Board logo

ARDS test
sickbag - 31/3/14 at 04:34 PM

Hi guys,

I'm finally getting close to finishing my MK and would like to get my race license sorted out as I may enter some towards the end of this year (RGB fingers crossed). My daughter would also like a go at racing and we'll probably share the car and race in different sessions.

My question is would we have to purchase seperate 'Go Racing Packs' at £100 each, or can we just buy one and share the information? I know we can share the DVD and the ebook but I notice the pack comes with an application form. Can I just copy this or is there a unique number on it?

I know I'll have to stump up the £250'ish for each of the actual ARDS tests, but £600 is slightly more affordable than £700.

Thanks guys,

Tony.

chrism - 31/3/14 at 04:59 PM

You do need 2 packs as the pack includes the cost of the first licence, but the website says if you buy 2 or more together you get a discount, its not much though as 2 packs are £177 plus vat.

Also have a check with your local track as they may do a deal like Knockhill where they include the pack and test for £325.

http://driving-experience.knockhill.com/bespoke-competition-licence- ards.php

[Edited on 31/3/14 by chrism]

daniel mason - 31/3/14 at 05:42 PM

why not go for a non race national B license? you can then sprint or hillclimb the car and share it on the day at events but in the same class!

sickbag - 31/3/14 at 07:19 PM

I do like the idea of hill climbs, especially until I know the car has been put together well enough to stand a bit of abuse, but always thought you still needed a 'proper' license to compete. I'll do a little research, but I think it would be a good starting point anyway even if just going by the cost to compete.

I used to race bikes and I just thought the next logical step would be circuit racing with a car.

Thanks for planting that seed

chrism - 31/3/14 at 09:42 PM

http://www.hillclimbandsprint.co.uk/docs/gettingstartedguide.pdf

daniel mason - 31/3/14 at 09:54 PM

non race national B is £38 I think.and no test needed. then if you have all safety gear. 8856-2000 suit,FIA gloves and lid. and your car complies. your ready to go! if you need any info on championships/events, let me know. much cheaper than circuit racing! but the competition seems fierce!

sickbag - 31/3/14 at 10:29 PM

Thanks for the link to HSA - I've been reading through the documents on there and prety much come to the conclusion that hill climbing is the way to go.

I was a bit confused about the different classes of the non-racing B license, but think I need the LEA one at £43.

All I need to do now is apply for it, and the not so small job of completing the car

Thanks guys.

Duncan36 - 1/4/14 at 07:28 AM

I wouldn't discount RGB, there is much more run off for mistakes on a circuit compared to a lot of hill climbs and you won't find a friendlier place than the RGB paddock.

sickbag - 1/4/14 at 07:38 AM

Or pay the extra £17 each for the full license (+ the ARDS fee) and see how I go towards the end of the year. I still want to go circuit racing but want to see how competitive both the car and I am before spending more than necessary. If I can keep everything together this year then I'll join the RGB series next.

Trollyjack - 1/4/14 at 08:56 AM

Once you decide to go racing
it can cost you Big £
you will need full FIA safety equipment.
Race suit
Gloves
Boots
Helmet
Under wear
that £1000
Fire Extinquisher
£100

Not to mention transponder
£300

and entry fees around £300 per meeting

thefreak - 1/4/14 at 12:05 PM

Granted circuit racing [I]is[/I] more expensive, but then it's a different thrill.
Hill climbing is about getting the course right, nailing the corners and braking points against the clock.

The buzz of sitting next to 20+ other cars on the grid all trying to get into that corner first while making sure the guy behind doesn't dive up the inside for 15-20 minutes, corner after corner, lap after lap is like nothing else.

I imagine hill climbing is similar to practice/qually for a circuit race. Trying to get the perfect lap while in a world of your own.

I would say for any car nut, having at least 1 proper circuit race in your life is a must. You watch it every other weekend on TV and always think to yourself you could do it... go for it!

Trollyjack - 1/4/14 at 09:46 PM

I know that why I'm building my own Locost going to do some trackdays this year and hope to race next year.

Cannot wait.