Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: unclear road junction
BenB

posted on 4/2/22 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
unclear road junction

There's a strange junction near my house. If there aren't any traffic signs to say it's a roundabout is this a roundabout in the middle of just an obstruction in the road. And if turning right do you go round the roundabout?
My view is that the blue sign instructing to go to the left makes it a roundabout but not sure if it applies when turning right

[img][/img]

If turning right I always dutifully go round the roundabout but not sure whether necessary!!

Partofthechaos

posted on 4/2/22 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
I'd say that's a small one way system (which is of course the same a roundabout in principle). I'd also say that from the point where the photo is taken, you have not entered the one way system and could turn right from that point.

Any accidents here?

tegwin

posted on 4/2/22 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
Pretty weird layout.

Agree with above - I would happily turn right out of there.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

dmac

posted on 4/2/22 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
I'll disagree and say that the reason the blue sign is positioned there is to tell you to go around the roundabout, might have been better to add a no right turn sign but if it is officially classed as a roundabout it wouldn't need one.
coyoteboy

posted on 4/2/22 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
It's a gyratory, the blue arrow tells you this. Turning right there is illegal and dangerous.

The moment you cross the give way line you're into the one way traffic section (clear by the lack of other lane markings separating them).

Clearly a cheaply modified junction though, not ideal.

[Edited on 4/2/22 by coyoteboy]

Mr Whippy

posted on 4/2/22 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
That's clearly just intended to be a square shaped roundabout, note that there is no give way markings where the cars are parked, meaning that's part of it.

However I can see its very poor design, having parking on what is effectively part of the roundabout and the lack of proper signage on the approach easily leading to crashes. Tbh it seems to have been designed by an idiot.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coyoteboy

posted on 4/2/22 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
Indeed.

Parking on roundabouts seems to be considered 100% normal in Scotland I've seen rows of people regularly parked around dual carriageway roundabouts with police driving round them ignoring it all. Seems the habit is spreading to the rest of the UK.

gremlin1234

posted on 4/2/22 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
I noticed the two types of road marking there, single broken line used approaching a roundabout (give way to the right), and double broken line for approaching a major road (give way in all directions)
it is very confusing, the traffic approaching on the road from the right has to treat it as a roundabout, but arriving from this direction you don't.

I note double broken lines can also be used on mini roundabouts, but this is not mini.

ken555

posted on 4/2/22 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
You would love my local roundabout.

Its called the square, and has parking all the way around it.

https://www.google.com/maps/@57.5252494,-2.0016291,3a,75y,230.18h,74.7t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s_2o0S2OYfM78y-BI9UjhcQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

So you get the added bonus of people reversing out of a space onto the roundabout.

[Edited on 4-2-22 by ken555]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
BenB

posted on 4/2/22 at 10:51 PM Reply With Quote
Glad I'm not the only one that's confused. Suspect it's a junction at which you go round the roundabout if you're considerate. If you're not you turn right and screw other road users and the police would likely wobble and do nothing..
dmac

posted on 4/2/22 at 11:18 PM Reply With Quote
We have this in Girvan which is not a roundabout but plenty of people treat it as one.

McCubbin Fountain

coyoteboy

posted on 5/2/22 at 12:03 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dmac
We have this in Girvan which is not a roundabout but plenty of people treat it as one.

McCubbin Fountain

That's weird!

SteveWalker

posted on 5/2/22 at 12:29 AM Reply With Quote
Definitely not a roundabout:

4- way give way

It regularly causes problems as two or more drivers stop, all set off, stop again, etc.

It was a simple pair of give-ways in the direction viewed, but people kept driving straight into the no-entry section from the road on the left and the council decided that turning the give-ways through 90° would make people think more. However, the residents on the other road didn't want to lose their give ways, as they slowed traffic a little. Hence this chaotic arrangement. It would have been so much easier to place a couple of bollards or an island blocking half the road on the no-entry section!

[Edited on 5/2/22 by SteveWalker]

BenB

posted on 5/2/22 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
Blimey! I think my one is straightforward compared to these!! The fountain one is like an Esher drawing, if you look at the left side it's a roundabout, if you look at the right side it's a t junction. Very odd.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.