Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Tin top Visual/preventative Security
MkIndy7

posted on 2/10/06 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
Tin top Visual/preventative Security

Well I thought I had most bases covered and hopefully have as regards to stealing or getting into the car.. But how do you stop the Ba*tards Trying!.

Just had the front quarter light smashed and that was as far as they got, just got the hassle of replacing it now!

Its got a Cat1 Alarm (although the warning chirp isin't that loud due to the siren being hidden securely),
Very obvious Repeater led's when alarmed and Immobilised,
De-locked (doors can't even be opened from the inside if its locked),
No door pins, no boot lock,
Nothing visable inside the car (nothing of value, no stereo, big rear speakers on show etc). Nothing other than Mfr's standard badgeing.

I didn't get the windows tinted on the advice that it sticks the windows together so their easier to remove and don't make as loud a noice if smashed.

Anybody any other good ideas or advice to add, anything really simple and obvious i'm missing?

russbost

posted on 2/10/06 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
You need a flamethrower, like they have in S. Africa!

That should sort the toerags out! Or perhaps connect the shell to the mains? Suspect this may not be legal!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
viatron

posted on 2/10/06 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
Half starved rottie on the back seat, chemical sterilisation of the perps on conviction? Not what you wanted to hear i know but think you have most bases covered.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RazMan

posted on 2/10/06 at 11:22 PM Reply With Quote
Some would question the sense in fitting any kind of security - if they want the challenge they will always have a go no matter what you fit.
I wouldn't recommend leaving the keys in it though

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MkIndy7

posted on 2/10/06 at 11:41 PM Reply With Quote
Yeh, obviously my main idea was to stop it being stolen, but rather hoped nobody would be daft enough to try.

Kinda hoped that with the car looking so Tidy people wouldn't even attempt it as it would be highly likely to have the security to match.

Was just thinking of ways of showing off the security even better, or making it less atractive 2 thieves etc, so they don't even attempt it.... or the Flame thrower!

[Edited on 2/10/06 by MkIndy7]

chockymonster

posted on 3/10/06 at 12:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MkIndy7

Kinda hoped that with the car looking so Tidy people wouldn't even attempt it as it would be highly likely to have the security to match.

Was just thinking of ways of showing off the security even better, or making it less atractive 2 thieves etc, so they don't even attempt it.... or the Flame thrower!

Cars get broken into for the change in the ashtray. You can't protect your car from being broken into as getting into the head of a crack smoking tea leaf just isn't going to happen.

If someone thinks you may have something in the car to warrant the flashy lights and extra bells and whistles.
Do you honestly believe someone that needs a tenner for a fix really gives a toss how tidy your car is?

PLEASE NOTE - Responses on Forum Threads may contain Sarcasm and may not be suitable for the hard of Thinking.

ch1ll1

posted on 3/10/06 at 07:09 AM Reply With Quote
Try moving to some quite boring place like brightlingsea

damm ive left key in cars hoping
but they have never touched them!

or i could lend you my wife that should stop them

David Jenkins

posted on 3/10/06 at 07:13 AM Reply With Quote
Friend used to have a ratty old 2CV - never bothered to lock it, and nobody bothered to break in or steal it!

David

Catpuss

posted on 3/10/06 at 07:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
Friend used to have a ratty old 2CV - never bothered to lock it, and nobody bothered to break in or steal it!

David

If they have away with it the resulting court case would probably be the first for Glum Riding

David Jenkins

posted on 3/10/06 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote

StevieB

posted on 3/10/06 at 08:11 AM Reply With Quote
I've done quite a bit of security work with the Army (it was my trade) - the only reason for security is so that you can slow down the crims enough to either put them off or catch them. You'll always end up with some form of collateral damage, but as long a the target remains uncompromised, you've won.

Difference is, you can't shoot them when you catch them breaking into your car (which is a bloody shame really!)

Peteff

posted on 3/10/06 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
Big yellow disk lock on the steering wheel will put them off, you seem to have covered everything else.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Dusty

posted on 3/10/06 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
As an ex-GP, well known in my work area but a potential target for druggies I always neglected the car so it was rough and dirty, full ashtrays, newspaper ont the floors and seats and a cheapo radio. Never locked it but would pull up leaving a window open and an expensive steering wheel lock on. Came out of one visit late at night to find the local tearaways guarding the car, weeing themselves with laughter and the wheel lock missing. It was left at the surgery next day!
RazMan

posted on 3/10/06 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
As I was saying - some of them regard is as a challenge and little else!

