Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cheap Fuel Anyone?
James

posted on 9/10/02 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
Cheap Fuel Anyone?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/2312521.stm

Guess I'll stop off at Tescos to fill up on way home...

rallyslag

posted on 9/10/02 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
iv been saying this for ages
however i wouldnt recomend just putting the oil in your tank

you need to heat the oil before it reaches the engine to lower its viscosity
other wise it can create problems with coking up the injectors

you can also recycle old or new cooking oil into a biodiesel that can be run directly on an unmodified car (altho with really old cars its recommended to upgrade the fuel lines due to the methanol/ethanol used to make it)

Old chinese proverb: "If a man speaks in a forest, and no woman hears him, is he still wrong?"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
paulbeyer

posted on 9/10/02 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
Cooking oil 32p / litre? what a rip off I pay 30 ppl for lpg Converting my Saab was one of the best things I ever did.
Peteff

posted on 9/10/02 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
They put some methanol in with it to raise the cetane (diesel equivalent of octane) so it ignites apparently. I think it's a good idea to preserve the earth's already depleted natural resources and they should be rewarded not punished. Also how do the authorities justify taxing us on fuel when people in electric vehicles can fill up at home and not pay tax on it.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

stephen_gusterson

posted on 9/10/02 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
a previous chancellor said if lpg really caught on he'd tax the nutsack off that too.

Having said that its a lot more available now - a couple bp garages do it in this area.

I cant beleive that article - it reads like a hoax.........but its silly enougth to be true.

atb

Steve

PS - perhaps the Chris twins chippy was bombed by the iraqui's trying to protect oil revenues and not the jeeeeerrrrrmeeeeeennnsss
at all?

johnston

posted on 9/10/02 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
dont no bout over on the mainland but when customs and excise do check over here the count of red deisal can be as much as 3 outta 4 stopped

John

posted on 10/10/02 at 12:39 AM Reply With Quote
I understand in America it is quite common to use old cooking oil from fast food places as the oil is usually free, saves owner paying for disposal.

Apparently smells like chips cooking, so the police would guess you were burning the oil from the smell.

If you are interested in this subject check out this site also where there are plenty of links;

http://www.globalstewards.org/biodiesel.htm

John.

Working on a CVH 1.8 engined Locost. Hoping to use as much as possible of Sierra donor. £210 left.

rallyslag

posted on 10/10/02 at 08:18 AM Reply With Quote
www.veggievan.org

very good site
the book they sell is well worth gettting

the tax on home made biodiesel is now at about 25p/liter

but that doesnt cover using straight veggie oil

Old chinese proverb: "If a man speaks in a forest, and no woman hears him, is he still wrong?"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Peteff

posted on 10/10/02 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
I've had this site in my favourites for ages. It has good info on the use of biodiesel and shows how to make a preheater so you can even run on solid vegetabe oil.

http://www.veggiepower.org.uk/book.htm

Very entertaining read I think.

yours, Pete

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Macca

posted on 10/10/02 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
There's always the hydraulic oil/kero home made mix at 21ppl, so I've been told.
CairB

posted on 10/10/02 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
I was once in a car running on processed chip oil... you should have seen the pedestrians running to the chippy after we'd passed them!.. oh the smell..nearly ranks with the Castrol R I used to use in my bike.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.