is looking real nice. Car has been transformed looks wise.

Visit GraphicMonster

DannyScarbro

posted on 13/6/14 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
Had a chance to give under the bonnet a spruce up and clean, and some more snaps...

Many thanks

Dan

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.