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

StevieB

posted on 3/10/06 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
It's the big, prominent things that get the attention - make a lot of effort and people assume you've got something worth securing.
arrybradbury

posted on 3/10/06 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
How about a "trunk monkey", don't know how to link but try "www.trunkmonkeyad.com" for some amusing clips.
iank

posted on 3/10/06 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by arrybradbury
How about a "trunk monkey", don't know how to link but try "www.trunkmonkeyad.com" for some amusing clips.

www.trunkmonkeyad.com

RazMan

posted on 3/10/06 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
LOL Check out Number 4 - I'd buy one!!

Cheers,
Raz

MkIndy7

posted on 3/10/06 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
Well on most points i'm probably doing myself no favours in the choice of car itself..

But isin't it sad when having nice things costs you so dearly, why should you be one peanalised by society for spending your hard earnt cash and hundreds of hours work restoring a car!

Only other thing I've though of today is actually putting the alarm stickers on Doh! (probably should have done that b4) was more thinking its looks tidier without and loads of people have them and No alarm neway!

StevieB

posted on 3/10/06 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
What is the motor by the way?

Wouldn't worry about the alarm stockers - if it's a nice car, they'll assume it's got one. Besides, alarms don't deter anyone - by the time an alarm catches anyones attention, the sods have smashed the window and had the radio away, jumped in his mates car (nicked, of course!) and belted off down the road to find another.

rusty nuts

posted on 3/10/06 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
Always used to pull the fuel pump relay out on my old Golf GTI and Cavalier , Not visible but the little arseholes can't drive it away
MkIndy7

posted on 3/10/06 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by StevieB
What is the motor by the way?

I'll hide from the flack behind these Sunglasses

Its badged as an Opel Corsa A (more commonly known as a Vauxhall nova )

Just the standard GSI body kit on a complete rebuild and re-spray so nothing 2 flashy other than looking as good as new.

I fell upon the car at an excellent price and it just happened to have a C20Xe engine in

In hindsight it was probably a car asking for trouble! but I saw it more as maybe a modern classic in years to come and a challenge to rebuild.

martyn_16v

posted on 14/10/06 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Always used to pull the fuel pump relay out on my old Golf GTI and Cavalier , Not visible but the little arseholes can't drive it away

Golf's are just toe-rag magnets Some utter retard tried to steal my first one, first they tried bending the top of the door frame out enough to reach the door pin, that didn't appear to work so they then went for the trusty 'smash off the door handle and open it with your finger' manuever, which did work. They then proceeded to beat seven shades of poo out of the steering column and surround in order to break the steering lock and then made a mess of the wiring loom trying to hotwire it.

If they had been slightly more observant they could have saved themselves considerable time and effort by a) going in through the rear hatch, which was open all the time due to a duff lock, and b) not bothered at all, the reason it wouldn't start is that the engine was 20 feet away in my garage. You'd think the front end pointing skyward should have been a pretty good clue, but apparently not.

RazMan

posted on 14/10/06 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by martyn_16v
... the reason it wouldn't start is that the engine was 20 feet away in my garage. You'd think the front end pointing skyward should have been a pretty good clue, but apparently not.

ROFL - classic!

Cheers,
Raz

JB
Senior Builder

Posts 436
Registered 20/5/04

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built: V8 Kitten, 2 litre Lada, Space frame Minor,

posted on 1/12/06 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
QR Steering Wheel

Quick release steering wheel.

I once left my car in the centre of Leeds (when you could park on the street in the centre) with no doors on (the doors used to lift of for summer motoring!) and no steering wheel. Thing is I left the keys in the ignition complete with my house keys on the same ring.

I got back and everything was OK.

I was talking to someone years later and they said they saw the car, open with the keys in and they thought if I was confident enough to do that then it must have some hell of a security system!

Problem is the youths now probably do not have that much intelligence.

There is no easy answer to stop scum bags doing your car.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.