Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: which engine oil and how much
mad dad

posted on 11/10/06 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
which engine oil and how much

about to do engine oil and filter change for first time (since i've bought car - for piece of mind) on a 1999 fireblade engine wondered what was best oil - fully synthetic or semi and been told to put in 4 litres. interested to hear what everyones thoughts/experiences are, Thanks

INDY BIRD

posted on 11/10/06 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
If you are suffolk based best person to ask is Andy at AB performance located in Bury St Edmunds.

Good bloke tel no 01449 736633

He knows everything about blade engines as he races them and prepares other race cars.

Cheers
Sean

bigrich

posted on 11/10/06 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
i personally would use a good quality motorcycle semi synthetic and always a genuine filter. some say fully synthetic can cause clutch slipping problems. as for level i just used to fill mine to the top of the sight glass(very slightly over full)
zetec7

posted on 11/10/06 at 11:31 PM Reply With Quote
My Kawasaki 1000 has alway had Motul, since the bike was new. No noticable wear on the clutch, no slipping, no consumption in over 100,000 kms! 'Spensive, tho...
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mad dad

posted on 12/10/06 at 07:23 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for that will give Andy a call there's a few other things i can ask him as well!!!........cheers

Catpuss

posted on 12/10/06 at 07:30 AM Reply With Quote
IIRC API-SG, semi or fully synthetic oil.

For a blade engine I would double check but probably semi synth. Full synth on an engine that is normally semi can result in some oil consuption, but thats about it.

I've always used semi on bike 4-stroke engines even my old '88 GSX600F & GS500 I used to have.

I'd go for something like the Castrol GPS(?). I've tried the Halfords own brand which is just a rebadged and is good enough. The only problem with this stuff is that its supplied in some odd size where you end up with half a litre or so spare.

trifield

posted on 12/10/06 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
I use Motul semi synth and all my biker mates use it in their blades.
If you are ever out on a run and need to top up the oil for whatever reason, you'll find it difficult to buy fully synth from a normal petrol station but they usually have semi synth.

mad dad

posted on 13/10/06 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks everyone spoke to Andy at AB really helpful so Castrol GTS it is will get some at weekend and a new filter.....

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.