Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: BEC with LPG
peterriley2

posted on 27/6/06 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
BEC with LPG

i was wondering, as with the price of petrol and the kind of mpg you get with a BEC, it would be a good idea to go LPG. i wanted to know if this would be a good idea, and if anyone knew about tax rises that may be coming up for LPG, which may make it a pointless task. i was thinking that as im not yet that far i could put in a tiny normal petrol tank in the boot(in the normal place) for emergencies, and use the rest of the space that the tank usually takes up for a lpg tank. taking into account that a cylinder is going to have much less volume in the same space, would it be worth it? i wouldnt want to take up the space where the boot box will be, i at least need space for a sandwich!
i would try to DIY the LPG kit (hopefully will find somewhere to tell me how)- theres a site for diy nitrous so why not LPG? this will mean that the original outlay for lpg kit isnt one ill have to take into account.
thoughts/experiance greatly appreciated

Joel

If you dont respect yourself, dont expect respect from anyone else
Live your dreams, dont dream your life
Women only want you for one thing- everything!

Wadders

posted on 27/6/06 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
Please tell me your joking?

Originally posted by peterriley2
i was wondering, as with the price of petrol and the kind of mpg you get with a BEC, it would be a good idea to go LPG. i wanted to know if this would be a good idea, and if anyone knew about tax rises that may be coming up for LPG, which may make it a pointless task. i was thinking that as im not yet that far i could put in a tiny normal petrol tank in the boot(in the normal place) for emergencies, and use the rest of the space that the tank usually takes up for a lpg tank. taking into account that a cylinder is going to have much less volume in the same space, would it be worth it? i wouldnt want to take up the space where the boot box will be, i at least need space for a sandwich!
i would try to DIY the LPG kit (hopefully will find somewhere to tell me how)- theres a site for diy nitrous so why not LPG? this will mean that the original outlay for lpg kit isnt one ill have to take into account.
thoughts/experiance greatly appreciated

stevec

posted on 27/6/06 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
DIY LPG kit.
Hope your in BUPA.

JoelP

posted on 27/6/06 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
Beware the weight of the tank. Becs have to be light really to work as intended. Plus, to go fast, you have to try to forget fuel bills!

Whilst you could probably make it work, i think mpg is not a prority in a locost. Plus, such a highly tuned engine might not like LPG, though i may be wrong there.

Wadders

posted on 27/6/06 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
Thinking about it, it would be dead handy for camping at car shows, you could run the barbie
from it

mark chandler

posted on 27/6/06 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
I run my car on LPG, installed a sequential injection kit myself and have never looked back....

The system piggy backs on the cars ECU, three wires, tap the inlet and drop a tank in the boot.

Gas has a higher octane rating so you could turbo your BEC and not need to lower comp ratio to restore any lost performance. Get a set of ford gas injectors, use throttle bodies and megasquirt, all you then need is a vaporiser and tank.

I would not bother with petrol, two tanks and extra confusion, simply not worth the bother. If you are scared of running out an invertered LPG bottle will surfice to partially fill an empty tank using just a hose.

Regards Mark

ch1ll1

posted on 27/6/06 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
i would class my bec as a toy
and not being rude here
but who cares about the price of petrol !

you could try going with solar and a motor !

wilkingj

posted on 27/6/06 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
LPG & BEC

Get a V8... Passes everything except a petrol station

[Edited on 27/6/2006 by wilkingj]

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mark chandler

posted on 27/6/06 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
My tin top is a v8, 13mpg got a bit expensive !

NB/ for the anti LPG lobby (I guess those that have never driven an injected LPG car) Palmer motor sport use LPG at Bedford aerodrome for all thier cars...

That includes Caterham's, jags, Clio's, Audi Turbo single seaters even the go-carts.

My Bec will run petrol as I want is as fast as possible, however given that you can go twice as far per £ on Gas it may not stay that way.

Regards Mark

[Edited on 27/6/06 by mark chandler]

DIY Si

posted on 27/6/06 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
The way I see it, if you're overly worried about the fuel bill you probably shouldn't be bothering with a 7. They're supposed to go fast just about everywhere and damn the costs!
Agriv8

posted on 27/6/06 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wilkingj
LPG & BEC

Get a V8... Passes everything except a petrol station

[Edited on 27/6/2006 by wilkingj]

Yup Second that Ps Invited to the xmas paty for my local esso station

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

Tricky Dave

posted on 27/6/06 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
PPC did a decent article on LPG recently - will try and dig out the issue. Made a very strong case for it. They said that due to the higher octane rating you can run higher compression ratios (and something good with spark timing - can't remember whether it was more or less advance - reached the edge of my knowledge pretty quickly there!) without detonation problems. Sounds good to me! You'd need to be doing a lot of miles to make back the money it wold cost to do though
peterriley2

posted on 27/6/06 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
okay maybe i need to add a little more info- crazy as it may seem, the locost will be my main car, and i see no point (as it is a locost) to be spending as little as possible to make the car, then using the money saved on paying the government to go to war on companies with oil reserves, destroying nations. from general responses, it seems locost is moving alot towards 'dont care what price it is, ill just do it anyway' attitude, my opinion is go buy a caterham, and dont join the forum.
the reason id put a smaller fuel tank in is so that i wouldnt be completely stuck if i couldnt find a gas petrol station, but i suppose if i kept it topped up as long as possible, it shouldnt really be a problem.

