Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: spring rates
ricklawn

posted on 13/11/07 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
spring rates

Hi Guys
got a fury 1.8 zetec, and the shocks are in need of replacement. Any idea what spring rates would be best.
Thanks Rick

nitram38

posted on 13/11/07 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
That would depend on lots of things, like road or race use, your weight, weight of car.
Access to a cornerweight gauge would be a good start so that you can determine the weight on each corner and see what is needed. It's a pity you are not closer to me as I have a corner weight gauge.
You might be disapointed with someone else's setup, so measuring is the way to go.

ricklawn

posted on 13/11/07 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
car is mainly just for road with possibly the odd trackday.
me as driver 14st ish ( diet after xmas)

nitram38

posted on 14/11/07 at 05:55 AM Reply With Quote
I would like to be 14st!
Sorry I can't help with spring rate estimate. You will need someone else to reply with a similar set up.
Are the original springs marked?
If they are (usually on the flat ends) then at least you will have a starting reference.

brycheiniog

posted on 31/12/07 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
I recently went through this process with a live axle Fury. One of the original Spax (12 years old..) shocks dumped its oil everywhere so I decided it was time to upgrade.

Fisher recommended springs for all road cars were 180lb fronts and 130lb rears. For a road/track car they go to 225lb fronts and 180lb rears.

180/130 were on the car originally, and these worked quite well with the old xflow and 4speed box but with a Zetec and 5speed box it started to bottom out.

I ended up going for 200lb fronts and 150lb rears with a new set of protech shocks. Time will tell if this is the right idea or not .

Jonathan

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.