Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: need tunes in the indy
graememk

posted on 26/5/07 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
need tunes in the indy

been thinking about putting some music in the indy, would this work ?

a cheap car hifi amp 150w type some speakers in the rear pannel behind the seats

connect and mp3 style player to the phono input of the amp via a phone to jack plug ?

anyone done it ? then i can listen to the carpenters whilst driving.

yes i know you wont be able to hear it above 40mph but its more for swmbo

RazMan

posted on 26/5/07 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
Why would you want to listen to a load of sawing and hammering?

Watch the power consumption of the setup - I have a standard CD/MP3 head unit in my car and when idling in traffic the volume 'pulses' with the bass beat, probably due to the thing drawing more than my gel battery can manage.

Interestingly, I can hear the radio and hold a conversation quite nicely up to 70mph with my roof section off.

[Edited on 26-5-07 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
gingerprince

posted on 26/5/07 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
Put a bike engine in, all the music you need
greggors84

posted on 26/5/07 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
I was thinking about doing this at some point as I'm planning to drive down to spain sometime.

I'm not sure where to put the speakers though, as Im sure there is a chassis rail going down between the seats on the rear bulkhead.

I thought maybe a hidden one behind the dash.

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

ben salt

posted on 26/5/07 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
I've done pretty much exactly what you described in my Robin Hood. Needs to be LOUD, espcially as my exhaust is right below my right ear!

I got some cheapish speakers and amp, and mounted them behind my headrests - built a wooden thing to raise them above the rear panel. Then plugged my ipod in via a 3.5mm jack to phono connection.
Boy racers in the shop told me it wouldn't work, and tried to sell me a hideously expensive head unit. Sod them!!!

MikeR

posted on 26/5/07 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
mx-5's have some speakers in the head rest. Whats wrong with getting headphones and putting the tunes into those?
Daimo_45

posted on 26/5/07 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
The best way to do it (coming from an audio engineer) would be to buy a pair of component speakers and head unit.

The reason why component speakers are a lot better than coaxial (6*9) type speakers is because the tweeter and driver are individual. This is extremely advantageous in this situation as it enables the tweeter to be mounted on the dash for instance. The high frequencies must have a clear signal path to the ear as the frequencies are extremely directional hence the reason it's very easy to attenuate all the high end just by putting your hand in front a tweeter dome on a speaker. You can fit the mid-low end driver somewhere else out of the way (door card/behind seat) as the are a little less directional and have the ability to bend round objects.

I wouldn't bother with an amp. Run the speakers from a head unit.

Component example

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 26/5/07 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
a cheap Ipod and that saves the use of ear plugs.....

millenniumtree

posted on 26/5/07 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
I was thinking I would use a marine stereo when the time comes. Completely waterproof.
You can buy marine speakers too, and mount them behind the headrests. Tweeters are small - I imagine you could put them almost anywhere.
I'll _definitely_ need some audio when I build mine - if only for playing some tunes at the local informal car meets.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scutter

posted on 26/5/07 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
Why not try an intercom, mine's a little pricey at £130 but the Starcom1, takes audio/sat nav/walkie talkie and the passenger input to either a full face helmet or if your even richer a headset.

ATB Dan.

The less I worked, the more i liked it.

rusty nuts

posted on 26/5/07 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
mx-5's have some speakers in the head rest. Whats wrong with getting headphones and putting the tunes into those?

Think headphones may be illegal?

martyn_16v

posted on 26/5/07 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scutter
Why not try an intercom, mine's a little pricey at £130 but the Starcom1, takes audio/sat nav/walkie talkie and the passenger input to either a full face helmet or if your even richer a headset.

ATB Dan.

If you're not scared of a wee bit of electronics you could go for the locost version and build one yourself. I came across this circuit on the net whilst doing a little research into building my own intercom, seems someone has already had the same idea

RazMan

posted on 26/5/07 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
You can put all your satnav, ipod etc through the head unit by getting an fm transmitter from eBay (they are legal now) and just tune in.
I've got 90 watts of satnav instructions when I need it - tend to make pedestrians jump a bit though

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

Marcus

posted on 13/7/07 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
I did it to go to France - 150W JVC amp and nice Clarion speakers. Played Ipod through it.

Complete waste of time at anything above 30 mph - now taken it out!!

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

AndyH

posted on 11/9/07 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
WOT????? WHY????? ENGINE!!!!!

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.