i also want to know if this would be sva ok, i guess so as they are widely sold?

ps. sorry if this seemed like a bit of a rant or rude to anyone on here, its just that we are all exploring new ways of doing things to our cars, and the 'must be joking/wont work' (unless theres proper reason for it) answers dont help anyone, and we wouldnt move forward without pioneers.

Joel

If you dont respect yourself, dont expect respect from anyone else
Live your dreams, dont dream your life
Women only want you for one thing- everything!

caber

posted on 28/6/06 at 07:37 AM Reply With Quote
I have LPG on my Range Rover. If you speak to someone who knows you may be able to figure out a direct injection system however many of these need to start on petrol so you may still need the petrol tank.

In general timing needs to advance because the LPG burns slower than petrol so you advance to get best burn. it is higher octane and detonation or pinking is rarely a problem. Power might be slightly lower than with petrol though generally not enough to cause problems.

I know some really good convertors in Edinburgh with lots of bike knowledge, they used to race bikes! let me know if you wasnt contac info.

Caber

smart51

posted on 28/6/06 at 07:46 AM Reply With Quote
Just remember not to convert a BEC with carbs
mark chandler

posted on 28/6/06 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
Yes you need an injected system, not an induced gas via a venturi.

Starting on petrol is a myth, this is only required to get heat into the vaporiser to stop it from freezing, provided you allow 2 mins to get a bit of heat into the system or have a good anti freeze its not required. My car starts on GAS even on cold days, petrol is only there incase I cannot find a garage.

For a BEC I would have LPG only.

DIY Si

posted on 29/6/06 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
Don't get me wrong, I can see the advantages of what you're planning. I just don't think that it'll be practical to do everything you want with a bec. Especially one running lpg. You'll struggle to get to anywhere worth taking the caravan, which may do the clutch in quite quickly, and you'll have run out of fuel before you get there due to the lack of lpg stations.. If you had a cec, things become a little more sensible.
All IMHO, of course.

whp427

posted on 13/11/06 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
lpg

a cupla things, I run a shogun on lpg its fantastic. Couldn'y comment on BECs and lpg but the myth about availibility is bollocks. If you buy the booklet from the lpga there are literally over 1k stations listed. You get to your last 30 miles or so and look up the map in there, read the number, put the postcode in your gps and you are there. Always at least half the price of petrol....
the comment made by a someone about a good installer in edinburgh. please don't tell me its stenhouse motors, they knackered my first shogun good and proper eventually writing off the engine (and car). the fault they couldn't find in 2 months was found in 10 mins by the kit importer. By 22k miles on a shogun, conversion is paid for and you are into "profit". Even though my 1st shogun blew up, it had done 60k miles on gas so saved me about £5k which was more than the car was worth anyway.LPG is good and as the poster said earlier you can safely use an electric pump to fill up from a propane bottle, 100 litres for 30p... not that i would do that of course. I heard of a guy trying to fill his boat from a bottle without a pump. He tried to heat the bottle to increase pressure and blew him, his boat and half of the marina to kingdom come...

locoboy

posted on 13/11/06 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
just out of interest what sort of price would you be looking at for a reputable conversion on something like a shogun?

ATB
Locoboy

martin1973

posted on 30/12/06 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
done a couple of diy LPG convertions, quite easy really.
but i've only done single point injection and carb.

soley LPG should get free road tax to if a new build.

martin

macnab

posted on 31/12/06 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by martin1973
done a couple of diy LPG convertions, quite easy really.
but i've only done single point injection and carb.

I would really love to know who to get this conversion, not just for my 7 but my other carb cars. I went to a place in Peterhead who is suppose to be the expert and was told it was simply not possible to get a carb car converted, much to my utter dismay and confusion.

Yet I was told at the same time (by reliable sources) that the Landy folk were chucking their diesel and putting in V8's instead and running LPG!!??

I was also told that I would NOT get insurance if it wasn't signed of by a corgi inspector...

If all that I have been told is bo££ocks please let me know cos I wanted to do this years ago.

martin1973

posted on 8/1/07 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
email this chap he is a converter does mostly vw transporters mostly carb engines

steve@gasure.co.uk
he's in north wales but he may helps as he sometime travels to u for lpg convertions

martin

zxrlocost

posted on 9/1/07 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
an LPG BEC

is like getting a petrol head to have a diesel car no matter what proof you can putt in there face of the diesels performance

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

Marcus

posted on 9/1/07 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
If using LPG, remember you can't go through the channel tunnel - it's not allowed.

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.