Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Boarding over uneven slate flooring
computid

posted on 7/5/21 at 11:53 PM Reply With Quote
Boarding over uneven slate flooring

Hi all,

I'm a bit new to all of this house decorating and re-building stuff so I thought I'd ask the collective!

I have a slate tiled floor in my kitchen. The slate is uneven and has up to 5mm of change between edges in some places. Its impossible to keep clean and I think it looks awful. The kitchen units were installed over the top of this flooring.

I would like to replace this flooring with modular wooden flooring for both ease of keeping clean, and to brighten up the room. I'm not keen to try and remove the flooring, not least because it runs under the kitchen units which I would like to keep.

I've come across a product called Jackoboard which states it can be installed as flooring over uneven substrates. I'm considering installing this over the top of the slate, and then putting wooden flooring on top of it. Does anybody have any experience of this, or have any other suggestions as to how best to deal with this?

Thanks!

cliftyhanger

posted on 8/5/21 at 05:15 AM Reply With Quote
I would be using a floor levelling compound. I can't get a perfect finish with the stuff, but I had a rental with a tiled floor done by the flooring chap, which then had a HD vinyl floor installed. All perfectly flat/smooth.
I would think 5mm is a very big ask of a board, unless very soft and thick.

watsonpj

posted on 8/5/21 at 10:20 AM Reply With Quote
You need to get the floor completely flat for laminate/wood flooring. I had some issues in a room with a slight uneven floor and I used 1 of these wood look plastic laminates that is meant to deal with that and to be honest it does but only just. Wood is not at all forgiving so I think leveling would be required. If not removing the kitchen make sure after levelling and flooring that you can get plinths in/out and also.appliance aren't trapped in (had this in a rental once).
perksy

posted on 8/5/21 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
The floor needs to be flat for laminate flooring otherwise you'll have issues with the joints separating

The other thing is laminate looks nice in a kitchen, but if you ever have a leak in the future it can cause you a real headache

Is the kitchen too big to just take the old tiles up, re-level and then fit the new flooring?

macc man

posted on 8/5/21 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
I have just fitted a ceramic tiled floor in place of a slate tiled floor. It was extremely difficult to remove and took most of the day and created so much dust. With hindsight I should have just used self lever over the slate and tiled over that. Problem comes with different levels between rooms. Be careful with any type of wood floor in a kitchen as it is likely to swell and buckle within a short time. Ask me how I know this!! I think a vinyl click floor is the best alternative to tiles in kitchens & bathrooms and I fit lots of these instead.
steve m

posted on 8/5/21 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
I would be inclined to leave the floor alone as long as its secure, but possible remove the high spots and fill in and level them

And go epoxy, like the link below, as this is what i am planning on my Parents house soon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=489D-C79Gt0

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

JoelP

posted on 9/5/21 at 06:56 AM Reply With Quote
You need to go over it with self levelling compound. We lay lots of vinyl click flooring, it's pretty straight forward.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

lsdweb

posted on 10/5/21 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
I had a particularly ugly, part-tiled floor in an old pub we own - it had been knocked around so much the floor was all over the place but really solid. Self levelling compound was the answer although it took some time. We now rent it commercially and there are no complaints although it's a funeral directors so I doubt the 'customers' would complain!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.