Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 3D Printing
chris mason

posted on 2/11/14 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
3D Printing

I'm currently considering investing in a 3D printer.

That's as far as i've got at the minute, but after reading several peoples threads on here it seems we could have some expirenced people on here.

So any advise on machines would be appreciated.

Budget up to 3k is acheivable as the savings offered short term (1-3 years) would no doubt cover the cost of initial purchase and materials.

I would only have requirement for parts up to 100mm but the larger capacity the better, as i'm sure long term my requirement will grow plus theres the option to print other items.

Are single or multiple colours the ones to have, is there any less capability of the multi colour machines?

I 'll look forward to any replies

coozer

posted on 2/11/14 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
I'm after a new suspension top mount for my 6x6 RC trials truck, I've put a wider chassis on it and the front top mount is too narrow.

How easy is it to print a custom one?

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

tegwin

posted on 2/11/14 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
3D printing covers an enormous area...

I assume you are wanting to make plastic parts?

What are you wanting to do with the plastic parts? Are they for prototyping or for "production use"?

How complex are the geomotries in the parts? What level of surface finish do you want? Do the parts need to be strong?

There's a mulitude of options but without knowing what you want, its hard to advise :p

A basic "maker-bot" will print parts from ABS to a reasonable accuracy... raw materals are relativley cheap..

Or you start looking at SLS machines which use lasers/uv light to cure liquids into solid parts...some of those are rather clever and allow you to print materials with different properties, colours and translucencies...

[Edited on 2/11/14 by tegwin]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

Slimy38

posted on 2/11/14 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
After seeing some pretty spectacular failures on 3d printing, I'd be tempted to go for a CNC milling machine.

I still see the main problem with 3d printing is the material. I found it quite ironic that one of the first things I saw 3d printed as a coffee cup, and then someone pointed out the material goes soft below the boiling point of water. 'Chocolate teapot' couldn't be more appropriate.

twybrow

posted on 2/11/14 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
We have just bought a 3D printer (additive manufacturing machine) that uses composite materials, including kevlar and carbon fibre... Cant wait to make some trial parts!
balidey

posted on 2/11/14 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
What do you want it for? That will make a huge difference to what others will suggest.

I bought a Reprap Ormerod from RS for a few hundred quid. We used it for trialling and demo-ing parts that work together before machining or fabrication work.
So for that work you don't need to spend anywhere near a grand. And you also don't need more than one colour.
The machine is basic, but it does a very similar job to finished out of the box printers.
My company would have no need for anything more advanced.

But if you are considering making production parts, then you really need to know what those parts are for. I have seen very few consumer type items where printing is a better choice than other manufacturing techniques.
But too many people can't see beyond the 'ooh, its new shiny tech, we must use it' despite its limitations.

Dutch bears have terrible skin due to their clogged paws

Volvorsport

posted on 2/11/14 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
There's an exhibition at MOSI , in Manchester , only two parts were made in metal, one was a camera mount for a fighter plane....

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

Badger_McLetcher

posted on 3/11/14 at 12:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin
3D printing covers an enormous area...

I assume you are wanting to make plastic parts?

What are you wanting to do with the plastic parts? Are they for prototyping or for "production use"?

How complex are the geomotries in the parts? What level of surface finish do you want? Do the parts need to be strong?

There's a mulitude of options but without knowing what you want, its hard to advise :p

A basic "maker-bot" will print parts from ABS to a reasonable accuracy... raw materals are relativley cheap..

Or you start looking at SLS machines which use lasers/uv light to cure liquids into solid parts...some of those are rather clever and allow you to print materials with different properties, colours and translucencies...

[Edited on 2/11/14 by tegwin]

I thought SLS was Selective Laser Sintering, where a laser is used to melt material in specific areas? Polymerisation of a liquid is, from my experience, a stereolithography process.

I looked into this a fair bit at my old job, as Tegwin says different processes have different strengths and weaknesses. What you want to achieve will determine the process you want to use.

I think this is probably one of the coolest processes I've seen:
http://www.micromanufacturing.com/content/nanoscribe-offers-3-d-laser-lithography-system

If disfunction is a function, then I must be some kind of genius.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.