Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Smelly silvertop zetec
Fishface

posted on 31/5/15 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
Smelly silvertop zetec

My 1.8 silvertop stinks of fumes to the point where my clothes stink after a run in the car. I'm guessing it must be old and worn and perhaps on its way out. Is this normal, is there a simple repair that can be made withe engine in place or is it time to upgrade?
BenB

posted on 31/5/15 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
Think of simple things first- split fuel line going into the engine from the pump? Lots of fuel hose sold is pretty rubbish when shown ethanol in modern petrol and will happily split and spray a fine mist of petrol over the engine bay....
cliftyhanger

posted on 31/5/15 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
How are the breathers sorted??
Fishface

posted on 31/5/15 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
Breather is an air filter at the top and the bottom goes to a red bull can

Fuel lines look ok but will have a check. The smell though is more fumes than fuel though.

spiderman

posted on 31/5/15 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
Go on give us a clue, what do the fumes smell of? Oil, petrol,exhaust,fish, sh..,fa...? Might be able to give you a more definitive answer then.

Spider

Fishface

posted on 31/5/15 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
Probably exhaust type fumes. I was told at a garage that the silvertops do have a tendency to smell a bit when worn but it's getting worse. I can turn the car off and push into the garage and the house will still smell of a fumes type smell from the car after a run. I have air bricks under the floor that go into the garage by the way.
coozer

posted on 31/5/15 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
Smelly oiil out of the breathers??

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

MikeRJ

posted on 31/5/15 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fishface
Breather is an air filter at the top and the bottom goes to a red bull can

That probably answers the question as to where the stink is coming from. If the engine is getting a bit tired then the increased leakges past the rings will be blowing out stinky oil vapours from your "breather" system. Why not vent them back into the air intake?

Fishface

posted on 31/5/15 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
I see, interesting. How could I vent it back. I'm running twin webbers.
austin man

posted on 31/5/15 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
you have breathers omn the engine originall the breather would have gone directly into either the exhaust or into the inlet and been burnt off, when fitted to the kitcars we tend to have the breathers venting under the bonnet

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

Fishface

posted on 31/5/15 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
right i see. Is there any suggestion on how to do this as I don't think my inlet or outlet have any connections available on them.
coozer

posted on 31/5/15 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
I joined the block breather and the one off the can cover with a T and ran the hose down to the floor.... And, breath....

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Fishface

posted on 31/5/15 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
That's a simple idea. Anyway just been into the garage and checked the block breather and the pipe had come off. Excellent.
I noticed a bit of oil on the block which seems to be coming from around the metal unit next to where the breather block exit is. Don't know whether this needs the Allan key bolts tightening. What does his unit do?

austin man

posted on 31/5/15 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
I believe it is some type of trap which allows fumes up but not oil it may also some filtration

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

cliftyhanger

posted on 1/6/15 at 06:51 AM Reply With Quote
Ideally you want both breathers going into a catch tank(they can share or be separate) and then the outlet of the catch tank going via a tube to exit somewhere suitable, under the car? stuffed into an air intake on the engine? You really do not want to be dropping any oil on the road, that is rather unfriendly and will be very unpopular if you take the car on track. For good reason.
Fishface

posted on 1/6/15 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
thanks guys. I will do something like that.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.