Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Zetec and piper cams 2
Dusty

posted on 30/7/06 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
Zetec and piper cams 2

Spent a while porting a zetec phase 1 head, had it faced, new valves/springs/buckets and sparkly new Piper 285 cams which pipers promo material say just drop straight in. All bolted together with great care and the engine doesn't turn.
If you look closely at the pic below you can see that the cam lobes just don't seem to be able to penetrate the alloy of the head. Do I need softer alloy, harder cams. I know, just strip it all down, machine some slots for the lobes and reassemble but I feel a bit pi**ed off as I bought these cams because they were as wild as you can go without machining the head. Piper are off my xmas card list.
Dam. Still can't post a pic. The post a pic box is absent from my post new topic page. Will put it in archive.

gazza285

posted on 30/7/06 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
Image deleted by owner

I can see why that would annoy you. As you said, strip the heads and machine a groove for the lobe to run in.

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Monkeybasher

posted on 30/7/06 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
I too thought the piper cams bolted straight on as a while ago I thought of getting them. I guess not.

Are they def the right cams and exhaust inlet round the right way. Sorry for the somewhat simple question, no wonder your pissed off.

Dusty

posted on 30/7/06 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
Exactly. The weekends work down the pan. Only just got the head back from having it skimmed/planed true. Everything cleaned spotless, reassembled with new stretch bolts and gasket, 16 fiddly valves fitted, drenched in fresh lube, etc etc blah blah bugger!

Any idea why I can't post pics on threads I start but can post them in my archive and on other peoples threads.

Definitely the right way round but I will measure up as I take them off. Cam is marked SPORTCAM which should be right but it's going to need a slot about 4mm deep cutting. Thats not even close!

[Edited on 30/7/06 by Dusty]

Krismc

posted on 30/7/06 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
yea piper are too good a company to get sumthing simple like that wrong- unless it tells you to do so when fitting

Built, Ivaed, Drove and now Sold - 2011 MNR VORTX RT+ 2000cc Zetec on R1 Throttle boddies.

Danozeman

posted on 30/7/06 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
Could you not give them a ring or something. It doesnt sound right to me.. U shouldnt have to machine a head to fit straight swap cams.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

Dusty

posted on 30/7/06 at 11:36 PM Reply With Quote
Quick check with the vernier.
Inlet base circle - 36.18 Overall height - 46.56 Lift - 10.38 Book - 10.31
Exh base circle - 36.16 Overall height - 46.52 Lift - 9.36 Book - 9.4

Given that was a quick measure to detect cams that were wrong they seem to be OK. I guess I just have an odd head or Piper don't tell you that you need to machine clearances on the heads.

I have read all I can find in the box and on their website and the closest it comes is the warning to
'Check entire valve train for interference before starting engine, i.e.valve to piston contact, for twin cam engines, valve to valve possible contact and spring boxing.'

Still no point whinging, just get on, strip it down, do the necessary and build it up again. A warning about the need for machining would have saved time, money and wasted effort.

jollygreengiant

posted on 31/7/06 at 03:16 AM Reply With Quote
I'd still give piper a ring and say politely something like 'hay you said this doesn't need machining and its because no machining was needed that I bought them, what are you going to do about it, before I make a big issue out of it with the press.'

Worth a try you never know.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

roadboy

posted on 31/7/06 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
Be careful before machining head, the cam lobes may not run properly on the followers if they are too tall. I know to use really wild cams on the Zetec you have to fit larger followers which is an extremely expensive job. If the lobes do not contact the follower correctly they could well break it and/or ruin the camshaft. HTH
Ian

Jude Performance Services

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dusty

posted on 3/8/06 at 12:02 AM Reply With Quote
The final answer is that I appear to have an odd 2litre zetec head. They have not heard of similar problems with any other 2L. Just a case of get out the grinder and relieve the cam lobe slots.
pjavon

posted on 9/9/06 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
i've got a 1994 zetec and the cams fell in for me without having to do anything to the head

Always keep a big hammer and a condom in your toolbox, if you can't fix it with the hammer

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.