Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Changing roll bar colour (blasting and powdercoat question)
hobbsy

posted on 22/2/07 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
Changing roll bar colour (blasting and powdercoat question)

I want to change my roll bar either completely (to one that a bit kinder to passengers - its a bit of a selfish roll bar that only really protects the driver) or if I keep my existing one I want to change the colour as its bright yellow and it doesn't go with the red bodywork (I cheated and bought the car already built!!!)

So if I want a kind of matt/satin black finish I'm assuming some kind of sand/shot/bead blasting swiftly followed by powdercoating would give the best results in terms of finish and durability?

Am I right? If not what are the other options

If I am right what kind of money do you think it will cost to blast then powder coat and does anyone know any good places in or near Northampton.

TIA!

PS I also need to fashion some kind of helmet pad unless I can cheat and buy one or adapt something fairly cheaply. I've not seen many for sale and the one I did seemed quite expensive for what it was.

DIY Si

posted on 22/2/07 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
I don't know of any companies local (mainly because I've had no need to look), but most powder coating places should be able to media blast it clean and re-coat it. Does the new roll bar have a bar for the helmet pad, or will you have to add one? You should be able to make one from a bit of stiff foam and hardboard and cover it with vinyl, or your material of choice. Then it's just a case of adding a clamp to the back of it. That way it's adjustable should you ever sell the car.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

Trev D

posted on 22/2/07 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
Hi I had mine blasted and powder coated satin black the company that powder coated mine is Midland Product Finishing,
number 3 Heathfield Way Kingsheath Northampton 01604 755255. If you want to have a look at the finish that they produce pop round as I am only round the corner from you. Hope this is of help.

regards Trev

iank

posted on 22/2/07 at 11:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hobbsy
PS I also need to fashion some kind of helmet pad unless I can cheat and buy one or adapt something fairly cheaply. I've not seen many for sale and the one I did seemed quite expensive for what it was.

Stingray Motorsport (sales arm of Sylva) sell ones for the Sylva riot £58 a pair - doubt you'll get much cheaper without making them yourself.
http://www.stingraymotorsport.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=126

donut got some a while ago
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=47001

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Confused but excited.

posted on 22/2/07 at 11:54 PM Reply With Quote
"its bright yellow and it doesn't go with the red bodywork"
Oh I don't know, red and yellow looked OK on Noddy's.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.